Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Rio 2012
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new 2012 Rio a week ago (in Australia), and the two keys smell really foul. As the key is dangling close to my face while driving, I'm getting almost nauseous and my eyes are watering. It's a chemical smell, and I'm worried that it is emanating from something carcinogenic in the plastic casing. When I put the key in my handbag, the whole bag takes on the smell.

Does anyone else have this issue? I phoned the dealership, who say that all the keys would be the same and that they haven't noticed anything. I also phoned Kia's Australian head office, who said I'm the first person to mention this.

It's really spoiling the whole experience of our long awaited new car purchase :-(

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Those key-thingies are usually made by contractors and you may have a bad batch. The smell might go away if you leave them to air in a well-ventilated room (out of sight of bad people, of course!) KIA cars are not usually noted for an intense "new car" smell.

One final left-field idea:
Are you taking any form of medication? Some pharmaceuticals can alter your sense of smell. Do other people notice the smell?

http://www.askdocweb.com/badsmell.html

Note also that a bad smell does not necessarily mean toxicity.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
We got our new 2012 Rio a week ago (in Australia), and the two keys smell really foul. As the key is dangling close to my face while driving, I'm getting almost nauseous and my eyes are watering. It's a chemical smell, and I'm worried that it is emanating from something carcinogenic in the plastic casing. When I put the key in my handbag, the whole bag takes on the smell.

Does anyone else have this issue? I phoned the dealership, who say that all the keys would be the same and that they haven't noticed anything. I also phoned Kia's Australian head office, who said I'm the first person to mention this.

It's really spoiling the whole experience of our long awaited new car purchase :-(
trying to figure out how this is possible. :confused:

You must be very sensitive to smells. Leave the windows open on the car all the time for a while and also don't put the keys in the handbag at least for some time. It's not something I've ever encountered but then everyone reacts different, I know why wife can detect the slightest bit of mold, I can't even notice it, but then I smell other things she doesn't.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Did you by any chance receive a dealership/Kia keychain, leather like tag, or something along those lines? I have found the cheap ones, faux leather, stink really bad. If this is the case, just take the keys off the key ring and let them air out.

·
Registered
Rio 2012
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your replies.

I'm not on medication or particularly sensitive to smells. It's not just me that can smell it. Everyone in our family can. It's both keys, nothing to do with the dealership's metal keyring that they gave us.

WryCuda, thanks for your suggestions. I'm hoping the smell will go away, so far, after 10 days, it is as strong as ever. It could be a bad batch, and I'm dissappointed that the dealership is not interested to investigate. I might have to drive there and ask them to smell it, but I'm not holding my breath that they will show any interest.

To Daddy-O, that was my thought too, that the battery might be leaking, but the horrible smell is in both keys.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
@ MsB
What model Rio? Key or keyfob (SL or SLi/SLS?).
My wife has a new SLS Rio (she lets me drive it occassionally!) and I can't say I have experienced what you describe. When her car is left closed up for a while, there is definitely the horrible smell of plastics, adhesives, etc., but that soon dissipates. Same deal with my Sportage.
It definitely sounds like the key/s are the problem if it is affecting your handbag as well. My wife is in retail selling shoes, and she can have an unpleasant smell on her clothes when she comes home - specially if she has spent the day unpacking new stock.

Perhaps you could try lightly rubbing the keyfob with something to mask the smell? Orange essence, Glen20, etc.?

This is a strange one - hope you get it solved.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
leave the items outside overnight when not in use, or during the day which will help "air" them out much quicker than any enclosed area. Also in the meantime get some type of air freshener inside the car to help "mask" the order, there is many products available for this. Weather permitting leave a couple of windows open a bit when parked to help dissipate any lingering odors.

Can't see what the dealer could do with something like this, other than if you smell other keys at the dealership and see if they are all the same (from a distance). Any key will smell if you put it right up to your nose, just like many products do. Can't say I've come across this problem on any of the various forums I've been on.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 S 1.4
23 Posts
Why don't you go to your dealer (the same salesman who sold you the car) and just drop the keys in his/her desk , go to drink water or something and when you return , ask .. do you notice a smell ? ... there you go, you will have a point to speak about.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5, Electronic Blue
25 Posts
I just got my 2013 Rio 5 in February. At the time, mixed in with the new car scent was a strong, sharp plastic-y, almost chemical scent that I presumed was coming from plastics in the car. I've encountered scents like that in the past when purchasing some plastic item, and the good news is that it goes away before too long.

Now, a few weeks later, the plastic smell is gone and I can smell the new-car scent. :) I've never had a new car before, so I'll enjoy the new car scent while it lasts. Once that has faded, I'll look into getting an air freshener.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts