Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find the instruction to change the trans filter on the 2.0L sportage? I looked in the whole automatic transaxle section of kiatech with no instructions for the filter only for the fluid. Did I miss it someplace?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
I don't believe that you cn change the filter.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Looking around the filter manufactures, they state the trans. needs to removed an disassembled to gain access. They sell the part but doesn't include installation.
Also looking at kiateck its not a 10 min. job. If you have a working relationship with a kia service rep. they may give you some insight or short cut. Good luck.
chief

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to remove the trans to replace filter? At dealer the listed price of trans service, (includes drain, flush, filter change and refill) for 199.00. Now assuming you have to remove the whole trans, how do they do this service in about 2 hours for under 200, when parts are at least 60 bucks and labor, that is 93.00 an hour.. I was quoted this from my dealer. Just trying to save some money, as the filter is under 20 bucks.
Dealer will not give out service instructions is why I was asking here.
I just cant even find the filter instructions on Kia-Tech.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, why would that make it this way? Change just the fluid at every interval? Seems kinda useless if your filter gets dirty, which I assume over time it would, and have just clean fluid. Odd I guess. Cant change the fuel filters, cant change trans filters, what the hell is with this?

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
you can NOt change the filter by removing the pan. I tried, and it is not even in there. My buddy, who runs a shop, says they are "not serviceable" just like many other manufacturers now. You have the system flushed and install new fluid, and it basically cleans the filter. The only way to get that filter out, is to split the case, as in tear the tranny apart. I really do not know why they do it that way, but from what my buddy tells me, the reliability is so high these days, and with all of the electronics and such, that the average joe is actually more apt to cause problems inside the modern tranny by attempting to service the filter, than any good he would ever do. Basically, the filters are designed to last the life of a transmission, and by simply changing the fluid at required intervals, is all that is really necessary.

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
I have to agree. I tried replacing my trans filter like 2 years ago, and when you remove the trans pan, You are just facing a TON of solenoids. There is no filter behind that trans pan that i saw. I felt very defeated having to re-assemble my engine bay after all that work to get the oil pan off, and not find a filter in there. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts