Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage LX, V6, 2WD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a newb to this forum. I've had my '06 Sportage V6 for about 4 years now, and I love the hell out of it.

I've got a situation bubbling up concerning the towing capacity of my Sportage, so please bear with me while I explain.

My boyfriend and I will be moving up to Eugene Oregon in the next 2-3 years, after I can save up some money for college (starting a 2nd career path). Both of us are DIY enthusiasts, mine being on the craft and home decor side, and his on the woodworking and building side. We've always had a dream of building our own vardo or gypsy wagon. Financially we're in a position to realize that dream, and he wants to start looking around for a trailer to use as a base, ideally to be towed by my Sportage. The idea is that we'd take the vardo up to on a long roadtrip from San Diego to Eugene, taking our sweet time, like a week or two to get there.

I see from my owner's manual that WITH BRAKES, I can tow up to 2000lbs. I would insist that we get a braked system for safety/liability reasons.

Here's my problem. I rely on this car totally to get me to work and back everyday, and I will certainly need it once I start university/post grad up in Oregon with out of town internships and whatnot. I'm worried that towing something like this will fry my tranny if we max out the weight.

He claims that he can keep the weight around 1000lbs or under, but based on other towable tiny homes that are comparable in size (like on tumbleweedhouses.com), that seems like dreaming. The smallest towable home on that site is 4000lbs. We'd probably make ours shorter and less of a permanent living space, so he claims that we'd come in way under that weight. I'm just not so sure, and he's adamant that my car can handle it even if it's a little over 2000lbs. Utility trailers at 6'-7'x10'-12' are like 500lbs alone from what I've seen, and given the rest of the materials plus a wood burning stove inside, I think the weight would add up VERY quickly.

I have exactly zero experience with towing, and I've read differing opinions on what I can do with this car. I've read on here that Max towing capacity is just that, and ideally I should only be towing 50-60% of that total for long distances. Others have said they've handled the max just fine.

What are your thoughts? I need some expert opinions about the US gasoline version, not the european diesel version.

What have you towed with your V6 Sportage? How did it handle? Whatever advice you can lend me, I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
I have the petrol V6 4WD here in Aust. I have towed a couple of things with this car. One car trailer, loaded with camping gear. It would have been close to 2500lbs, perhaps a bit more. The car pulled it fine, but it was at its limit I think.

The maximum permissible weight to tow in Aust is 1500kg (3300lbs). I think if you are staying around the 2000lb mark you should be OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts