Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
anything that meets the specifications listed in the back of your owners manual.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
ONLY PUT KIA SPIII IN YOUR TRANSMISSION!!! It is not all that expensive, and anything else WILL destroy your tranny. It's not worth the up-front savings when you have to replace your transmission in 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
ONLY PUT KIA SPIII IN YOUR TRANSMISSION!!! It is not all that expensive, and anything else WILL destroy your tranny. It's not worth the up-front savings when you have to replace your transmission in 5,000 miles.
If you don't mind my asking, what about the "Multi-Vehicle" Synthetics that are on the market, especially if the documentation says it is suitable where Kia SPIII is required?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
sorry dont have one of those
all info available on KGIS and free download of owners manual too :D

2008 Sedona with 3.8L engine

Recommended transaxle oil - Diamond ATF SP III or SK ATF SP III
check and replenishment - one year or every 20,000 km
replacement - normal use: not required; severe use*: every 40,000 km

* Severe use(marked '*') is defined as:
1. Driving on rough road(bumpy road, gravel road, snowy road, unpaved road etc.).
2. Driving on mountain road, ascent/descent.
3. Repetition of short distance driving.
4. More than 50% operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 32°C(89.6°F).
5. Police car, Taxi, Commercial type operation or trailer towing, etc.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what about the "Multi-Vehicle" Synthetics that are on the market, especially if the documentation says it is suitable where Kia SPIII is required?
"Suitable" versus "Meets" is a slippery slope common in "jack of all trades, master of none" type fluids lingo found on many bottles. Suitable isn't good enough for me.

Now if a reputable manufacturer (say Valvoline) says it "meets or exceeds" SPIII that's entirely acceptable IMO.

There is at least one reputable aftermarket SPIII fluid on the market but I can't remember who makes it. The dealer fluid would be the best route to ensure you are getting the right stuff.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Honestly, I don't see why you'd want to risk it. SPIII is $7/quart at the dealership. Those multi-vehicle synthetics are more expensive, and though they may MEET the specifications, the transmission is engineered, tested, and built to run SPIII.

·
Registered
'07 Kia Spectra '07 Kia Sedona
15 Posts
I would go with what people are saying here... I can verify through experience!!!
Sears changed my tranny fluid and within 5000 miles, dealer and other mechanic said transmission fluid smelled burnt...needless to say, had to get a new transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought 2010 sedona, transmission is slipping after speed, stop and acceleration. I'm going to change the fluid, is it something easy to do in my garage? how many quarts do I need? thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
new 2010 Sedona owner.

Just bought sedona because my 2003 escpae trany is out, and now I found that my transmission is slipping, I'm going to change the trans fluid, but I'm scared to death that I will have a trans problem again.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've done it in my driveway, it's pretty simple. Procedure is listed on KGIS. You should be fine with 5 quarts. Measure what comes out, and put the same amount back in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I ended calling KIA dealer, and my car has two recalls, computer patch and door latch. I will do the transmission fluid change after.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You may want to get 6 quarts, but basically It just drains the fluid in the pan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car performance increased a lot after computer upgrade. Still having a strong jerk after speeding brake and jerks around 30 mph.

So today I changed trans fluid, 5qrts came out, but my last reading before the fluid change was way above the hot mark, so I put 4qrts and went to check the level, but I can't get a reading on the dipstick, drove the car for few minutes to warm it, car feels grate but I'm still not getting any level reading. Does the dipstick only show the last quarter? How long are the dipsticks?, I was looking a YouTube video of another Sedona and the dipstick was almost double in length.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts