Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my Sorento, the TPMS reads 3.5 psi lower on all tires than my gauges. I have checked with several gauges including a digital one (I bought the same one that they use at the Kia dealer). My digital gauge also reads the same as the mechanical gauge at the very experienced tire shop that takes care of my tires.

I was at the Kia dealer a few days ago, and the service manager said my Kia TPMS is accurate, and all the gauges are wrong. I had the same conversation with the previous service manager a year ago and he told me the same thing. I pointed out on both occasions that it seemed ridiculous that every gauge in the world would be wrong, but my TPMS is accurate. The service manager even said I should use the TPMS reading when I fill up my tires, which again I think is ridiculous. He said there is nothing he could do to fix it anyway, but I think it is very odd as I don't see anyone else having this issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
205 Posts
Are you comparing warm tire measurements?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
656 Posts
My tpms pegs directly to my digital gauge. Do remember, that if you take tire pressure with a gauge on a cold tire and then click over to the tpms readouts after you've been driving for a while, there is going to be several psi difference. To be the most accurate, take a tpms reading and a guage reading immediately after the completion of a trip and then compare the numbers.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I park my Sorento in the garage, and this morning I checked a tire with my known accurate digital gauge. I then started driving, watching the TPMS until it showed numbers, which took about a minute. The TPMS read 3 lbs lower as expected.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
656 Posts
If it's consistent, just adjust your thinking accordingly. I don't think there are any federal mandated standards for tpms accuracy. Assume it's off on all four corners so it's likely a software problem that could ultimately be fixed but Kia isn't about to write code for a minor problem with no one reporting it. Almost any readout we get could be adjusted by adding some differential code to the various algorithms but they just don't build that into the access that dealerships have because they would probably end up doing more harm than good in the long run.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX AWD
106 Posts
I have a hand held Autel TPMS tool. Checked my tires with it and then 2 analog and 1 digital gauge. Both analogs read 1 lb less and the digital .5 less. Drove the car and it matched my hand held. My Autel self calibrates every time I turn it on. My gauges have never been calibrated.

For a street car that is close enough for me. For a race car not so much. 3 lbs isn't critical, but annoying.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento 3.3 AWD
53 Posts
I own three different tire gauges which provide three different readings, and two different vehicles with TPMS that each do their own thing.

Life's too short for stuff like this. Just use common sense when filling the tires, and use the TPMS to spot individual leaks only.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
199 Posts
I own three different tire gauges which provide three different readings, and two different vehicles with TPMS that each do their own thing.

Life's too short for stuff like this. Just use common sense when filling the tires, and use the TPMS to spot individual leaks only.
In the winter I set my tire pressure 2 lbs over the recommended so when it gets colder and they lose 1 lb for each 10 degrees I won't have to add more air immediately (had many back surgeries, not that easy to do). After adding air, I check the TPMS screen to see what Kia shows and follow that. I only worry if one of the tires shows a big difference from the others. As long as I am riding with all the tires the same (recommended) the ride should be smooth.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
It's been said already, life is to short to be worried about a pound or 3.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Stumann and wlobo
1 - 9 of 9 Posts