Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 sorento lx v6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for some help with my 2013 sorento LX V6. The truck came prepaired for towing for wiring connectors. I recently bought the towing hitch and the wiring harness that I installed(plugged in).
This weekend I hooked up my trailer and everything was working with the lights(stop and turning) when I left home.
When I got back home I noticed the lights weren't working. I checked the connector on the truck with a multimeter and found no power.
I checked the fused marked trailer(30A) under the hood and it's good. Does anyone have any ideas what else that I can check?
Thanks

·
Registered
2013 sorento lx v6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought them from etrailer.com. They had really great service and delivery. The wiring harness comes from Curt

·
Registered
40 Posts
You say that you checked the voltage on the connector on your Sorento. Do you mean the stock connector under the vehicle or the trailer end of the harness that you bought?

Are your tail lights working properly?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Check the ground.

·
Registered
2013 sorento lx v6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure were it draws it power from. I plugged the wiring harness that I bought from Curt into the stock connector under the truck.
The lights are working properly on the car. I checked the voltage at the trailer end of the wiring harness, but I will check it at the stock plug under the truck as well as the ground.
I just find it weird the it was working fine when I first plugged it in and after a short trip, it stopped working. The only thing that happened while I had the trailer connected was the it rained. Could this have shorted something out?
Thanks

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
814 Posts
I seem to remember there being issues with some of the Curt harnesses. E-trailer would or should know about these, but you may still have a bad harness.

Google around for any issues with the part number of the Curt harness.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm not sure were it draws it power from. I plugged the wiring harness that I bought from Curt into the stock connector under the truck.
The lights are working properly on the car. I checked the voltage at the trailer end of the wiring harness, but I will check it at the stock plug under the truck as well as the ground.
I just find it weird the it was working fine when I first plugged it in and after a short trip, it stopped working. The only thing that happened while I had the trailer connected was the it rained. Could this have shorted something out?
Thanks
It should be pulling power from the connectors underneath the vehicle -> to the controller -> to the trailer plug.

If this is the kit you installed:

Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring by Tow Ready for 2013 Sorento - 118541

suggest looking the video to see how the technician is testing the 4 pole trailer connector with a test light at the end of the video.. e.g.: ground clip on the exposed lug, probe in each of the (recessed) connections with lighting on..

also notice there appears to be an (inline) fuse in the harness to the controller: if the same kit, you may want to check that fuse going to the controller,

+1 to the video recommendation of using a small dab of dielectric grease in the connectors underneath the vehicle, just a light coating on each spade will help keep out moisture from the connector..

* if you find moisture in either connector, make sure you dry each connector thoroughly before reinstall, using compressed air / a fan / a hair dryer on air or low heat setting, etc..

Each connector underneath the vehicle should positive-lock ("click") when fully seated.

--
If the inline fuse is good, the connectors are seated properly, and still no joy at the trailer connector with the test light, it may be the controller has an issue.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2013 sorento lx v6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out I damaged the ground wire on the trailer side of the connection and in the rain, it must have shorted out. I fixed the wire and put in a new fuse in the wiring harness and all is good.
Thanks everyone for the advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts