Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I found similar posts but can't comment on them. I have a kia sorento 2011. About a month ago, the downhill assist and traction control lights came on and shortly after, when at a stop light, I accelerated and then lost acceleration for a short time. The car also started making a strange vibration noise when in reverse and first starting and engine light came on. We took to carmax (where we got the car and have warranty). The engine light was the intake manifold but didn't throw codes for the ABS. We figured maybe the acceleration problems were from intake manifold. The lights came on again and the acceleration issue happened again but no engine light and some vibration was still happening. The tensioning pulley was replaced but carmax never addressed the ABS lights. On Wednesday, the lights came on so we took to our local mechanic. Once we turned the car off, the lights went away. At a stop light, I pressed the gas and it went then in middle of intersection, there was no power to the gas petal and then it finally kicked back in. Mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, no codes. Took it to kia today. They can't get it to replicate (of course), no codes on computer and they were kind of like oh well. I told them I will not come pick the car up until they figure it out bc it's dangerous to drive and I'm terrified of driving it like this. Reading some forums here, the lights and no code sound like the ABS sensor but I can't find where anyone has had the acceleration issues combined w the lights. Any advice? When I asked the service dept if they could check the sensors they said "well thats an option but not sure if it's advised". I plan to go up the chain if I get no answers tomorrow morning. Thanks for any advice or shared experiences!
to edit: the "ABS" light on the dash didn't come on, but the other 2 did

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kia called today. They can't get it to replicate and say there is no way to check the sensors without a code being thrown. I'm at my whits end and just want to give the car away at this point. Escalated to GM and he seems to think nothing is wrong w the car and will more than likely have to get it and pay the diagnostic fee without any answers.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
269 Posts
Kia called today. They can't get it to replicate and say there is no way to check the sensors without a code being thrown. I'm at my whits end and just want to give the car away at this point. Escalated to GM and he seems to think nothing is wrong w the car and will more than likely have to get it and pay the diagnostic fee without any answers.
Your and light is causing the acceleration issue. When the computer senses an issue, it cuts fuel (kills power). If you must drive it, you can turn off traction control. Usually you can hold the button down and turn off both traction control and stability control.

That will let you drive to "safely" (without assist).

Now to resolve the issue. Dose your cruise control work? If so,then it probably isn't breaks rubbing. I did a bunch of work to my car recently and when I put it all back together, it was so out of line, I had to turn on traction control just to able to drive it for an alignment.

The issue your having is the ECU is detecting an error in the wheel speed sensor. If the sensor was bad, it will usually throw a code. Most likely something is physically causing one wheel to turn slower then the rest. I would start with removing all four wheel speed sensors (very easy to do) and check for obstructions (they are magnets, usually get metal stick to them). If the sensor is clean, I would inspect all four calipers for function. If all that checks out, get an alignment.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response! Im mostly stumped bc the history isn't even showing the lights have ever come on (but showed the recent tire pressure light). We just got new tires and an alignment less than a year ago. Dealership is saying there is no way to check sensors, but reading on these forums and youtube videos, there is a way. I will note the things you mentioned and if kia is throwing their hands up at the situation still on Monday, I will be calling our local mechanic again to check these things.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for your response! Im mostly stumped bc the history isn't even showing the lights have ever come on (but showed the recent tire pressure light). We just got new tires and an alignment less than a year ago. Dealership is saying there is no way to check sensors, but reading on these forums and youtube videos, there is a way. I will note the things you mentioned and if kia is throwing their hands up at the situation still on Monday, I will be calling our local mechanic again to check these things.
With an advanced scan tool you should be able to see the graph the sensors report. That is how you check them. A visual inspection wouldn't hurt either

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With an advanced scan tool you should be able to see the graph the sensors report. That is how you check them. A visual inspection wouldn't hurt either
I imagine the kia dealership has that scanner? They are saying that nothing is coming up -- our local mechanics system didn't find anything either. Kia requested invoices of anything that has ever been done to the vehicle (which has been a lot). I have the GM involved and will be calling corporate tomorrow. I will also request them to actually look at the wheel assembly bc all they have done is scan and test drive. I don't have any confidence in them and feel like I'll be paying the diagnostic fee without any answers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I imagine the kia dealership has that scanner? They are saying that nothing is coming up -- our local mechanics system didn't find anything either. Kia requested invoices of anything that has ever been done to the vehicle (which has been a lot). I have the GM involved and will be calling corporate tomorrow. I will also request them to actually look at the wheel assembly bc all they have done is scan and test drive. I don't have any confidence in them and feel like I'll be paying the diagnostic fee without any answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts