Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go nuts trying to understand our Kia's true capabilities. If possible I'd like to get your opinions and recommendations by those who've tried towing heavy (for this car) loads or thought about it and decided not to.

We have a 2012 Sorento EX V6 FWD. We're looking at lightweight travel trailers. Regarding weights and hitches I've asked the Kia dealer we bought it at and they don't know (strictly "consult your owner's manual), called Kia North America and got two different answers from two different people and two different opinions from two hitch installation companies.

The two trailers we've narrowed it down to have the following specs:

1st choice

286 lb tongue weight (dry)
2649 lb trailer weight (dry)

2nd choice

270 lb tongue weight
2690 lb trailer weight (dry)

I know the car has a 350/3500 pound limit and these numbers are close. And per Kia North America no weight distribution hitches are allowed as the Sorento is a unibody.

Can I realistically tow either of these trailers with four people in the car and the trailer loaded with a few days worth of supplies without killing the car and being stuck in a no warranty situation due to overloading?

And/or are any of you towing these types of trailers and weights and if so how's the car holding up?

Thanks a lot for any answers or opinions.

·
Registered
2011 Optima EX 2.4L (A/T), 2011 Sorento EX 3.5L (A/T) AWD
104 Posts
I've only towed around 1000 lbs to date but I did have a 2002 Ford Escape (V6/200HP) that towed our Coleman/Fleetwood popup that weighed that same as the weights you've listed without any problem. With Sorento's more powerful V6 I can't imagine it having issues. I believe many states require brakes on trailers over 1500 lbs which means you'll need to install a brake controller if the trailer has electric brakes.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
Hello,

I tow a tent trailer (LX V6 AWD). Loaded, I`m estamating the camper right around 3000lbs (empty it`s 2500lbs) with a tongue wieght of 300lbs.

I have no problems towing. I have a class 2 hitch that was factory installed. After my first trip out I decided to get the brake controller installed as this helped a lot with stopping. Before I had the brake controller installed I bought a 4 pin tow vehicle to 7 pin trailer adapter and when braking I could feel the camper pushing quite a bit.

With the weights mentioned above, a class 2 hitch and brakes, you will have no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for the information.

On the brake controller, did you get Kia to install it for you or an independent? The dealers around here won't do it. I got a price from an independent hitch shop of $334.00 installed for a class III hitch, 4 pin flat connector wiring and a ball mount and ball. Had a pop-up then but we've decided to go travel trailer after a long weekend in it so I'll need to price with the controller.

I want to go with a class III hitch if I decide to use the car just so ball mounts will interchange with my truck. It's a Dodge V6 with 100 horsepower less and seats two so not good for towing with the family.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
We had the tow package and a dealer-installed electric brake control unit for our 1,600KG caravan.
We also used stabilizer bars. (Weight distribution hitch; same thing as far as I can make out)

That being said, the Australian AWD 2.2ltr turbo diesel model can tow a maximum of 2,000KG with the auto and 2,500KG with the manual.

It can do it, but be careful.
Also - we only have one 'tow package.'

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
I had the controller installed at an independant garage. If you ask Kia to do it, they are going to send it to an independant anyway and add % to the bill!

336$, did that include the hitch and controller? If so, great price!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts