Kia Forum banner
161 - 180 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
You maybe a winner anyway. Towing as stated adds load which results in heat. Increasing the RPM of the engine in high load situations helps a lot and give a lot more power and torque to get up the grade if the transmission hasn't down shifted sufficiently.

You should be fine. I have forgotten all your tow setup and load but high speeds is hard with high wind drag being a major factor!!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
93 Posts
My major concern was safety.... or sway particularly. Luckily my setup is pretty stable even without sway control. However, since it's cheap, I added sway control just in case I get a gust of wind out of nowhere. Below was a footage filmed by wife... I'm purposely allowing a big rig to blow pass me to see if I will sway... Looks stable enough.

Any other ways to test for sway?

I can imagine on a remote narrow single lane highway, if a big rig were coming at you in the opposing direction, that can probably cause a lot of side load? Or going thru some windy canyon over a bridge?

However, I don't have any places like that around LA to test... :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
my mechanic was trying to convince me how the atf cooler is connected to the factory warmer doesn’t matter much… I guess I can’t really prove him wrong. Surely he just didn’t want to redo the work…
Anyway, upon closer examination, I think he did a sloppy job because the atf cooler is only attached to my radiator at one top corner and then the other corner at the bottom is just sitting on the front bumper floor. So there’s a gap between the atf cooler and the radiator! I decided to push the cooler closer to the radiator that way when the factory puller fan draws the air in, it’ll also draw more air thru the atf cooler.

I also flipped the front license plate mount so that it’s sitting a bit higher and no longer partially blocking the bottom front grill.

I think these minor adjustments are helping! Today I took a trip to the beach with the family as another test run. 30 miles from my house. On the way to the beach there’s a constant slight drop in elevation and my tranny temp hovered only around 200F on the fwy. On the way home with some elevation increases… my temp never reached 220F! One time it got close so I squirt a bit of water and yeah, that helped stopped the temp increase! I think I got this tranny temp thing under control now! ;)

i will try to tackle real inclines later…, but I do believe asking the Sorento to haul 4000+ lbs to mountain top is probably asking too much!😝

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
107 Posts
.... there’s a gap between the atf cooler and the radiator! I decided to push the cooler closer to the radiator that way when the factory puller fan draws the air in, it’ll also draw more air thru the atf cooler........
Unless the fins align exactly, having the ALF cooler right against the radiator will actually block air flow.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Unless the fins align exactly, having the ALF cooler right against the radiator will actually block air flow.
All cooler use to specify at least 1 inch clearance. Never place direction against another surface if thats what was done. Some older units came with a through the rad Zip tie but we have A/C condenser there now but same deal which could damage it in time.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
562 Posts
my mechanic was trying to convince me how the atf cooler is connected to the factory warmer doesn’t matter much… I guess I can’t really prove him wrong.
There are a lot of more knowledgeable people around that may challenge your mechanics statement. Some good info has been provided in this thread, not much more to say here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are a lot of more knowledgeable people around that may challenge your mechanics statement. Some good info has been provided in this thread, not much more to say here.
yeah, the mechanic was not trying to convince me that he’s right and we’re wrong, just trying to weasel his way out of redoing it I guess.

Now back to the placement of the atf cooler, are you guys sure we can’t place the atf cooler right against to the radiator condenser?

I don’t think my DIY modification of pushing it closer to the radiator caused any air blockages… for sure ATF temp dropped and i didn’t notice any heat gains of coolant nor did I notice any AC issues. So the system seemed to work better to me.

however, will this cause damages in the future? For sure we need some gaps between them?

do you guys have any pics to show what a proper install look like?
I thought atf coolers typically are attached right up to the radiator condenser…

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
How or what’s installed to create such gap?
This is my current setup. As you can see I moved up the license place a bit. It used to cover up part of this grill opening.

I also created a block to support and push the atf cooler back more. That bottom corner used to just sit on the floor… and that will allow for plenty of gap if we really need a gap…

·
Registered
93 Posts

this is the best pic I could take from the top… the one and only attach point of the atf cooler… I felt around my atf cooler… there is like a quarter inch gap between it and the radiator… not really sure how that gap was achieved, probably built-in to the atf cooler itself?

anyway, just want to verify if we really need more spacing…

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Those are not an efficient cooler. Hayden is a key OEM for Flat Plate coolers. EG. This one for example, compact and disperses a lot of heat and has flanges where brackets can be bolted to suppot them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how my mechanic ended up selected what I have right now... I told him I wanted the biggest cooler possible, he's the one recommending adding a fan..., but in the end he told me the fan won't fit and he ended up installing this typical tube fine cooler. Could be other fitment or availability issues?

For example the link you provided, they don't even have Kia as a maker... so I selected Hyundai Santa Fe with the V6 engine... and the website is tell me that it won't fit. I wonder why. They don't look that bulky or thick...

Anyway, based on the performance of my latest test run, I am pretty happy with my setup at the moment. But I don't want to cause any longterm damage. If there are any recommendations to fix things, please do let me know.

That mechanic didn't want to switch the hoses because it's not 'wrong' to do what he did... of course it's probably better to do it the way you guys recommended. However, if we can pinpoint something specifically wrong and might cause longterm damage, then he'll have to fix it. I hope.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
I am not sure as its and addon cooler. I did the same. I have used them in so many vehicles which did not have external coolers. These are all the same thickness and the last one I did was hanging off metal straps from the top front frame area as well as side where I could bolt to. Ram Air is sufficient for these. I haven't seen behind the grill but that cooler you have is what I've seen on some oem PS pump coolers or bigger engine oil coolers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
okay, I think my Sorento is as ready as it can be. 1st time real camping overnite… about a 40 mile drive. Tranny temp hovered at around 200F only!

Heading to the beach you’re always losing elevation, so Sorento had gravity assist I guess.

on our way back, temp hovered only at around 210F on the fwy. My goal is to stay below 220F… during the last stretch home on surface streets, due to a lot of stop and go traffics, temp was approaching 220F, but I squirt the ATF cooler a few times… not sure if that really helped , but at least I never reached 220F during the whole trip!
So I think I’m good.

comparing to other campers, my trailer is really small! ;)

I’m actually planning to move the family with my 9 yr old and 3 cats from California to Washington. I think I’ll be going the costal route to avoid forest fires and mountain hills…

I will report back if Sorento makes the 1100 mile journey!

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Avoiding mountain passes is a must for heavy towing. Transmission service every two years, drain and fill as well. Should be fine for the long run. You colour looks similar to mine (Titanic its called). Enjoy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good thing Sorento is not a ship! :p

anyway, yeah, I like the color. No idea what it’s called. Bought it from the dealer CPO so I actually had no color options at all… was also lucky to find this one and only trailer, cheap enough so that I can afford, with similar color stickers! ;)

at the moment my biggest headache are the cats! They don’t like camping for sure! At least I think I don’t have to worry about my Sorento for now…

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sorento SXL
2 Posts
Hi I am Rocky and I'm new to the forum.
I have seen many forums questioning Towing with the Sorento with many people not finding answers due to dealerships not being helpful. Fortunately, my dealer has given me some answers. To clarify, these are for 2016 Sorento with a V6 engine rated to to 5000 lbs.

Myth 1 - As a unibody vehicle, it is not recommended to use a weight distribution system on the Sorento. WRONG!
FACT: If you plan on towing anything heavy enough to need trailer breaks, a WDS is highly recommended for added handling and safety. It is recommended to use a WDS with built-in sway control rather than a seperate sway bar.

Myth 2 - If something were to happen while towing a large load, warrantee will not cover. WRONG!
FACT: As long as you tow within the limits of the vehicle described in your owners manual, warrantee will cover. NOTE: The tongue weight of the trailer must be accounted for when calculating the GVWR of the tow vehicle (Sorento). If the GVWR of your Sorento is 1100 lbs (as my 7 seater is) and the tongue weight of your trailer is 450 lbs, you only have 650lbs left of person and cargo carrying capacity inside the Sorento. The trailer's weight can still be up to 5000 lbs.

Myth 3 - Using a weight distribution system can increase your trailer weight and tongue weight capacity by 25%. WRONG!
FACT: Using a WDS is what gets you to the max of 5000 lbs. Doing so without one would be very unsafe and ill-advised.

Myth 4 - Running wires through your Sorento for trailer breaks is very costly and can affect your warrantee.
FACT: It is difficult to run these wires and it can become a warranty complication if you have future electrical problems in the car, as this new wiring will not be covered due to them not being a standard feature of the car. The best way to avoid this is to use a wireless break control module such as the Tekonsha Prodigy RF. It is more expensive to buy, but much easier to install and avoids any future warrantee questions. It can also utilise the stock 4 pin plug with a simple 7 pin adapter.

With these clarifications, I would also like to add some advise or recommendations for towing in general as people seem to have misunderstandings. First off, it is completely normal to see higher RPMs while cruising with a trailer. This is true even in pickup trucks. The engine RPM is not the biggest concern, but more the transmission temperature. In trucks and some vans, there is a TOW HAUL mode, which is not featured in the Sorento. However, the SPORT MODE does something quite similar in that it lets the engine rev higher in order to save the transmission from having to shift often for every slight incline change in the road. It is especially important to try to avoid shifting often as the Sorento features no transmission temperature gauge. Follow these considerations and the only thing you have to keep an eye on is your engine temperature.

The Sorento is by no meens a pickup truck, but that doesn't meen it can't tow. In fact, it has won many awards in Europe for being a good tow car as pickup trucks are a rarity. However here are extra considerations when towing.

Cruising at higher then unloaded RPMs is normal, but pushing the car to tow a trailer at faster highway speeds is NOT GOOD, and that is a fact for any towing vehicle. In sport mode, the Sorento will stay on the highway mostly in 4th gear and show approximately 2800 RPM at 90 kph. This is a great towing speed on flat ground. Going any faster will cause extra stress on the vehicle and worse gas mileage...and for how much gain? In this setting, you'll see better than 20L per 100km of gas mileage. IF YOU ARE IN A RUSH TO GO CAMPING, YOU ARE DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF CAMPING IN THE FIRST PLACE. Also, when you see an uphill coming, increase your speed to gain momentum without shifting (staying in 4th, not exceeding 100 kph) and then letting the speed bleed off slowly as you are climbing as to try to get to the top without shifting into 3rd. If you have a long steep incline, just putt putt up the hill at 70kph. IF PEOPLE BEHIND YOU GET IMPATIENT THAT EASILY, THEIR PROBLEMS WERE ROOTED LONG BEFORE YOU SHOWED UP. Camping is meant to be relaxing and the towing experience should be the same. Don't let others ruin your trip and don't wreck your car trying to content others. Besides, they're probably just jealous of your new rig :p.

An email I sent to my Kia dealer to thank him for getting the info needed for my Airlift kit and the airbags in my rear springs. Not sure where to put this but i bet i'm not the only one that wants to tow something with his sorento.

Sorento SXL at Truck and Thunder. " I also got a 5” rise and 16” long bar so that it would keep the trailer away from my bumper and keep the tongue off the ground. After putting some weight it the trailer I was worried about the squat of the rear end. I started some research which led me to you to find out what size my rear coils were. You told me mine were: height 319.7mm and inner was 86mm. After calling Air Lift twice I then went to Truck and Thunder in Fredericksburg Va to see if they could install the Air Lift kit. After much gnashing of teeth, bc of the question of “will the 60901 bags fit or the 60902 bc of the height of the bags. The hard part of the decision was the nipple on top of the bag may interfere with the airline getting frazzled. Truck and Thunder was Leary of buying the kit and it not working, then it was on them. I got on line and found SD Truck Springs and was fortune to get hooked up with Oscar Montano. His number is 631 938 7346. After going over my concerns I settled on a smaller bag. #81560. It was 5.5” tall x 3” round. I bought the entire kit from SD Truck Springs. The bag was 4137 and the EZMount kit and compressor was $565. Now that I assumed all the responsibility, Truck and Thunder installed it for $433. I got a remote to control the air pressure, but don’t use it bc of the app that does it all. Now that I have an operational system, I’m gonna go back to talk to the installer to see if he thinks a taller bag will work. Thanks for the help!
I love my Sorento, it runs alike a scalded dog with the 3.3 engine!"

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
NOTE: The further you move the ball from the hitch/bumper from the normal. The lower your tongue weight rating becomes, since you now have more leverage on the end of the hitch being further out. Its a big factor for those who install bike rack carrying 4 bikes a long way back. They is no more than half the rating or less at that point. Using an receiver extender for a light trailer is fine, but not for big heavy ones!!

·
Registered
2020 Sorrento EX+
14 Posts
NOTE: The further you move the ball from the hitch/bumper from the normal. The lower your tongue weight rating becomes, since you now have more leverage on the end of the hitch being further out. Its a big factor for those who install bike rack carrying 4 bikes a long way back. They is no more than half the rating or less at that point. Using an receiver extender for a light trailer is fine, but not for big heavy ones!!
I was about to say the same thing.
The longer the distance from your rear axle, the more weight that axle is going to take. It's very easy to overload your axle that way and why weight distribution hitches are a good idea.

100lbs directly over the axle only adds 100lbs to the rear wheels. Once you get behind the axle you start lifting the front of the vehicle and load is transferred from the front axle to the rear. That 100lbs loaded behind the vehicle could add 150lbs to the rear wheels and remove 50lbs from the front. Even more with an extension.

161 - 180 of 232 Posts