Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience of towing a caravan in the uk with a diesel auto in the uk. I have a xs on order but they seem to be like gold mine was ordered 27/7/04 and I'm still waiting I've not been given a date other than some time in October.

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Sounds about the right delivery delay, especially as they lost so many when the ship went down. I've always had Troopers (5) but the Sorento tows every bit as well. superb value for money.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
I know of 2 people that tow with them and have no bad words to say. Was speaking to one of them at the weekend that is very pleased with his but it is a manual.

They both waited over 6 weeks for theirs. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Apart from a noisey diesel engine and poor fuel economy my SORENTO XE AUTO has proven to be a very stable towing vehicle.
It towed my 5 berth caravan to the south of France and back in July/August with no problems (covered approx 1800miles at about 20-22mpg), but I did need to use the tiptronic function on the autobox to change up through the gears to avoid excessive engine revs, as in normal auto mode I found that the box would frequently refuse to change from third to fourth (even if I backed off the throttle).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ian, having read your other post, I really think you start a bit of feet stamping at your dealer.
The 5 speed autos can be reluctant to change into 5th below 40mph, but thats about it, also when car is cold it will hold the lower gears longer to help quicken engine warm up.
Recently had another Kia with a faulty engine temp sensor, that prevented top gear engaing etc..

Ask them to provide you with a similar model for you to test for half a day or so, they should have a Sorento diesel auto on fleet.

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Oct 11 2004, 12:01 PM
Ian, having read your other post, I really think you start a bit of feet stamping at your dealer.
The 5 speed autos can be reluctant to change into 5th below 40mph, but thats about it, also when car is cold it will hold the lower gears longer to help quicken engine warm up.
Recently had another Kia with a faulty engine temp sensor, that prevented top gear engaing etc..

Ask them to provide you with a similar model for you to test for half a day or so, they should have a Sorento diesel auto on fleet.
Ian
Having read this post from Murphwiz the penny might have droppedfor me. I have had big diesels since 1991 (hi-tech Isuzu and Toyota engines). The Sorento diesel is the quietest by far BUT only when normal operating temperature is reached. Until it gets there it does tend to sound like a bucket of bolts. Perhaps it is worth checking the temperature sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts