Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb here! Been a long time viewer first time poster. I decided after a lot of debate that I am going to part wit my 2012 Soul + for a 2013 Kia Rio5 SX with the premium package in aurora black. I love my Soul, but I think I have outgrown it over the last year, namely the harsh ride it has I just cant tolerate it anymore. I test drove a few different cars and fell in love with the Rio the first time I got inside of it and drove it. It drives so much better and the creature comforts and quality materials the Soul lacks the Rio more than makes up for. I have a friend who works at a KIA dealer and he made me an awesome deal to get me out the door with my trade that I still owe 17k on for 23,300. I found that to be an excellent deal and now I am just waiting for him to locate one for me as they are rather hard to find. I am 6' 2" and kinda like to sprawl out when I sit in a car and most of the time my knees bang into the center of the dash, not the case with this, its roomy as all heck, however nobody would ever be able to ride in the back, but thats just an excuse to not have anyone in my car haha. Anyways if anyone could chime in about the Rio, what they like, what they dont like, if you had a soul and traded to a Rio, thoughts on the price I am paying etc. I would love to hear it all!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
409 Posts
I love my rio. It is super awesome. One thing is that I wish the telescopic steering wheel telescoped out a bit farther, as it is I have the seat closer to the front of the car that I would like based on my legs....
So hopefully you have nice long arms to keep the steering wheel reach super comfy....
Pretty much everything else rocks on this car. Love the ride!
I find the fuel mileage to be more on par with a mid-size sedan, than a sub-compact, as it is only marginally better than my mazda5 van (across similar driving over several months to smooth out any anomalies), but it isn't a huge deal, since it totally rocks!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
409 Posts
One other thing, about the ride... the SX with its stiffer springs and low profile tires, rides harsher than the other trim levels. I happen to like it that way, but something to be aware of since you mentioned you loved the ride of the one you tried (which i assume wasn't an SX since you mentioned they are hard to find).
Once i switched to my 15" winter rims the ride got a fair bit smoother (and quieter if you can believe that going to winter tires!) likely due to the increased sidewall dimension that absorbs more bumps.
If you did drive an SX, then you already know exactly what to expect.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
Good to know the details concerning the Kia Soul.
My wife originally wanted a 2012 Soul, but we noticed a used 2012 Kia RIO5 EX at the local dealer and I purchased it instead and never looked back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I actually drove an ex, I cant imagine that the suspension is that much stiffer compared to the soul on the sx. However I read over and over again about how still the suspension is both before and after I drove the Soul, and I should have listened. I feel like its just not the right chassis set up for a crossover since its basically on a car frame and alot of the rear of the car is hollow and open which only contributes to the bounce of the ride, considering my model only had the 16 inch wheels right now. I will def ride the sx and see if I feel that much of a difference, I think alot of it though is based around the tires they put on these cars, atleast with the soul they said that solved a part of the issue with ride quality.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
I'm reverse I have a 2012 4u with 18" alloys and sports suspension and don't find the ride that harsh. I think the Rio 5 is a great looking car and good luck with it. In my case I wouldn't never buy it or an Optima, or a Forte, to me they all have the same problem - too low. I no longer buy vehicles where I have to drop down into it, I like ease of entry and exit as a top priority.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi. I too tried a Soul before going for the Rio and the ride was too harsh and bumpy for me. And for many others as I realize. Conwelpic, I tried the exact model you own btw. Good for you if the Soul makes an easier entry but still the ride is harsh. I tried also the RIO SX and the ride was harsher thant he EX I finally chose. But in any case, a Rio ain't a Cruze which is revered for its smooth ride. My EX has a little softer ride than the SX but I stiil prefer the SX model and all of its trimming. I already miss the heated steering. Fore the rest, not much bad to say about the little car. No problem with it and I'm now around 8500 km. Not even a glitch in a light. Negative things I noticed though: telescoping steering extends too little, much road noise but I discovered the tires are the culprit, sound system would benefit from an amp that will yield more bass and middle. Positive: heating is damn powerful when it's cold outside, breaking is rather reassuring, rear window defogger works fast. Could need improvement in torque and FE but one can live with it. In a nutshell: lucky SX man. You'll love your Rio. Best choice on subcompact on the market now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have to disagree with the ease of getting in and out, the doors on the Soul are kind of tall and shorter and dont seem to open as wide as the Rio when I get in and out its easier for me. I always have to be careful not to hit my feet on the door panel, because thats a whole other issue with material quality and leaving marks on them. I probably will miss the height though and not having to caution as much going over speed bumps and low end driveways, but I cant imagine its that much different. One of the other big issues I have with the Soul is that the front end being blunt like it is, it takes alot of environmental wear and tear from rocks and stuff coming up off the highways, for instance the paint chipping off all over the bumper, front of the hood, and rockers, as well as the windshield. When I say chipping I dont mean like huge chunks I mean like small little dots, however add those up over a period of time and they do become noticeable.

How is the stereo on this I have heard several people make a comment about how its not the best, the Soul has a kick ass stereo, however I dont really need all that bass and stuff, as long as its decent and loud I am good with that.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I

How is the stereo on this I have heard several people make a comment about how its not the best, the Soul has a kick ass stereo, however I dont really need all that bass and stuff, as long as its decent and loud I am good with that.
Hi, as I said: it's underpowered but it's well balanced with the existing speakers. I don,t like the fact that rear speakers are located in the doors instead of the rear bay. Adding a more powerful amp means replacing the speakers so it's up to you if you want to go this way. Some work around to do though. The subject as been discussed in the forum. Do a search.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, as I said: it's underpowered but it's well balanced with the existing speakers. I don,t like the fact that rear speakers are located in the doors instead of the rear bay. Adding a more powerful amp means replacing the speakers so it's up to you if you want to go this way. Some work around to do though. The subject as been discussed in the forum. Do a search.
Hmm, good to know. I dont need something great just good will work for me. I learned my lesson about tearing into a brand new car, and I will never do it again, things never go back the way they once were and you risk breaking and damaging the plastics, just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Hmm, good to know. I dont need something great just good will work for me. I learned my lesson about tearing into a brand new car, and I will never do it again, things never go back the way they once were and you risk breaking and damaging the plastics, just my 2 pennies.
I found the Rio quite easy to work on. The door panels come off and go back on quite easily. The lower door sills for routing the wiring are easy to work with. The most difficult thing was getting the faceplate around the head unit off, but it went well too. Not much risk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I ran into a bit of a snag. My friend called me today to tell me they cant get any of the SX's around here so they would need to go to Tennessee and I would have to pay an additional $350 bucks to get it here and it will have over 500 miles on it when it does get here. I dont think thats a good idea, I want to be the first to drive my car, not have someone who I dont even know driving it that kind of distance.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
409 Posts
the sx's are very difficult to come by... many people here waited for months for theirs... but it is worth the wait :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
We do not have alot of SXs in our area, I believe I was lucky in finding the 2012 EX in the great condition it was. I am only going to tint my windows 20% and leave all the other items stock.
I even purchased the complete KIA spare tire kit rather than piecing one together from the junkyard as a another poster stated he did.

We love our RIO5 EX and drive it everywhere unless we need more room for a long trip and then we rely on the 2007 Charger with the HEMI.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heard back from my friend today and he said he can get me OTD for $23,246 with my trade, however the car will have 500 plus miles on it from the DX driver bring it back from Tennessee. I kinda went back and forth a little and his GM said he will cover the cost to bring it back and give me whatever accessories I want if I am that worried about the excess mileage. I just feel VERY leery of having someone drive my "new" car that far and put that many miles on it. Is this common practice or should I be concerned with those miles being on there? Everyone in my family is telling me BAD IDEA! Idk what to think at this point. Anyone wanna chime in?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
depends on what they can arrange, my Soul was brought in from the other side of Montreal (10 hour round trip), but the dealer has a local guy that does these kind of things for them and he has a special car trailer that he hauls the vehicle on, so when I picked it up it only had 9 km on it.
I was very nervous about someone driving it from another location, but he said he stopped that a few years ago, as that would involve more cost (had to send two people), so this way everyone is happy, but he does have extra cost in getting a vehicle from another dealership.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
depends on what they can arrange, my Soul was brought in from the other side of Montreal (10 hour round trip), but the dealer has a local guy that does these kind of things for them and he has a special car trailer that he hauls the vehicle on, so when I picked it up it only had 9 km on it.
I was very nervous about someone driving it from another location, but he said he stopped that a few years ago, as that would involve more cost (had to send two people), so this way everyone is happy, but he does have extra cost in getting a vehicle from another dealership.
Its 250 for a driver to go get the car and drive it back the 500 miles or 1000 bucks to go get it and bring it back on a flat bed, the 250 they said they would eat the cost of but not the 1000

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My local dealer does "dealer trades" all the time. Often because the dealers in Grand Rapids (150 miles away) don't have the inventory capacity my dealer does. Probably 25% of the cars on the lot have 200+ miles on them. I don't see why it's a big deal - it's not like it's going to be affected in any way. I bought my 2009 Amanti new with over 5k miles on it (dealer demo, got a SUPER deal on it), and now have 55k on it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
The car is definitely worth it, especially with all the extras they are throwing in! I would bite the bullet and do it. :) My dad drives cars from dealers back and forth for a living and they always make sure they are careful. Also, your 5 year warranty will cover anything that would/could go wrong and you will make sure to do a vehicle inspection before you take the car home.

Best of luck and enjoy your new Rio! I just got my 2013 Rio5 SX with Nav less than a month ago and am loving it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I may try to get them to eat half the cost of flat bed transport and see if they will throw in a set of mudflaps and window visors. I dont think thats too unreasonable

1 - 20 of 23 Posts