Kia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here!

So, I’m sure there’s a million posts on different towing and harness and troubleshooting posts but from what I’ve seen each one is different from the next so I apologise in advance for yet another.

Now for the issue. I have a 18 Sorento with a towing harness that came with it since I’ve bought it new I’ve used it twice and both times have worked well. Until the third time… not so well.

I was able to get power to the trailer and the signature lights lit up, however the indicators would either not work, or intermittently and the brake lights wouldn’t work either. So, I checked my vehicles plug and it looked a little dingy so I cleaned it up the best I could but got no where. Next step after that I decided to just replace the plug and figured I’d be done with it. I went with a Hopkins brand quick connection 4 flat plug. The part number is a 48190 in case someone would like to see for reference. On paper it looked like a real easy done deal that even came with fancy LED’s to tell me if it was working or not. Spoiler alert, it was not.

It was a simple process really. Just shove the wires into the prongs and it would cut through the wire housing and make contact with the copper. No splicing, rewiring, new connections.. nothing. Real easy. Unfortunately tho it did not cut all the way through and I was getting nothing. I then had to cut the wire housing back to expose the wire and get a good connection and alas, I had power.

At this point I was like sweet, easy enough. Good to go all is well. No. The signature lights on the trailer are the only thing I could get to work. Turn signals, brake lights, hazards.. nada.

I apologise in advance if my explanation was horrible or if I left any key parts out.

Any ideas where to start? The fuse under the hood has a little sticker on the section where it tells you what ampage to use and it says 15amp which was a little suspect considering all the other numbers were printed to the plastic directly. Does the Sorento have another fuse or some sort of module hidden anywhere from the back to the front of the harness that could have gone bad? Is it using the wrong size fuse? Should it be bigger, smaller?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
145 Posts
Not really an electrical guy, so I think I would be stuck where you are as well... ;)

You want to try to find whatever parts that might be relevant below?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
Your Sorento is equipped with a plug and play main harness so I don't know why you are doing all this piercing of wires - that is never a good thing as those type connections are crap in my opinion and subject to failure or intermittent contact. The PNP harness works perfectly for many on this forum, takes just a few minutes to install and the mating ends are already there on the right side of the vehicle. Shame on the dealer if they didn't use the proper harness when installing the hitch but unless you've moved away, I'd be back at the dealer telling them to fix their work at their cost.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
Replace the convertor harness which connects to two plugs under the rear drivers side. Assuming of course the problem is not your trailer!!! There are testers you can plug the flat four into which check/show the output which is lighting LED's. This is a need to know as your trailer is drawing a lot more current to light and brake lights as well.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your Sorento is equipped with a plug and play main harness so I don't know why you are doing all this piercing of wires - that is never a good thing as those type connections are crap in my opinion and subject to failure or intermittent contact. The PNP harness works perfectly for many on this forum, takes just a few minutes to install and the mating ends are already there on the right side of the vehicle. Shame on the dealer if they didn't use the proper harness when installing the hitch but unless you've moved away, I'd be back at the dealer telling them to fix their work at their cost.
I didn’t even know the plug and play system was a thing for the car. Hence why I’m asking here 💁🏻‍♂️
Any brand recommendations or maybe an OEM harness ican pick up at a dealer perhaps?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replace the convertor harness which connects to two plugs under the rear drivers side. Assuming of course the problem is not your trailer!!! There are testers you can plug the flat four into which check/show the output which is lighting LED's. This is a need to know as your trailer is drawing a lot more current to light and brake lights as well.
I actually plugged one of those testers into the old connector and I wasn’t able to get any of the turn signal lights to come on. After I swap out the connector and nothing that was gonna be my next stop seeing as the old one was corroded anyway.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
ETrailer in the US sell them.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
That whole harness is required just to swap the plug out or can I just get the end piece?
It sounds like you are wanting to cut and splice yet more wires. Buy the whole harness, do the simple installation and all your wiring remains intact (except for what is already spliced or pierced). I have been warned by people much brighter than myself that with today's cars, a lot of the sensors are so sensitive, that changing the resistance in a wire lead via a splice or solder joint, can change the way that sensor "sees" a signal. I know it's true with O2 sensors which work off a very small voltage and and even smaller delta between the pre and post cat sensors. Plus, there is always the issue of warranty - a cut and taped up wire, should it be discovered, could become grounds for possible rejecting a claim (probably not but why risk it). It probably wouldn't hurt a thing to do what you suggested but why when that harness fits in so nicely and looks factory when it's all done (probably because it is the same as the Kia part for when they install a "factory tow package).

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL V6 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like you are wanting to cut and splice yet more wires. Buy the whole harness, do the simple installation and all your wiring remains intact (except for what is already spliced or pierced). I have been warned by people much brighter than myself that with today's cars, a lot of the sensors are so sensitive, that changing the resistance in a wire lead via a splice or solder joint, can change the way that sensor "sees" a signal. I know it's true with O2 sensors which work off a very small voltage and and even smaller delta between the pre and post cat sensors. Plus, there is always the issue of warranty - a cut and taped up wire, should it be discovered, could become grounds for possible rejecting a claim (probably not but why risk it). It probably wouldn't hurt a thing to do what you suggested but why when that harness fits in so nicely and looks factory when it's all done (probably because it is the same as the Kia part for when they install a "factory tow package).
You would be wrong sir. I wasn’t sure if it was in sections so to speak where you could just purchase the last section at the rear of the car that would have the connector and plug right into the module or some where else. No one’s looking to cut more wires than needed.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
You would be wrong sir. I wasn’t sure if it was in sections so to speak where you could just purchase the last section at the rear of the car that would have the connector and plug right into the module or some where else. No one’s looking to cut more wires than needed.
Mine was not in sections, it's exactly as shown in the etrailer link. Took maybe five minutes to install and my hitch had a place to mount the 4 prong connector so it was really simple and has a very factory look to it.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
From what I'd read earlier. I expect your controller is shot. If it was a CURT one they don't last long. They'll corrode inside and fault for sure. Its happened to me some time ago. They make a great hitch but not the modules so I bought ones which are sealed far better now in my new sorento's

I saw my kit box in the garage, Tekonsha was the harness make which is a lot better that CURT. It comes with everything you'd want to install as well secure it properly.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0 tGDI AWD
221 Posts
i've had my harness on mine replaced twice under warranty and once i was out of warranty i replaced it with a curt harness that also has a power line that goes all the way to the battery. no issues since then.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento V6
9 Posts
Always check your grounds as well. A poor ground will cause intermitted/total failures of lights to operate correctly. As I recall from installing my plug & play connector there was a ground wire with a loop terminal that required fastening to the car body with a self tapping screw. Make sure to get a good clean connection to the car body by scraping off the paint under the loop connector before screwing it down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, new member here!

So, I’m sure there’s a million posts on different towing and harness and troubleshooting posts but from what I’ve seen each one is different from the next so I apologise in advance for yet another.

Now for the issue. I have a 18 Sorento with a towing harness that came with it since I’ve bought it new I’ve used it twice and both times have worked well. Until the third time… not so well.

I was able to get power to the trailer and the signature lights lit up, however the indicators would either not work, or intermittently and the brake lights wouldn’t work either. So, I checked my vehicles plug and it looked a little dingy so I cleaned it up the best I could but got no where. Next step after that I decided to just replace the plug and figured I’d be done with it. I went with a Hopkins brand quick connection 4 flat plug. The part number is a 48190 in case someone would like to see for reference. On paper it looked like a real easy done deal that even came with fancy LED’s to tell me if it was working or not. Spoiler alert, it was not.

It was a simple process really. Just shove the wires into the prongs and it would cut through the wire housing and make contact with the copper. No splicing, rewiring, new connections.. nothing. Real easy. Unfortunately tho it did not cut all the way through and I was getting nothing. I then had to cut the wire housing back to expose the wire and get a good connection and alas, I had power.

At this point I was like sweet, easy enough. Good to go all is well. No. The signature lights on the trailer are the only thing I could get to work. Turn signals, brake lights, hazards.. nada.

I apologise in advance if my explanation was horrible or if I left any key parts out.

Any ideas where to start? The fuse under the hood has a little sticker on the section where it tells you what ampage to use and it says 15amp which was a little suspect considering all the other numbers were printed to the plastic directly. Does the Sorento have another fuse or some sort of module hidden anywhere from the back to the front of the harness that could have gone bad? Is it using the wrong size fuse? Should it be bigger, smaller?
Trailer/car connections are notorious for having/needing a good ground. I would make that number 1 to check.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts