Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage 4 cyl. 2.4l FI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question about the Tire monitor system. So my 2012 just shows the flat tire symbol when the tire is low. I know some vehicles can show the pressure of each tire. So are all the TPMS sensors the same and it is dependent on the cars ability to show actual pressure or are the sensors for the ones that show each tire reading different. I ask because I want a system that says each tire and upon researching have seen ones that you screw something onto the plug part in order to show levels. So I was thinking if the sensors are all the same there must be something out there that will read the pressure. And I would be willing to buy that display if available. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
475 Posts
I haven't tried it myself in the Sportage but many cars you can use a bluetooth OBDII transmitter and view individual tire pressure sensor data with the torque app on your phone.
I with the Sportage (and every other car as well) had a display that showed all 4 separate pressures, I wouldn't even care if it told which tire is which, I just want to know all 4 pressures so when the light comes on I could see that it's because 1 tire is just a couple PSI low and not because a tire completely blew out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know my 2017 sedona has no TPMS but will warn of a low pressure thanks to wheel speed sensors, so no actual PSI reading

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
475 Posts
I know my 2017 sedona has no TPMS but will warn of a low pressure thanks to wheel speed sensors, so no actual PSI reading
The Sportage definitely has a TPMS so the system knows the actual pressures. I'm actually surprised the Sedona still uses wheel speed sensors, I thought there was some sort of requirement for TPMS now but maybe that varies by region.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know this isn't the Hyundai forum but they are the same company these days so here goes. My 2017 hyundai Tucson shows each individual tyre pressure and displays the symbol if one is low. My wife's 2018 Hyundai i20 GO only shows the symbol so we have no idea which tyre is down. IMO all cars, if they have TPMS fitted, should show all the relevant information. It's supposed to be a safety feature and only showing a symbol defeats the object.

·
Registered
71 Posts
like my corolla, the tpms light is on, I aired all 4 tires, but it doesnt tell me if it may be the spare or which one of the 4 tires... not that useful! I know there is a light, but it aint self-explanatory. Even my dad's american truck will show it in details... I bet toyota knows how to show it but didnt because else what will they include as new features, in 2030, so people buy the 14th version of the car?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2014 1955cc Diesel
2 Posts
Hi everyone, wonder if you can help. We purchased a 2014 Kia back in December and as soon as i drove out the yard the TPMS light started flashing and stayed on since. I heard these can be a problem and just ignored it. We got a puncture last week and the garage called to say the TPMS sensor in the wheel had snapped off but also that someone had glued it several times. Being that the spare had a brand new tyre on, we just used that and put a replacement tyre on what was the rear NS wheel.
I have just found out that it's actually an MOT failure so need to get it resolved.
My questioon is, do all 5 wheels have to have a sensor? Assuming it does that's why the TMPS light is still on. Also, can i use any sensor or have to purchase an original KIA one? The dealer we purchased it from say that they don't mind paying for a sensor but how can i check if it's just one?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Stuart

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2014 1955cc Diesel
2 Posts
Has anyone else tried using after market or different brand of TPM sensor for your wheels?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts