Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Sorento owners. I have two problems that I am hoping you can help with. I have an 07 BL facelift model with the 3.3l auto.

No.1. When I pull up to a stop (like a set of traffic lights), the car will come to a stop. I will then feel a bump type of sensation which feels as if it comes from the rear of the car. Upon accelerating away, the engine will rev up followed by a bump and then the car will move. All of this happens in the space of a split second mind you. I have taken it to the dealer who have indicated that the bushes that attach the trailing arms to the Diff move up and down as the vehicle stops and moves off. Brand new bushes were fitted, but still the same thing happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

No.2 At random times, when I go to start the car, I will turn the key and release, just before the car starts (like a habit of timing developed over a repetitive use). Sometimes as well, the engine will strat and then stall. If I do not remove the key, then turning it again will only cause the engine to crank over. It will not start until the key is removed and re-inserted. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

Terry
:confused:

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Hello fellow Sorento owners. I have two problems that I am hoping you can help with. I have an 07 BL facelift model with the 3.3l auto.

No.1. When I pull up to a stop (like a set of traffic lights), the car will come to a stop. I will then feel a bump type of sensation which feels as if it comes from the rear of the car. Upon accelerating away, the engine will rev up followed by a bump and then the car will move. All of this happens in the space of a split second mind you. I have taken it to the dealer who have indicated that the bushes that attach the trailing arms to the Diff move up and down as the vehicle stops and moves off. Brand new bushes were fitted, but still the same thing happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

No.2 At random times, when I go to start the car, I will turn the key and release, just before the car starts (like a habit of timing developed over a repetitive use). Sometimes as well, the engine will strat and then stall. If I do not remove the key, then turning it again will only cause the engine to crank over. It will not start until the key is removed and re-inserted. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

Terry
:confused:
Torque on Demand, or the 2x4 or 4x4? The rear driveshaft will "bump" coming to a stop and when taking off. Usually fixed by servicing the oil in bulb on the rear axle. Surprised the dealer didn't think to check this.

Not sure about your second issue about it not starting :( Any codes thrown?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Can also be caused by a dry slip joint on the rear tailshaft. Try greasing it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will pose both back to the dealer.

My car is a part time 4 x 4, not Torque on Demand.

Code 1638 if I remember correctly. Could be wrong.

Terry

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,930 Posts
I have an 07 BL facelift model with the 3.3l auto.

..... My car is a part time 4 x 4, not Torque on Demand.
UK Spec?? As far as I am aware all UK 3.3V6 models (as rare as they are in the UK) were TOD equipped (XS/XT/Titan variants).

Your second issue may be connected with the immobiliser system. What does the 'immo' light on the dashboard do during the process?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Check the fluid level in your gearbox.
Mine was doing the bump occasionally.

I have overfilled the gearbox when i serviced it. Drained out too much, and started doing the bump thing occasionally. Put the correct amount back in, and all good on first test drive.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
UK Spec?? As far as I am aware all UK 3.3V6 models (as rare as they are in the UK) were TOD equipped (XS/XT/Titan variants).

Interesting 3.3 part time 4WD models are relatively common here although the 2.5 diesel was more popular.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can also be caused by a dry slip joint on the rear tailshaft. Try greasing it.
Months of back and forward to the Kia Dealer, and they could not rectify the problem. I even mentioned this and also said that there was a TSB for an earlier model that exhibited the same problem, but they did not listen. Took it to another dealer/service centre today, test drove, found the problem, lubricated the slip joint (as suggested), problem fixed - and feels great again. The first Kia dealer has lost all my confidence with them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the starting/ignition problem that I had experienced is also corrected. A wiring patch that is actually applicable to the Kia sportage (similar year) was applied. Apparently, some Sorento's experience an inability to pick up the signal from the key. The wiring patch corrects this. At least the first Kia dealership did get this done, though all they did was look it up. No real diagnosis work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts