Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Curt trailer hitch (2" receiver) on my 2014 Sorento (V6 EX AWD). The part number is 13152 and it took about 90 mins to install primarily as I had to figure out how to remove a the spaces on either side of the rear quarter panel (expansion plugs that pull out). As I intend to use this primarily as a bike rack, I haven't yet installed the trailer wiring. I bought the hitch from amazon for $130, which is less than half of MSRP. Looks good and was relatively easy to install. I did it by crawling up under the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
41 Posts
Just ordered mine...

I just ordered the same hitch yesterday. I wish I would have seen your post about the Amazon price however. I paid $152 free shipping but $133 Prime??? Ugh! Can't beat that!

I too will be using it for a bike rack and cargo tray so I think I will be skipping the wiring harness for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just so everyone understands that Curt has two part numbers for the hitch on this vehicle.
From Curt:
The 13152 is a class III with a 2 inch receiver and has a weight capacity of 6K. The 12113 is a class II with an 1 ¼ receiver opening with a 3.5k capacity.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
41 Posts
Just completed the Curt hitch install. Took us an hour at a slow pace. I definitely suggest 2 people as it makes the installation MUCH easier. Skipping the wiring for now as I will use it mostly for a bike rack and cargo tray.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question - I just put this hitch on my 2014 Sorento. The reese hitch from my 2011 didn't fit so I ordered this one. The reese from the 2011 only had the 4 bolts that bolted into the threaded holes on the underside of the frame rail. I'm only using for a bike rack/cargo carrier, so i only installed the same 4 bolts on this hitch. Do i really need the extra 4 carraige bolts? Seems like overkill to me.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX
18 Posts
IANAL, but...

If you keep the car forever and never tow, then you're likely fine. If you ever sell the car and they down a Max Load trailer, you could open yourself up to liabilities if the bolts fail.

I thought it was overkill, too, but did all 8 bolts.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
8 Posts
Just so everyone understands that Curt has two part numbers for the hitch on this vehicle.
From Curt:
The 13152 is a class III with a 2 inch receiver and has a weight capacity of 6K. The 12113 is a class II with an 1 ¼ receiver opening with a 3.5k capacity.
Anybody have pictures of the 1 1/4 (12113) installed. If the vehicles towing capacity is only 3.5k, don't see the need for the class 3 hitch. Just for the look I guess... :confused:

·
Registered
Will Be Buying a Sorento, 2011 Honda Ridgeline RT, 2003 Mazda Tribute
8 Posts
Some accessories (bike rack, hitch extender, or platform) for a hitch only fit a 2 inch receiver. I would rather have a 2 inch receiver for the versatility even though it might be overkill for towing capacity.

I think there are adapters but an adapter could mean more rattles.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
41 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, I agree with newlungs. I use my 2" for a 4 slot bike rack and cargo tray. My previous vehicle, 2006 Jeep Liberty, had the spare on the back so I had to use adapters and extenders. Adding that extra link made me nervous since it created a lot of wiggle, especially the bike rack. Go with the 2" receiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts