Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota's IMV program makes use of a universal platform for several vehicles, including the Toyota Innova (an MPV/Van), the Hilux-Vigo (pickup) and the Fortuner (an SUV). These vehicles will be sold in Asia, Middle East, South Africa, Europe, but not in the US (it seems that way -- the IMV concept calls for cost-efficient (read: cheap) production with globally-standard quality (read: developing world standards).

Here's the clincher though. The Fortuner is a mirror-image of the Sorento, judging by available photos. It will have a 2.7 VVTi gas engine or a 3.0 Crdi diesel, fulltime 4WD, body on frame, coil on all 4 corners, similar dimensions and SITS 7 PASSENGERS.

All is fair in love and market share. Kia was "heavily inspired" by the Lexus RX300 in its design of the Sorento; I guess Toyota's just returning the compliment.

I expect the trim and quality build will not be at the level of the Sorento because of the IMV principle, which is to keep cost/quality at a certain level (I've seen the Innova and it's fit-and-finish is what Americans would call "cheap."

That said, it is a Toyota, though. A good number will make decisions based on the brand than on the actual quality and performance of the vehicle. I wonder what Kia is doing to preempt this Toyota move in countries where it will be available. Not that I'm underestimating the Sorento, mind. I'm one happy owner with ZERO complaints in my 20,000km run.

Check out the Fortuner photos on this site and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=985

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
It will only be a Sorento-killer if Toyota undercuts Kia's price......I wouldn't hold my breath.....oh, and by the way did we talk about the warranty comparisons and while we're at it, the smug "take it or leave it" attitude of many Toyota dealerships ???? I wouldn't kill off the Sorento just yet !!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts