Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that if the TPMS light on a 2007 Kia Optima was on for a certain amount of time/miles that the system would prevent the engine from running. Anybody heard of such a thing??? Mine has been on for about a year (after replacing tires).

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
:confused::puzzled:
I do not think these are related....

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I was told that if the TPMS light on a 2007 Kia Optima was on for a certain amount of time/miles that the system would prevent the engine from running. Anybody heard of such a thing??? Mine has been on for about a year (after replacing tires).
I don't think it should. Also even replacing tires the light shouldn't be on, unless they removed the sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it should. Also even replacing tires the light shouldn't be on, unless they removed the sensors.
TIME OUT! I just discovered an important issue concerning the "new tires." I read that changing WHEELS could be a problem with the TPMS. New "after market" alloy wheels came with the new tires. I think wheels have to be designed for the sensors (?).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't really understand how changing your wheels would result in a tpms sensor not working. It just sends Rf signals to the modules on the body......

·
Registered
479 Posts
TIME OUT! I just discovered an important issue concerning the "new tires." I read that changing WHEELS could be a problem with the TPMS. New "after market" alloy wheels came with the new tires. I think wheels have to be designed for the sensors (?).
Yes, rims have to be sensor compatible. So the question would be did the tire shop swap your existing TPMS sensors to the new rims when you bought new tires and rims? Another possibility could be they installed new sensors, but either forgot or did not have the right equipment to register the sensors with the car's TPMS system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts