Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kia sorento 4x4 auto diesel 2007 left hand drive and the transfer box needs replacing. can anyone tell me if lhd transfer box is same as rhd?
Also, where on earth can I buy one????
I am in Spain so would need it posting out-joy!:(
Would a second hand one be an option? Or a reconditioned one, if they do that.
Any idea of costs involved?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
As far as I am aware the transfer case is the same LHD or RHD. Where you would get one in Spain, I'm not sure, although I thought Sorento's were more common in Europe than here.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
what are your symptoms that makes you say you need a whole new transfer case?
its just this is the first one i have heard of....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were originally told it was the rear diff. but another garage has told us it is the transfer box. We are in Spain but both garages are English. Who do we believe?
I think maybe we will have to take it to the Kia dealer for diagnosis and then see about getting it repaired. It is a bit scarey as the price seems astronomical- we have seen second hand boxes here for nearly 1500 euros and who is to say they actaully work?
maybe a trade in will be better?!!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
any lights on your dash showing up?
When you try and put it into 4wd or low range what happens?

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,899 Posts
If it really is the transfer case, there was a company in UK doing refurbs for about £700. Follow link in my sig and then go to "Links" section of forum. Don't know if they would consider shipping to Spain (never needed to use them!)

If it is TOD and the clutch pack is gone, that can be replaced (should be available as a part from dealer).

Could just be that you have recently replaced some tyres??

Like RandomBob says, need details of the symptoms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are going to take it to Kia next week to get the correct diagnosis before we buy anything. The symptoms are a whirring noise which increases as you accelerate. At speed you cannot hear it. We run the car in 4x4 mode at all times.
gee6-do you know the name of the company in the UK?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I hope it is a TOD box because running the standard part time 4WD box in 4WD all the time is not good for it at all, due to windup.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If your 4WD shift knob says 2Hi-4Hi-4Lo then it is a part time system and you should not drive it on hard surfaces in 4WD.

If it just says Auto and Low then you are fine as it is TOD and will only call up 4WD when needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your 4WD shift knob says 2Hi-4Hi-4Lo then it is a part time system and you should not drive it on hard surfaces in 4WD.

If it just says Auto and Low then you are fine as it is TOD and will only call up 4WD when needed.
It is auto and lo so we keep it in auto all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts