Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 3 Crdi MY2010
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just had a tow bar fitted to my Ceed and when the trailer is connected there is no aubible warning that the trailer indicator light are working.

Is this legal as I thought there was supposed to be an audible warning when the trailer indicators lights are working
The normal indicator light flash on the dashboard as normal

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Hi I have just had a tow bar fitted to my Ceed and when the trailer is connected there is no aubible warning that the trailer indicator light are working.

Is this legal as I thought there was supposed to be an audible warning when the trailer indicators lights are working
The normal indicator light flash on the dashboard as normal
Hello samdog,
I fitted my pro ceed 3 with towbar and electrics and when I couple up and signal left or right I get a buz to say my trailer lights are functioning. Its a different sound to the normal one you get without a trailer when you signal a turn. I would ask who fitted your electrics to explain why there is no buz signal.
johnfranklyn

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 3 Crdi MY2010
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi johnfranklyn

Thanks for the reply

The electrics were fitted by a dealer but i have now worked out when the trailer is connected and the indicators are working the normal indicator lights on the dashboard work normal, than if a light goes out on the trailer the light on the dashboard flashes very quick

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
But that's standard procedure for broken indicators, surely trailers 'should' have an audible warning, as you expected & John has?
Still worth a call to the dealer who fitted them, that just doesn't sound right! (pardon the pun)

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 3 Crdi MY2010
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I have checked with the dealer and they say that’s how it is supposed to be, the trailer lights are connected to the car electrics via a genuine Kia wiring harness so the car computer treats the extra lights as part of the original car electrics, hence to quick flashing and the indicator warning light in the event of a bulb failure.
That is the answer from the dealer and they say this is perfectly legal

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
Hi Samdog, The dealer has got it wrong, the indicator warning light will alter in flashes if there is a bulb failure to a indicator bulb on the car, there a regulation on the amount of flashes per mimute when indicators are selected
The trailer must have a independent warning system be it a buzzer or a warning light
if the driver is deaf

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
From my research for my own tow bar, I believe the official Kia tow bar harness links to the onboard computer and detects a trailer is attached and then acts the same way as if a car bulb has failed if the trailer indicator is not working. So it is providing an indication that the trailer lights are/not working.

3rd party (and cheaoer) harness use a relay and buzzer system.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts