Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
USA 2015 Kia Sorento LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I had installed some aftermarket tires and rims on my 2015 Kia Sorento LX, and I had them for a while like 3 weeks, brand new, no problems. Then just the other day the tire sensor light came on, I took it back to where I got my rims and tires from, they checked it with heir machine and whatnot, and it came out good and they showed me, so they told me to drive around and there light should go off, well I did for 2 days, and nothing, so I came back. Now they put the originals sensors from my stock rims to the aftermarket ones and programmed them and the light is still on, mind you that also the ABS light is also on because of this. So they told me to take it to kia and tell them that I put aftermarket rims and tires and the computer wasn't reading it, and do to also tell them that they put the original stock sensors on the rims to see of that would work and its still not reading, so they told me to take it to them so they can reset it or something like that? Would that cost me? Need your guys opinion and help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
569 Posts
weLL..just a comment here...my 2015 LX does not have TMPS (so glad...) so I'm wondering if that was an extra option on yours,or it depends on market ...or you have an extra optional package that comes with TMPS....or....or...I have TMPS and never noticed :rolleyes: oh no...my snow tires are on steel rims without sensors.... .....is your engine a 2.4?

·
Registered
USA 2015 Kia Sorento LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weLL..just a comment here...my 2015 LX does not have TMPS (so glad...) so I'm wondering if that was an extra option on yours,or it depends on market ...or you have an extra optional package that comes with TMPS....or....or...I have TMPS and never noticed :rolleyes: oh no...my snow tires are on steel rims without sensors.... .....is your engine a 2.4?
Mine just have the exclamation mark with the wigly lines, doesn't tell me which tire and whatnot, every car has that I believe and I don't know if mine is 2.4, I know is a 2wd

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
903 Posts
You need to very your tires are all right up to the specified pressure labeled on your build label (drivers door frame) Note: All 5 Tires!

I don't like the TPMS option either. Rather not have it and my Sorento doesn't. My Highlander does. Winter wheels on and I have the light on all winter to look at.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
715 Posts
Personally, I like the TPMS. I can see if a tire is going low long before I'd notice anything externally, and I do it from the comfort of the driver's seat.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
903 Posts
It can be and would be better if each wheel was indicated and not one general error. I am sure I'd seen independent indication when that tech first came out. Most people don't know the spare tire has a sensor as well and eventually goes low over time, rusting as well over time if a steel wheel.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It can be and would be better if each wheel was indicated and not one general error. I am sure I'd seen independent indication when that tech first came out. Most people don't know the spare tire has a sensor as well and eventually goes low over time, rusting as well over time if a steel wheel.
My 2020 Sorento shows each wheel and the pressure individually.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As does my 2020 Sportage, nothing for the spare though..

·
Registered
715 Posts
I don't think the temp spare has a TPS sensor.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
903 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm still at a loss how the spare gets calibrated into the system without extra work. It's a moot point for me as I have the temp spare, I think all the 2020 Sorento models in the US are similarly equipped.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
903 Posts
A tire shop may be able to shed light on it. I have TPMS in my Highlander and its spare was low a year ago triggering the system alert. Once everything was eliminated with the other wheels. I dropped it (valve is always up), check it and yep was low. Pumped it to the max 35psi of the real tire on aluminum rim and the alert went away. It had the typical valve stem so I knew it had a sensor.

Upon putting it back I flipped the wheel so the tire valve is down facing should I need to check inflate it another year.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
506 Posts
I'm still at a loss how the spare gets calibrated into the system without extra work.
By using a TPMS Relearning Programming tool, not an everyday DIY tool. You locate the correct sensor ID that is on the effected wheel(s) , then enter the pressure required for that wheel(s) ID number. Some better TPM systems have capability for adding additional wheel ID's that would allow programming different sets of sensors/wheels for a vehicle, Kia does not offer this option.

As far as a sensor in the " Little Spare" not sure how to find out. Could let out the air and look for dash light, but most sensors have to be spinning to go into transmitting mode. Any tire shop can put the TPMS tool next to the valve and see if it will transmit an ID to the tool. Documentation stinks, I have no idea if my Little Spare has TPMS, don't really have an interest as I verify the 60 lbs every now and then when lowering and testing the linkage is OK. .

·
Registered
715 Posts
but most sensors have to be spinning to go into transmitting mode.
This is why I question the spare being sensed. I've never seen the TPS on any car work while the car is stationary, it's not until you are driving that the sensing happens. So, how could a spare being stationary in it's cavity be sensed? I know the TPS on my 2020 Sorento even tells you to start driving to see the TPS status display.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
506 Posts
To clarify, a TPS (Sensor) has different modes to save battery power. At rest it can be sensed by tools and the TPSM module. It will wake it up to communicate and allow programming correct pressure. However it is NOT in Transmitting mode. When the sensor starts spinning it will shift into Transmitting mode and send periodic status update (once a min) to the Module. If this communication breaks off a TPMS error is recorded, DTC code is generated and dash indicator blinks or something like that. If tire pressure varies x% off of the setting at transmit time that condition will indicate a pressure warning on the dash, no DTC.

We are getting way to deep..and drifting away from the OP's new sensors not being recognized by the module. To me sounds like the TPS Module could not learn the ID's of the new sensors, maybe they were the wrong frequency or incapable. OR maybe the old sensors were still in the vehicle and confused the TPMS system. (see trivia info, confidence reduction at bottom). Assuming OP drove over 15 MPH for 10 mins ignition cycle.

My fix would be.. Try a complete power off of TPMS (fuse) and then a +10 min drive cycle and see what happens. If not fixed then a TPMS tool to read the ID's for each tire, then the Kia GDS tool to write the 4 ID's into the TPSM module. Why the TPS module did not learn the new sensors, as it should have if frequency was correct. And then why it did not learn the original sensor ID's when they were put back in automatically is an unknown. The Sorento TPMS system has the ability to verify the current sensors ID's, or learn the new sensor ID's at each ignition cycle.

Some trivia info
General Function at all startups verifying current sensors
• Auto learn takes place only once per Ignition cycle.
• On successful completion.
• Until Auto-learn completes, previously learned sensors (together with their respective locations) are monitored for under inflation / leak
warnings.
• Spare tire inflation / DTC state is not displayed

General Conditions to Learn New Sensors:
• Auto learning only functions when speed is more than 25 kph (approx. 15 mph).
• Receiver must determine that it is confident that sensor is not temporary:
a. Uses vehicle speed.
b. Uses confidence reduction of previously learned sensors.
• Typical time at driving over 25 kph to learn a new sensor is up to 10 minutes

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks for that, explains a lot about the TPS system. :)

What I've never understood about the TPS sensors is why they're not self-powered. It would seem they had a golden opportunity to self power them from the rotation of the tires and eliminate any issues with battery life.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
506 Posts
I'm thinking piezoelectric plate plus a power storage device (capacitor), but would run out of power without motion for an extended period. So TPMS would be technically off line till wheels started spinning. A rechargeable battery in lieu of capacitor would also wear out after X recharges, so you'd be in the same situation. This post is literally now 100% off topic... May have to move it to the ' Tin Foil Hat' section...

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
903 Posts
The existing system works and I see vehicle more than 10 years old without problems which have it. Some oem/models have trouble with tire shop units working when installed but thats likely a parts or spec issue with them.

I'll be looking for new winter tires for my New to Me 2019 Sorento and hopefully be trouble free. I am sure the ECU is designed to support at least two sets of wheels.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Both the 2013 Kia Soul that my daughter has and the 2013 Nissan Rogue that my wife drives have reached the end of the useful life of the TPS sensors, they're both intermittently triggering errors when there's no issue with the tire pressures. Neither of those has individual display of pressure, so I don't know which sensor is dying, but if one is dying, the others can't be far behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts