Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a sportage and I have found what seems to be a great deal. There is a 2002 Sportage EX with 160K miles on it that was a RV tow-behind. The dealer claims only 50K miles on the engine withthe rest from towing. I translate this to probably 80 to 100K on the engine.

My question is, will the odometer on a 2002 sportage register miles if it is towed on all four wheels? I hope somebody knows because I really don't want to buy a car with 160K miles.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well the speed sensor is in the tranny, and can be disabled by simply un-pluging the connection.

I'd be asking my self if I could trust the person selling the car? Second 160k under power or under tow is still 160k worth of wear on the drive train parts (except engine), hubs, spring, gears, axle's, oil seals etc!

Check to see if there are signs of a front tow bar ever being on the vehicle, there should be visible signs, brackets, extra non factory holes, wear spots etc! on the front frame area under the front bumper, if there are no signs of it ever being towed, assume it wasn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to the kia manual the car shouldnt ever be towed on two wheels for more than 30 miles, you may be looking at potentially replacing the rear end on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When towing a 2 wheel drive car on the ground, the driveshaft should be disconnected so the transmission internal do not rotate. The differential is a closed lubrication system and will suffer no damage from being towed. BUT the rearend still has 160k miles. If the drive shaft was not removed, the pump in the transmission was not pumping fluid and severly shortened the lifespan. To make matters worse the section of the tranny that was spinning most likely burned the fluid that will now be recirculated to the untouched parts. The other member is correct too, all other parts have 160k too. Be carefull!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is noway it was towed.I towed mine for 50 miles in neutral and burned up the transmission.
Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I belong to several RV forums. I didn't know you had a forum for Kia.
I was checking the pages to see if someone knew anything about the location of the PVC valve on a 2002 Sportage, 2 door when I noticed the question about towing a Kia. I bought my Kia Sportage new in 2002 for the purpose of towing it. The manual states not to tow it over 55 MPH and to put the transfer case in 2nd and the transmission in nutural. I talked to a friend of mine who happens to be a diesel macanhic. Here is what he told me to do and I have been doing this since I bought the car. I put the transfer case AND transmission in natural and put the switch in ACC postion. NO MILES run up on the car. I have gone from Rhode Island (where I am from) to Columbia, SC to Texas (2 times) and out to Las Vagas and back to Columbia, SC, back to Rhode Island and Back to Columbia, SC again. The point I am trying to make is we have traveled across the country twice towing the Kia racking up NO miles. Also I set my cruise control on 65 MPH. Again, I have been doing this since 2002 and have not had any trouble with my car.
Sorry for being so long winded on my first post.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
chajosi, Don't I know you from IRV2? I just purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage 4D 2WD manual transmission to tow 4 down with my Pace Arrow motor home. After purchasing it I find out they say not to exceed 55 MPH. Well that won't work. They say to stop at 400 miles and run the car for a few minutes to lub the trans. I think I will tow at 60-65 and stop at 200-250 miles. Are you saying you tow at 65 and no problem since 2002? Thanks for any help from anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts