Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched lots and lots of info on here about my problem and I saw lots of transmission issues, but nothing that described what I was seeing exactly. I have 115k miles on my car, it has been taken care of, but now, and not every time, but more frequently. When I get in the car and start to drive, if i advance all the way to D..it does not engage, but instead sticks in R..I can move the stick the R, it shifts in gear really hard, and back up about 20 feet, then move it to N, wait a second and then slowly to D, it will then engage and I will have no other issues, it wont jump out of gear, has plenty of power, shifts correctly.

the other weird thing is when I am having trouble getting it in D, the R light on the dash stays on and when I press the brake, the R and P lights come on..weird I know...Any thoughts?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,527 Posts
Sounds like you are low on trans fluid. Even 2 quarts low, your trans does not want to shift. Have you ever changed your trans fluid?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
Your transmission is made by Mitsubishi and the model is F4A42

Most KIAs have mode selector switch on top of the transmission that is moved by the shift linkage...They can be very intermittent from corrosion. Look to see if you have one... If so try moving the shift lever back and forth from Park to the lowest gear 10~20 times to scrape off oxidation while the car is off and the emergency brake on.. The contacts move over a bunch of fixed contacts and the movement may clean them... If you find the tranny works somewhat better you might want to replace this switch assembly. Your D and R lights may also use those contacts.

Here's a file that talks about your tranny...
Lots of technical stuff...
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57Xc0Fxcy1xOXZfWEE/edit?usp=sharing

If you are willing to signup at this site heres a traning manual..
Video Training Mitsubishi Automatic Transmission F4A41, F4A42 2002

and of course ....kiatechinfo.com
Hope this helps...
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts