Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching about TPMS.

The method Kia decided to use is RF transmitting devices powered by battery. As these batteries discharge, all warning lights on TPMS will lit up like a Christmas tree. Replacing battery is not possible and only option is to have the dealer take out all 4 tires and reinstall TPMS (anyone has price for these sensors?) sensors, and reprogram the TPMS monitor. Looks like this is going to be a routine procedure for replacing tires. You would not want to put in labor hours to tear out all 4 tires and not replace TPMS sensors... that would be stupid - because The TPMS battery goes out after installing new tires, you would have to tear out all 4 tires again. (And pay again for the labor)

And I thought, what if I just ignore the warning lights and keep driving without it? Not like these things are required for driving... As far as NHTSA/ government sees TPMS as a safety devices. It would be like driving with air bag melfunction light on. When you do get into accident, the insurance company would have something to say about it before writing you that claims check. And when you do cause an accident, TPMS can be used against you.

What are your thoughts???

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
1,252 Posts
the sensors are $90-$100 a piece. this includes the sensor and the nut (you can't reuse the old nut). i don't see why you think it's a ticking time bomb. if you don't like the air bags and TPMS, get a "boat" from the 70's with a gas hog v8 in it and drive that around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sensors are $90-$100 a piece. this includes the sensor and the nut (you can't reuse the old nut). i don't see why you think it's a ticking time bomb. if you don't like the air bags and TPMS, get a "boat" from the 70's with a gas hog v8 in it and drive that around.
Yes, I do drive 70's gas hog. But not V8s. I am a experienced mechanic specialized in classic BMWs. I would choose to drive any of these reliable BMWs than most of the brand new cars in the market.
(and I still drive one that has over 200 miles on it, still running better than brand new Mercedes) I drive minivan for moving the whole family.

Suppose you want to change your tires - only place you can do is at Kia dealer. Your typical $80 labor is now going to cost you lot more.

Because it would not make sense to tear the tire out, and not replace those battery operated TPMS, you would have to add $90 - $100 each tire.

There you have it. It will add about $500 more for your typical tire replacement job. Even if you are riding on perfect condition tires, with only 30000 miles on it, if the battery goes out, then your are out of luck.

The additional cost will make dealers happy, but is cold cash out of customers pocket. This is the most useless technology you can pay money for. If you cannot maintain tire pressures, you should not be driving.

Loosing enough air leak on tire, would cause the steering wheel would shake like operating a jack hammer. And continue to drive the car in this condition, than the State should take his driving license away.

Is as stupid as those BMW auto sensing wipers. If you cannot operate these wipers without depending on the technology doing it for you, then you whould not be driving the car. (reason why I don't drive the new BMWs)

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
1,252 Posts
you don't have to take your car to a dealer to have new tires put on. just make sure the tire shop knows what they're doing when it comes to avoiding the TPMS sensors when breaking the bead. if not, then it looks like they're paying for new sensors and the labor to put them in. as for reprogramming the sensors when you put the wheels back on, the sedonas and sorentos as well as the borrego have a smart TPMS system where they can sense when one wheel has been relocated to another location on the vehicle so they reprogram themselves if the sensor ID numbers are still in the system.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona, 2001 Taurus
77 Posts
The tire stores I frequent is a large chain in the Pacific North West US, Les Schwab. They have a sign in the lobby warning customers that there is decent chance that changing tires may cause damage to the TPMS sensors or cause them to malfunction. I believe there is a standard waiver agreement on their form alerting you they won't accept responsibility either. I would assume since Schwab does it, most other places will too.
It does kind of bother me there is a sensor that will cost me $200 to replace inside each of my tires just to make sure I keep air in them. I would rather go without it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
f you don't want it then have the dealer turn the system off.
I guess you are not reading into my original text. You are REQUIRED to have this, and is considered as safety requirement. The only exception is when you would upgrade to a customized bigger wheels.

And you better think twice about turning this system off from dealer. They will turn this thing off, and you get into accident. Your insurance company is going to ask a question - "Did the low inflated tire caused this accident?" Well, by the time the insurance company get to your car for inspection, the answer is usually going to be "YES".

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona LX, 2002 VW GTI 337
9 Posts
Interesting. My wife's 2006 Sedona has had the TPMS warning lights on all winter. As soon as the temperature dropped outside (i.e. in the 30's or lower), they all lit up even though all tires have the proper pressure. I think right now, one of the lights have gone out, but there are still three lit up. Kind of annoying, and I've been debating on taking to the dealer to have it checked out (still under warranty).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not in my area. You would be lucky if these things would last more than 4 years. All depends on how many cold winter days you are going to have.
Well I'm in Canada & have worked with these systems for years. They have been used by many brands including Mercedes Benz & they average 6-8 years up hear. Not going to get much colder than up here unless you live in Alaska.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts