Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rondo LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...hoping someone out here has experience towing with a Rondo. We have a 2010 with the V6 and we'll be towing our 1150 lb. camper across Canada this summer. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to add an auxiliary tranny cooler before heading out? Has someone towed this weight regularly without problems...or encountering some? Thank you for your input. The experience of others is valued!

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
extra cooler is always good... but I would say 500 kg is not so bad. How tall it is? A lot of air drag? Weight is not all... air drag will make big difference for long term load.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rondo LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: Towing with Rondo...How tall is it?

My trailer is a low-sided A-Liner by Columbia. Because of the low sides it is only about 42" to 48" high. I can use my In-car rear view mirror to keep track of traffic behind me.
I got a quote yesterday of $350 for an auxiliary cooler installed so I think I will have it done. My thinking is that it's cheap insurance as opposed to having a transmission rebuilt!

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
So small trailer - do not worry about cooler at all, unless you got o Arizona and will be driving in mountains at high speeds at high temp.

BUT if you want to...
why don't you install the cooler yourself?
for instance, Amazon has some coolers. It takes simply extra radiator (and mounting it), add a little of the ATF fluid and done. Cost - less than 100.

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
367 Posts
I tow a double level trailer that has two sailboats on it, a Laser and a Force 5. It's about as high as the Rondo, total weight just under 700 lbs. No probs with my V6 2007 Rondo. Have been on the flats at 105 deg + with AC running; cooling seems fine. Mtns could be a different story

Attachments

·
Registered
07 rondo ex-v6 7seat, leather,sunroof.infinity 10 spkr audio,09 honda fit sport 5sp.
125 Posts
I thought all v6 07/10 had tranny coolers from the factory?

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
I thought all v6 07/10 had tranny coolers from the factory?
they do. lines enter the radiator I think. Or there is a small loop in the front of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts