Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, it seems I have ran pretty low in terms of automatic transmission fluid and as a result from not checking from time to time, the transmission or transaxle? seems to be slipping, leaking, and, when it's low on oil, SMOKES.

The O/D light also flashes on and off as well.
Does that have to do with a transmission sensor of some-sort?

it happened last night after my last run of pizza delivering, and still continues today. (Which is the 2nd day)

After each delivery, I ran to the shell market to buy some transmission oil to temporarily rid of the smoke and slipping, but leaves a trail of oil behind after my delivery..and then.. well, it starts slipping and smoking again.

I want to try to fix this myself before sending it off to a mechanic, because honestly, I'm broke, mom's broke, and I feel like I should be responsible for repairing my car.

HOWEVER if everything gon' FUBAR then I'll have to send it off to a Mechanic.
Please and thank you!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Unless you have some experience, it's very unlikely that you'll have much luck. I've never heard of a home-repairer attacking an auto transmission. Unlikely that any seals that might be leaking will be accessible without dismantling, but do have a look at the drain plug and anything else you see underneath that might give you a clue as to the source of the leak.

It's generally called a transaxle when it incorporates the final drive - that adds extra complexity, because on a conventional rear drive with separate differential etc., you can more easily remove the gearbox.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
well first off have you jacked up the car and crawled under and looked to see where its leaking as it could be a simple fix and any repair will depend on your mechanical expertise .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts