Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Have purchased a used 2001 Kia Sophia with 85000klm on it
this thing shifts (automatic) very hard when hot ...is this normal ?
i also noticed it takes it own synthetic fluid not available from most trani shops ...kia specific ...quoted like two hun canadian to change fluid ...what a rip ..

·
Registered
2002 Kia Magentis
219 Posts
At 81K, today, I just went to Mr Mube to have my tranny fluid changed. They did their Tech flush(?) and used new fluid. The guy told me it will say Hyundai fluid on the invoice because that is the type of fluid specified. It cost me $120 including the taxes. He also mentioned that a filter change is next to impossible and is not usually done. I'm in Edmonton.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The KIA ATF is the same as Hyundai and Mitsubishi. You can check with any of these dealers for their SP3 ATF and whichever is cheaper/qt buy it. My Kia is standard but my Galant uses the same fancy ATF and actually if you put anything else in it get shift delays. Also on my Galant you have to check the fluid level in Neutral (as opposed to Park), so read your manula and see how you have to check it. Low ATF could cause the same symptoms.
I won't really think that a flush could "fix" much. Check the fluid color see if it is burned. Also I am not sure where the filter is that they didn't change it, but I think most of the horor stories from flushes come from not changing the filter, because all the junk gets mobilized and trapped in the filter and your oil pressure drops. If thye are not going to change the filter I will go with couple of drain and refills at 2-4KMiles.
After all this I should mention that I don't know much about auto trannies, so have it checked by a reputable shop in your area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts