Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of transmission fluid does the '06 Sedona use?
How much did I need to change it?
I am still looking for a owners manual.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Hyundai/Kia SPIII fluid. You will need about 5qts for a drain and fill. I would recommend getting the Kia fluid. There are very few other brands that that are compatible, and they cost just as much as the Kia fluid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
Now for another question, is there a drain plug on the trans?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet.
Just like the Volvo we just sold and just like my Land Rover, God I love imports, they make maintenance so easy.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no serviceable filter on the '06-newer Sedona/Entourage.
Kia Motors asked for it to be deleted, it is a internal filter and lasts the life of the transmission.
If you really want to change it you need to remove the engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is there a filter on the transmission? Drain and refill seems fine to me but shouldn't you change the filter?
There is no serviceable filter on the '06-newer Sedona/Entourage.
Kia Motors asked for it to be deleted, it is a internal filter and lasts the life of the transmission.
If you really want to change it you need to remove the engine.
How many miles is transmission rated for without a filter change?
(Let me guess ,Warranty on powertrain is 10/100,000 miles (to the original purchaser only) so it's not going to be much beyond that - unless you're on the hwy most of the time.)

RE: Having to remove the *engine (LOL) to service (replace) the transmission filter.

So what you're saying is KIA has in effect designed a throw away transmission, eh?

Have to remove the ENGINE?
AFAIK from little I've read on the subject you have to split the transmission cases to gain access to filter so both? engine and transmission have to come out.. (I guess you just drop the whole sub-frame /engine cradle- engine/transmission and all- and then split engine /trans... the split the trans to gain access to the filter.

Sounds sort of pricey... No-one is going to do that- so it's a throw-away-transmission.

RELATED: For how many years does mfg provide factory refurbs... I see them listed now, does anyone really think mfg will be providing such (at a reasonable cost) 10+ years out?

PS: Please excuse the negative tone of my comments- it is not against you - It's against the idiots that designed a transmission in such a way.

They don't want the transmission to last beyond the warranty period , or should I say the time frame they figure "they" will be responsible.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
(Let me guess ,Warranty on powertrain is 10/100,000 miles (to the original purchaser only) so it's not going to be much beyond that - unless you're on the hwy most of the time.)
I bought mine used from a Honda dealer and got documentation stating the original 10 yr/100k powertrain warranty was still in effect.

If Kia designed the transmission to fail right after the warranty period, I can assure you it will be the last Kia I own if it does. So far, at 37,300 miles it has been awesome and I have zero complaints about it. I may change out the fluid at 40k instead of the 50k that I was originally going to do and the 60k interval that Kia recommends to extend the life of the transmission, which minivans of all manufacturers are NOTORIOUSLY hard on. I want this van to last me at least 10 years and 200k miles...I tend to drive vehicles into the ground before replacing them, it saves money and car loans in the long run.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought mine used from a Honda dealer and got documentation stating the original 10 yr/100k powertrain warranty was still in effect.

If Kia designed the transmission to fail right after the warranty period, I can assure you it will be the last Kia I own if it does. So far, at 37,300 miles it has been awesome and I have zero complaints about it. I may change out the fluid at 40k instead of the 50k that I was originally going to do and the 60k interval that Kia recommends to extend the life of the transmission, which minivans of all manufacturers are NOTORIOUSLY hard on. I want this van to last me at least 10 years and 200k miles...I tend to drive vehicles into the ground before replacing them, it saves money and car loans in the long run.

I too like you want a trans that is good for 200k miles- I don't see how a trans- especially as it ages can go without multiple filter changes. (unless you're on the highway the majority of the time.)

The mfg has run the numbers- they figure most people will trade off the car within a short time after the 5yr/ 60k mile expires, this releasing them from warranty claims after that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

RE: Having to remove the *engine (LOL) to service (replace) the transmission filter.

So what you're saying is KIA has in effect designed a throw away transmission, eh?

Have to remove the ENGINE?
AFAIK from little I've read on the subject you have to split the transmission cases to gain access to filter so both? engine and transmission have to come out.. (I guess you just drop the whole sub-frame /engine cradle- engine/transmission and all- and then split engine /trans... the split the trans to gain access to the filter.

Sounds sort of pricey... No-one is going to do that- so it's a throw-away-transmission.

RELATED: For how many years does mfg provide factory refurbs... I see them listed now, does anyone really think mfg will be providing such (at a reasonable cost) 10+ years out?

PS: Please excuse the negative tone of my comments- it is not against you - It's against the idiots that designed a transmission in such a way.

They don't want the transmission to last beyond the warranty period , or should I say the time frame they figure "they" will be responsible.

No harm taken, I understand your questions/frustration.
Here is the thing, almost no transmissions come with a serviceable filter these days, there is a fine screen inside the trans, you back flush the trans with a machine and a special cleaner.
The cleaner dislodges the gunk and suspends it so it can be carried away to the flushing machine.
As long as you change your trans fluid often and do not over heat the trans it will last almost forever.
Once the clutches wear out it will then need to be rebuilt or replaced, I would buy a used one if the cost of a rebuild was to high.
Here are the things that kill any trans quick, overheating it, not coming to a complete stop before switching gears, using the wrong fluid, never changing the fluid or running it low on fluid.
I do a drain and fill once a year, trans fluid is cheap compared to a new trans.
If your trans fluid is dark it is because it is old and worn out or has been overheated.
Seriously though, a simple drain and fill every spring is a great way to make a trans last a very very long time.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
No harm taken, I understand your questions/frustration.
Here is the thing, almost no transmissions come with a serviceable filter these days, there is a fine screen inside the trans, you back flush the trans with a machine and a special cleaner.
The cleaner dislodges the gunk and suspends it so it can be carried away to the flushing machine.
As long as you change your trans fluid often and do not over heat the trans it will last almost forever.
Once the clutches wear out it will then need to be rebuilt or replaced, I would buy a used one if the cost of a rebuild was to high.
Here are the things that kill any trans quick, overheating it, not coming to a complete stop before switching gears, using the wrong fluid, never changing the fluid or running it low on fluid.
I do a drain and fill once a year, trans fluid is cheap compared to a new trans.
If your trans fluid is dark it is because it is old and worn out or has been overheated.
Seriously though, a simple drain and fill every spring is a great way to make a trans last a very very long time.
How exactly do you "back flush" a transmission? You can't change the direction of flow through the transmission. A transmission flush machine exchanges the fluid. There is a cleaner that is installed that loosens deposits, which are then removed when the exchange is done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A special machine back flushes the system, it hooks up to the trans cooler lines, and then it pumps the cleaner and fluid backwards through the system.
That is what I was told by the Mitsubishi dealer when I owned my 2001 Montero.
Again no trans filter, only a screen.

Thank you for the owners manual.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
In my experience, the filter is nothing to worry about. At 162,000 miles, my original transmission in the Sedona EX had an internal failure and lost it's reverse. My dealer installed a reman for free (it's good to know people). Those 162,000 miles were all really hard stop and go delivery miles. I bought it at 131,000 miles, and the 30,000 miles I put on it were even harder than the original owner's. Even so, the failure was NOT due to the filter in any way. I also have a 2006 Sedona LX with 213,000 miles and original transmission, but almost all highway miles. It has only had fluid changed twice, and it shifts and drives better than the van with the reman that only has 30,000 miles on it (190,000 on the odo).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts