Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
auto or std?
auto --- cable / linkage adjustment, wiring connection.
std. --- air in the hyd. system, bleed as needed.
chief

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto.....its all good double checked it also...fluid is acting werid...it seems to fill slow...like air is stuck....how much fluid for a dry install

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
7.8 qts. or 6.7 l atf 2 or 3
Was the trans control cable reinstalled on throttle body?
Was the trans from the same year? The tcm may not operate it if different.
Try the moving gear selector from f / r to bleed out air while running.
chief

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i double check that and still nothing....same exact tranny and numbers on id sticker...swapped the range sensor for s&g's re-connected and sensors....could the torque convertor not be in the tranny all the way and not operating the pump hence the fluid issue??? But its not in the tranny all the way then how is it bolted up perfectly????

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes it could. You may have broken the ears off the end of the torque converter and damage the pump. When installing torque converter you insert it an turn until it lines up with the mating slots .Testing the pressure may be in order.
Not trying to insult you but were the converter bolts to the flex plate reinstalled. a friend of mine did that once ( only once ).
chief

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yea i replaced them...because most of the stripped...i really dont think the tranny is bad ima going to unbolt it and double check the convertor...thanks chief for all the help

·
Registered
340 Posts
Another Quick though. Did you change the trans filter, if so maybe the o ring became dislodged causing a vacuum leak. Just a though. easier to check then removing the trans.
chief

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea its a brand new screen....when i was putting it in i had trouble getting the bolts to bolt to the torque convertor...i had to like push the flywheel towards the flexplate...i didnt have the tranny bolted all the way when i did this... I did this cause it seemed the bolts werent long enough to reach the tor. Con. So i think if i unbolt the tor. Con. And have the trans bolted up i might have a shot at positioning it in the right spot...?!?!?!?!?!?! Maybe idk what do u think????

·
Registered
340 Posts
Kia Torque Converters - Precision of New Hampton
Check this exploded view ,see the slotted noise piece , if broken it will not drive the pump.
Hopefully that didn't happen, the broken pieces are now in the transmission. The pump should have matching tabs that fit into the slots. If they didn't mate up an you tighten the transmission the converter would extend out about 3/4 to 1 inch. When tighten it would be jammed into the pump.
Hope this helps
chief

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
These may seem redundant, so apologies in advance, but have you confirmed:

The AT shift linkage is hooked up correctly at the throttle body, and adjusted,

The Trans. selector switch position is indexed when in (N)eutral to the mark on the trans above the switch,

That the Parking pawl (inside the trans) is releasing when the Trans. selector (in passenger cabin) is in (N)eutral, e.g.: the vehicle can be freely rolled / the parking pawl is not engaged?

That all connectors are hooked up and secure?

Please note that my Kia Sportage auto trans. repair experience is (nil), but hope these observations help,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
340 Posts
A couple more quick questions.
Is this the same problem you had with the first trans ?
Have you checked all the grounds ( these buggies are very ground sensitive ) . The ground from the neg. terminal on the battery to the bat. tray, also the tray mounting bolts ( battery removal require ).
Is the check engine light on, if so what is the code?
Do you have a donor vehicle ? spare parts car.
Check the the tcm plug connection.
chief

1 - 13 of 13 Posts