Kia Forum banner

Towing Caravans

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ASCIO 
#1 ·
Usual bone of contention which I really don't want to start off again!

I would appreciate some feed back from people that tow caravans, just so I can get a rough feel for the mpg that I should expect on a long run. mine is a single axle/1.5 ton max but have seen a twin axles on a Sorento which seemed to be coping very well. I know we all have differnt styles of driving/caravan wieght/drag factors, I'm just look for a rough idea.

Thanks very much for the feed back. A few more weeks and I am off to the top of Scotland(Scorie) from Norfolk so this is going to be a good run and the longest caravan tow I would have every done. Seems regardless I am going to get a fairly good average as I was expecting less, so far solo running at best has been 28 mpg. We will see??

Have heard no bad reports on the Sorento as a tow car, believe me I have checked every source I can find. Last car was a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi which nearly cost me my caravan. even solo I did not find the car stable, so anyone thinking of one check the weight?? they are not as heavy as the manual states.

#3 ·
Originally posted by iannrandall@Jan 23 2005, 09:21 AM
Usual bone of contention which I really don't want to start off again!

I would appreciate some feed back from people that tow caravans, just so I can get a rough feel for the mpg that I should expect on a long run. mine is a single axle/1.5 ton max but have seen a twin axles on a Sorento which seemed to be coping very well. I know we all have differnt styles of driving/caravan wieght/drag factors, I'm just look for a rough idea.
Hi Iannrandall
I tow a 1400kg.Max TEC. Last summer, on average I got about 23mpg!!! I am hoping to do better this coming summer as I have fitted a tuning box (more in other threads) and hope to do better. As soon as I venture out for the first time this year I will post my findings.
regards
Towguy

#4 ·
I tow a lunar delta twin axle 1500kgs and i get about 23mpg which im more than happy with.Its one of the best tow cars ive had.Tootling around B roads or doing 55mph on the motorway nothing seems to bother it and the fuel consumption doesnt vary much.The auto gearbox copes better with the van on than the manual that i borrowed.The cruise control works well as well.

#10 ·
Do a search on Auto Trader UK for the Kia Sorento selling pages. Look around the end of the prices, £23 - £25,000 mark, you will see 4 really smart pics of the new XSE in a very striking light blue colour. Not sure if I like the wheels though .... matter of taste I suppose !!!
Cheers
mark
:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Thanks Mark. Had to dig up my old Autotrader login to use the website. Yeah, don't like the wheels my current ones are better :). They have made some small changes I guess. Mine is a 53 with the 'cheap wood' fabric. I also have the old 4 speed auto. I hear the new one is much better.

Having said that, with all the add-ons I made (tinted windows/removable towbar/step bar/ - mine is probably a close wannabe XSE! :)

I just WISH they could come up with some proper diesel engine soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.