Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Originally posted by Australian@Nov 6 2004, 02:36 PM
3 year old Tribute to be replaced in January. Loved the Tribute ..... will I be happy with the Sorento
Depends on what you're looking for in a SUV. Coming from a Tribute, you'd have been used to a car-like ride, and would have mediocre off-road capability. The Sorento is based on a truck platform (body on frame) and live axle, so the ride is firm and kinda skittish on road ripples. Off road, however, the same characteristics plus its low-range gearing gives it rock-crawling abilities you couldn't expect from a Tribute/Escape, RAV4, CRV, Pilot, Highlander or Xtrail -- these are all so-called softroaders.

As a truck-based SUV, the Sorento handles very well, both on- and off-road. Build quality is excellent, which is more than I can say for my '99 Expedition. Engine power is decent, and acceleration is much better than Tribute/Escape's (Sorento's 192 bhp 3.5 liter V6 versus Tribute's 201 bhp, 3.0 liter V6, just doesn't seem to translate to a Mazda/Ford advantage).

I've had mine for almost 5 months and logged 15,000 kms on it, about 3,000 offroad on really boulder-strewn riverbanks and lahar riverbeds, and I am just amazed that this SUV was built by Kia. While the Patrol and the Pajero may be more stable (primarily because of its size), the Sorento's compact size and lower center of gravity makes it more nimble and confident during high speed maneuvers on the highway.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have a 04 Sorento LX. I have had it for 9 months now and it has 11,200 miles on it. Pretty much all of the miles are highway miles. I travel 60 miles a day. It is very comfortable and fun to drive. I think you will be happy with a Sorento. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
G?DAY Mate . Just bought my first Sorento,I will be picking it up in four days, getting a tow bar fitted with electric brakes then it off on holidays towing a caravan for two weeks up to Yamba. I had a Ford Explorer before what a mistake that was.
Catchya
John :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I certainly love my 2005 Sorento EX. I currently have 2500 miles on it. I can't say enough good things about it. Sure there were those two items that are discussed in length on this forum, but those have been resolved. What I like is the ride, finish, luxury and comfort. I have the 2wd version...are you kidding me, me take it off road and get it scratched up? :eek: I get freaked out when someone parks too close to me in the parking lot :D I rented a Ford Escape last winter while snow skiing and I found it to be a very capable vehicle. It was a nice and comfortable ride although it had a very cheap and chinsey feeling inside.
I think you'll be happy with the Sorento... I am... well, when my wife lets me drive it that is :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorento is the way to go specially if your buying the 05 the suspension and steering components have being modified to feel more like a smooth car. Also remember the warranty issue Kia wow Mazda and others wheeee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations,
I own my first Kia Sorento EX with 2800 KLM, and just love to drive it, and can't wait to take it off road. Will be taking my first long drive this weekend.

Going from Montral to Kincardine Ont. on Lake Huron.

Best of luck and enjoy your Kia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts