Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento LX+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2021 Sorento Lx and since I changed my winter tires with only cheap steel rims on, the warning light kept showing and I am wonder if there is any way to turn it off manually? Or the only way for me to turn it off is adding the tpms device on and if that's the case, how much would it cost for that? I asked a local dealer and they said around $200 but wondering it we can buy the parts online and DIY at home or not? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,073 Posts
No way to turn if off without TPS senders in all the wheels. I've never priced the senders, but then I don't fancy taking the tire off the rim to install them anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can find tons sensors on Amazon, make sure you get the right frequency ... Usually runs around 100$ for 4 if you are lucky. About taking tires off, I've never worked tires on a rim, but I would venture it is possible to install the valves by just deflating the tires and popping the bead inwards, slip the valve in and reinflate...

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento LX+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No way to turn if off without TPS senders in all the wheels. I've never priced the senders, but then I don't fancy taking the tire off the rim to install them anyway.
Thanks for your advice,I didn't take the tires off rims when I changed for my winter tires set because those tires are already on rims but since those are just cheap steel rims so there are no sensors.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento LX+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can find tons sensors on Amazon, make sure you get the right frequency ... Usually runs around 100$ for 4 if you are lucky. About taking tires off, I've never worked tires on a rim, but I would venture it is possible to install the valves by just deflating the tires and popping the bead inwards, slip the valve in and reinflate...
Thank you for the information,so I think it is pretty fair with the price Kia dealer inform me earlier then.Because they told me it would cost like $180 in total for everything which I guess in this case they have to install the sensors then use the device to pair/activate it with the car's TPMS system.Please correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding in this case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually I didn't take something into consideration with my "trick" ... TPMS weigh more than regular valve stems, do you would need to get your tires balanced too... So 180 from the dealer, installed is a good deal

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento LX+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I didn't take something into consideration with my "trick" ... TPMS weigh more than regular valve stems, do you would need to get your tires balanced too... So 180 from the dealer, installed is a good deal
But still I think that is a good trick,thanks again for sharing.I have a friend who is studying in motive power program in college said that he can install the one bought online for me. But then he needs to use the device to set up the whole thing and yes balance like you said which actually will cost more than the fact that I bring my car to the dealer because he doesn't have the device.LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you have the proper valves, no reprogramming necessary. Just drive with the car , and after a while above a certain speed they will automatically pair with the car

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento LX+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you have the proper valves, no reprogramming necessary. Just drive with the car , and after a while above a certain speed they will automatically pair with the car
Sounds good, the reason why I was asking this topic is because I was a little bit hesitate on whether should I pay to put the sensors on or not and being honest to say when I talked with the Kia dealer guy, they said that is recommended but not the " have to" thing for your car. I also checked with other outside mechanic guys and they said usually not a lot of people put sensors for their winter set because it is kind of unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I also checked with other outside mechanic guys and they said usually not a lot of people put sensors for their winter set because it is kind of unnecessary.
Well, it's "not necessary" to have TPMS at all, but it's pretty useful, especially for newer cars that actually show you the tire pressure. This can alert you to an issue long before you would see it otherwise. I love the fact that I can check the actual pressure, and more importantly see any differences such as one tire starting to get lower than the others. Truthfully, this is one of the things that I believe is a useful safety addition.

My major complaint with the TPMS sensors is the battery. Since you have a spinning tire it seems to me that it would be possible to make them self-sufficient. Apparently, I'm not the only engineer that thinks it's a good idea!

The use of battery-free RFID pressure sensors could free the current TPMS solutions from their dependency of batteries while providing the same information.

Fourteen years ago, TI announced a solution, one has to wonder why it's never been used!

NO BATTERIES NEEDED FOR NEW TPMS SENSOR

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento LX+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's "not necessary" to have TPMS at all, but it's pretty useful, especially for newer cars that actually show you the tire pressure. This can alert you to an issue long before you would see it otherwise. I love the fact that I can check the actual pressure, and more importantly see any differences such as one tire starting to get lower than the others. Truthfully, this is one of the things that I believe is a useful safety addition.

My major complaint with the TPMS sensors is the battery. Since you have a spinning tire it seems to me that it would be possible to make them self-sufficient. Apparently, I'm not the only engineer that thinks it's a good idea!

The use of battery-free RFID pressure sensors could free the current TPMS solutions from their dependency of batteries while providing the same information.

Fourteen years ago, TI announced a solution, one has to wonder why it's never been used!

NO BATTERIES NEEDED FOR NEW TPMS SENSOR
Yes you are right, I will consider this one carefully since I will drive less in the winter compare to the summer for sure but it is definitely safer to keep track of your tires especially when you on a highway/freeway.Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX
17 Posts
I just got a new set of winter wheels/tires installed, with new tpms sensors, installed at Costco. I've driven it probably 50 miles since then, and the pressures are still not reading, it says "Drive to display." There aren't any warning lights, though.

Any advice for how to get the pressures to read?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I wonder if all the aftermarket sensors actually transmit the pressure values? Maybe they are just sending the "everything's great" message.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got a new set of winter wheels/tires installed, with new tpms sensors, installed at Costco. I've driven it probably 50 miles since then, and the pressures are still not reading, it says "Drive to display." There aren't any warning lights, though.

Any advice for how to get the pressures to read?
There are a few possibilities as to why they are not working. First and most probable to me, is they put the wrong type of valve in. There are two different frequencies on which TPMS valves could work - 315mhz and and 434mhz. If they installed a valve that works on the wrong frequency (ours works on 434mhz), that would be the issue. Second issue could be defective, or off-brand valves (I like to stick to genuine dealer parts, or big brands like Autel - but some do actually require programming, like the Autels).
Third option, although less likely, is you did not drive either long enough per drive, or attain the necessary speed... If memory serves me well, you have to drive above 40mph for a certain distance for them to register.

Other than that, I couldn't help you any further.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts