Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD 3.3 V6 USA
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking to get flamed but just traded in my 16 Sorento SX. Also not saying goodbye just yet! It was a good car at a great price but had certain nuances that just scared me. I owned it for about a year and a half and within the first 6 months Kia replaced the Catalytic Converter. It also shook/vibrated a little while on idle or park. The white vapor when cold seemed to take forever to stop and I could not help notice the strong exhaust smell. Also noticed the Antifreeze coolant took a big dip about 2 months ago. I truly think something was off with the car, maybe not burning gas correctly? Maybe its a GDI thing.

It had only 43K miles when I traded it. Had I purchased it new or CPO, I would have kept, it since I really did like it and the price was very affordable. But seeing that it no longer was under warranty, it kind of irked me. On the plus side, I was given more $ than I owed. I just checked the dealer I traded it to, and they are actually selling it for 2K more than my original purchase price! I did add some basic accessories like Trailer hitch, updated UVO, Weather Tech mats, etc. But wow that's crazy.

I may buy another Kia in the future, it definitely gets you the most bang for your bucks! I won't state what I bought since I'll definitely get flamed! I'll stick around and try to help with as much information as I can from my experience.

Also if anyone wants to buy OEM mats or OEM mud guards or OEM Air Filer (V6 model), hit me up. I'm located in Chicago and may just throw them on marketplace, Ebay etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
364 Posts
Congrats! I don't think anyone would flame you for mentioning what you got instead. Could be helpful to give a comparison as to why the new model fit your needs better, and that might be useful to others shopping for a SUV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I chose the typical Sorento competitor, a Highlander. It's a bit of a give and take. The highlander has 2nd-row captain seats, along with 2nd-row heated seats, and 1st row heated/ventilated seats. The trim I bought is a Platinum and my Sorento was only an SX. So I can't compare apples to apples. I know the SX-L has ventilated 1st-row seating, don't think the 4th gen Sorentos have 2nd-row captain seating. The Highlander is defnitely wider and longer. It does feel like a more solid vehicle. I will miss the auto power-folding mirrors, digital speedometer as well as proximity sensors. The main reason I went with a Highlander is that I've owned several Toyotas and also currently also own a 2004 Highlander (bought in 2007). Besides basic maintenance, it has been a rock-solid vehicle. I hope the newer gen is just as reliable. The Sorento does give the Highlander a run for the money, had I purchased it new or CPO, that 10-year warranty would have given me the mental comfort of keeping it.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
364 Posts
Highlander was on my list as well. In the end I could get the options I wanted on the 2020 Sorento vs the 2020 Highlander for about $10k less.

Very nice car though!

Reactions: Ecrivera

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
I looked at Honda and Toyota before I bought the Sorento. I got way more "bang for the buck" with the Sorento, and we've owned several Kia's in the past and had good luck with them.

I don't think you can ever find an "apples to apples" comparison between different car brands, there is always a number of options on one side and different ones on the other side that you'd like.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
237 Posts
Highlander is top notch but my legs were cramped in the driver's seat. Subaru also great vehicle, but too narrow inside as I banged elbows with my wife sitting in it in the showroom, so no need to test drive. Both have continued the same "problem" for me for many years but we keep giving them a shot before moving on. Also looked at the Volvos but was not impressed even for $15-$20K more than the Sorento. Saw reliability and reviews much improved in CR magazine so tried the Sorento and it was no contest (for the 2019 SXL). Seems like the reviews have dropped for the 2020 & 21 but will still look at the new Sorento and Telluride when we are ready for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
I briefly looked at the Volvo models, and I have a good friend that bought one the same time I was shopping for cars. I had the same reaction, a lot more money for nothing special that I could see.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No disagreement here, The Sorento does give you the most bang for the bucks. I was very happy with the price and features/options.

On a side note, I had purchased a digital service manual for it and it came in a pdf. I would like to upload it somewhere and share it with others here. Any good places to upload it to? It's about 150MB and says it covers 2016-2017 models.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
85 Posts
Hi

I chose the typical Sorento competitor, a Highlander. It's a bit of a give and take. The highlander has 2nd-row captain seats, along with 2nd-row heated seats, and 1st row heated/ventilated seats. The trim I bought is a Platinum and my Sorento was only an SX. So I can't compare apples to apples. I know the SX-L has ventilated 1st-row seating, don't think the 4th gen Sorentos have 2nd-row captain seating. The Highlander is defnitely wider and longer. It does feel like a more solid vehicle. I will miss the auto power-folding mirrors, digital speedometer as well as proximity sensors. The main reason I went with a Highlander is that I've owned several Toyotas and also currently also own a 2004 Highlander (bought in 2007). Besides basic maintenance, it has been a rock-solid vehicle. I hope the newer gen is just as reliable. The Sorento does give the Highlander a run for the money, had I purchased it new or CPO, that 10-year warranty would have given me the mental comfort of keeping it.
Can't go wrong with a Highlander; Toyotas don't break. Did you look at the Hyundai Santa Fe? It would be a logical comparison choice to the Sorento.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No disagreement here, The Sorento does give you the most bang for the bucks. I was very happy with the price and features/options.

On a side note, I had purchased a digital service manual for it and it came in a pdf. I would like to upload it somewhere and share it with others here. Any good places to upload it to? It's about 150MB and says it covers 2016-2017 models.
A Google drive folder is a good option, and set the sharing setting to "anyone with the link can view." You can share it here, or perhaps just provide that link to anyone who needs it.

Thanks for posting it , btw!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts
I applaud your Highlander choice, it was the only other contender when we were shopping and it was my wife who made the choice. I would not buy a Sorento used, I would buy a Highlander used. I'm only comfortable with Kia because of the whole warranty thing as we keep cars a long time especially since we both retired. There are far too many people who come on here and talk about their problems with their used Sorento's - don't know if they were former rentals, coming off lease where the maintenance was less than stellar or just beat to death. I've spent 18 years in the same 4Runner and still have never had a major problem and it is still going strong but even Toyota makes mistakes - my whole generation of 4Runners is losing their entire frame to rust (but not in Arizona), the 2003-2005 V6 engines are eating head gaskets, the actuator solenoid in the transfer case stops working and is a $2,000 repair and the master cylinder alone is $2,500 because it combines the ABS unit into the overall unit. So, nobody's perfect but Toyota comes closest.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
237 Posts
I've spent 18 years in the same 4Runner and still have never had a major problem and it is still going strong
We hold cars around 10-12 years too but then buy the highest trim of a newer car to get all the most updated safety devices to carry us until the next purchase. Aren't you afraid of all the newest safety devices you are missing on your 18 year old 4Runner?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
Sometimes I miss my 2005 4-runner v8 limited (had it 13+ years), made many 1,000 mi trips in it. Especially the low end V8 grunt and power back window, huge cargo capacity, strong towing, and all windows open with long key fob press, and ability to have as many key fobs as you want (cheap too).
Definitely I took way too little for the trade-in value, these things are in great demand.

I did my own brake jobs, even replaced both front bearing/hubs. They suffer from 100K mi timing belt change and an air injector pump issue (dual GM small junk blowers) - under the intake manifold along with some solenoid valves. $3,000+ to fix. Those are on super extended warranty on the Tundra and GX Lexus V8's but not the 4R. The blades disintegrate slowly and disable the solenoid valves and give the killer check engine light.

I really like the smooth 8-speed trans, android auto, power ventilated seats, quiet ride, simple HVAC buttons and knobs, and other controls of the Sorento.

Some of the cars I shopped had inscrutable human interface / touch screen nonsense. Ruled out the Toyotas for that.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
85 Posts
There are far too many people who come on here and talk about their problems with their used Sorento's - don't know if they were former rentals, coming off lease where the maintenance was less than stellar or just beat to death.
Allow me to say that my '17 Sorento SX with 56K miles has had exactly one "major" issue in four years - the right front shock was replaced at...56K miles.

Evaluating the reliability of Kias based on numbers of people who come on here to complain is a really bad way to look at things objectively. Most people come on forums like this with a problem, or to complain. No problems or complaints? Those people simply don't post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts