Kia Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
43 Posts
Yeah, like that. Or if you could just figure out how to get one of these bolted to the front end somehow where it wouldn't obstruct the view, you could cool the air before it even gets to radiator, assuring that the thermostat would never have to open! Now, where to connect the garden hose???

View attachment 119911
:ROFLMAO:

Regarding garden hose, I was thinking of diverting the rear window washer sprayer tube…

but Kia has embedded them tubes very well that I can't even find them in order to divert them!

Anyway, I can't seem to find in the manual whether if our ATF is synthetic or not. It seems synthetic ones could lower the temperatures further because not only synthetics has a wider operating temperature, but also better heat transfer properties... I'm assuming we don't have synthetic...

I've also seen people putting on 2 ATF coolers on their tow vehicles. I couldn't fit a fan on my ATF cooler because not enough distance between the radiator and the front grill/bumper... however, the radiator is big enough that I could possibly add another ATF cooler? I will call my shop to consult with him.

If I could fix this temperature issue, my Sorento will be set!

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's very typical, except for specific off road vehicles and sports cars requiring customized mounting almost all coolers are just ordering a heat exchanger and hoses and finding somewhere to mount them.

You mentioned your intake air temp. When I mounted the cooler on my GMC Envoy the 'External Air Temperature' (different than IAT) started reading high. I had to relocate that sensor to a different position away from the cooler fins after the install. By any chance is your cooler near or directly under the engine air intake plenum feeding the intake. On Camaro I have a real CAI (cold air injection) it has the air filter and intake relocated to the front left wheel-well outside the engine radiator compartment. IAT is no more than 20*F above ambient. I Just can't drive into any puddles... Going to verify the Sorento when I get a chance.
Yeah, I really have no idea where the sensors are, but yeah, intake air and ambient temps started out the same. But intake air will rise to 160~170 if everything is hot and I'm stuck in traffic. Moving on the highway helps lowering that intake air. Just pulling over to rest will allow the ATF to cool down, but intake air will remain high, so sometimes I open up the hood to let all the hot air in the engine compartment go. Sorento needs a hood with cool vents! Unfortunately after googling a bit, I found nothing online! :p

Anyway, I just think the location of my ATF cooler probably won't matter so much when all the hot air are trapped in the engine compartment with no place to go... when stationary, it's now all up to the radiator fan to blow all the hot air away thru the bottom of the car...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I really think that the third row is a big impact. You add two kids 75 each. You would automatically lose 150 lb on the hitch weight. Why redesign and or add heavy duty springs. when you could just edit the book. I'm sure they were thinking redesigning the Sorento 2018. I don't think it's the transmission because why would they make a crappy transmission and pull 5,000.
the hitch weight is deduced from the maximum payload, just like the kids. usually, the cars can support 10% of their tow capacity as hitch weight + almost another 200pounds per occupant (it really depends)

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,033 Posts
Few if any of us have tongue weight scale. I found the info regarding this on pages 5 - 131 onwards if you're looking for it. Note it also specifies not to tow at high speeds as it will cause increase loading of the powertrain I assume (wind drag is a lot more), hill slope climb limits etc. 100km/hr for us and 70km/hr on long grades. But using lower gears manually downshift should ease the strain on those situation. Flying at 75MPH USA highway speeds are not for this vehicle. If you don't exceed 3500lbs I am sure we'd be fine in most situations. The 5000lbs limit comes with far too many conditions that cannot be met by some towed trailer application. I noted that the CURT hitch I had installed it by far the most robust I have had on any vehicle. The 350lbs tongue weight is a bit laughable specified in the manual after seeing the install and hitch.

I'd certainly like to see and hear a technical reason why its as it is specified in the manual. Finding out after purchasing with reduced limits is clearly backwards thinking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a tongue scale to make sure I’m under 500. it’s not that expensive from Amazon!

my own users manual stated a TW limit of 350!

I would not dare purchase my TT if it weren’t for all the info in this thread.
I’d like to think the 350 value was just overlooked by Kia? It makes zero sense to have 5000 tow capacity with such low TW limit.

anyway, structurally and dynamically, Sorento is really solid. Haven’t yet noticed I’m about to break or yield anything. Dynamically it’s pretty stable too. Also it never felt like it’s straining pulling my heavy trailer.

good thing I monitored the atf temp. Otherwise I’d probably screw up its tranny after a few thousand miles…

for those of you with more towing experience, anything else we can monitor or check?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,033 Posts
As the tranny has no dipstick not really so fluid condition after x miles is an unknown.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,033 Posts
I just looked at my Highlander and all it says is about the 10% weight to be on the Tongue with is 5000lbs tow rating. Hence you cannot have a 5000lb rated Sorento when 10% need to be on the tongue. 350lbs is too light for a normal setup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, ideal tongue weight should be 10~15% of the tow weight.

350 TW can't possibly tow 5000 safely.

So I'm going by the info below:

And you are correct.
Max trailer weight and max tongue weight are different from year to year of manufacturing:

Sorento 2011-2013:
View attachment 115953

Sorento 2014:
View attachment 115952

Sorento 2015:
View attachment 115946

Sorento 2016-2018:
View attachment 115948

Sorento 2019-2020
View attachment 115947

These images are from owner manuals, link to manuals: Kia Cars Owners | Car Owners Manual | Kia Canada
Just select your Sorento year and click Sorento image and you get your manual.

This difference between years looks very strange for me.
Even with the above info, things looked weird.

2014 Sorento lost a lot of towing capacity for some reason.

2016~18 Sorento finally got a reasonable TW of 500, but then lost it in 2019.

Did the cars really changed that much structurally to warrant these weird changes?

I think these conflicting info is probably the fault of whoever's putting these documents together not talking to engineering?

NOBODY makes any tow vehicles like this... limiting TW to be less than 10% of the max tow weight. That's just unsafe. They either should stop advertising it to be capable of towing 5000 lbs if they really wants to cover their butts legally... or I'm just going to assume these are typos.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,886 Posts
Anyway, I can't seem to find in the manual whether if our ATF is synthetic or not.
Your 2017 still calls for SP-IV fluid which is basically the lower viscosity (about 25% less, to be specific) version of the older SP-III.
I could never figure out for certain whether what the factory installs is fully synthetic or not. That said, there are a number of very good full-synthetic SP-IV alternatives out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My tranny shop isn’t open today… I guess he should know. Based on the fluid price he charged last time, I don’t think he added synthetic fluids…

it would suck if sorentos already have synthetics atf, because if I can’t add another cooler, then I guess there’s really nothing else I could do besides adding a mist sprayer out front and cut open some holes on the hood! :D

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,033 Posts
I believe 2019 is the first year the 8 speed was used in the Sorento, at least V6 AWD builds as I have anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can understand if the transmission got weaker or more delicate and they decided to reduce tow capacity…

tranny in front should not be dictating tongue weight In the rear, right?

if this is a brand new model, I’d suspect Kia trying to hide something or cover their butts. However, as we all can see that the numbers have changed erratically over the model years… I’d tend to think this is likely the fault of whoever publishing the manual not properly doing their job rather than Kia engineering not knowing what they’re doing.

Now, even if Kia engineers really were stupid enough to design for only 350 lbs of tongue weight, there ought to be additional factor of safety applied to that load… I don’t believe it will shear off right away at 351 lbs. Plus, metal is ductile and would yield 1st.

so far, I haven’t noticed any permanent deformations based on measuring wheel well and hitch height.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,886 Posts
Now, even if Kia engineers really were stupid enough to design for only 350 lbs of tongue weight, there ought to be additional factor of safety applied to that load… I don’t believe it will shear off right away at 351 lbs. Plus, metal is ductile and would yield 1st.
That would assume that the issue at hand was the strength of the frame. It's not. It's the softness of the suspension. As you'll probably have read in other threads here, there aren't many good options for stiffening up the rear suspension, either. There are a few who have tried the 'air bag' solution, but if you shop around, KYB is about it for shocks, and they're the same as the OEM KYB shocks. A few have tried spring modifications.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ve heard from someone to swap out our springs for Hyundai Veracruz’s stiffer springs.
However, I think my WD hitch works well enough for now.

my hitch height unloaded is 18”. Putting my TT onto would cause it to drop down to 14.75”! A very significant drop… our rear springs for sure are very soft! However, after the WD hitch, I’m now only seeing 1” drop.
I’m satisfied with that.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,033 Posts
I doubt the springs are soft. The capacity for load and passengers is far far more than that limit. I stood on the hitch of my 2015 and it barely moved (I am 240lbs or more) which I've not towed with. I haven't stood on the newly installed hitch of the 2019 but I doubt it will be any different. It appears a heavier vehicle build to me. Doors are heavier for sure.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,886 Posts
It's not that the springs are 'soft', just not as stiff as would be typical for this kind of use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2017 does seem soft. Without WD hitch, the squat is very apparent. However, I have never towed before so I have nothing to compare to. Perhaps 2015 was stiffer, but there’s really no good reason for Kia to reduce TW from 500 back down to 350 for the 2019 model.
Anyway, it’s all speculations from us, Kia needs to sort this mess out…

unfortunately it looks like Kia has decided to stop allowing Sorentos to tow 5000lbs altogether now, but I think that’s mostly because they decided to make Sorentos more fuel efficient and no longer offer V6s.
If you want to tow 5000lbs, you’ll have to get the Tellurides!

they look great and have self leveling suspension so we won’t need to worry about springs or airbags or WD hitches…

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,033 Posts
It's not that the springs are 'soft', just not as stiff as would be typical for this kind of use.
Putting 500lbs in the 3rd row area or on the hitch no different. I saw the anchor points and method used with the cross bolts in the channel. Far far better than the 350lb setup in my old 2008 SF Ltd which only had M10 or such bolts into thread nuts from underneath. I don't recall a tongue limit on its capability.

The CURT hitch is far heavier duty on the 2019, thicker steel and far better securing points and methods used.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,886 Posts
Putting 500# in the 3rd row when used as a cargo area definitely shows up in the rear ride height. So yes, no different.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just spoke to my mechanic, he said he believes Sorento already has synthetic ATF... otherwise they wouldn't dare claiming that it's good for life and you don't need to replace it. Of course that's BS claim, life time means only about 100k miles. When we're towing, we definitely need to replace ATF more often. Most original owners probably would've sold the car before 100k miles... so if you only drive it normally, ATF should be fine.

With regard to adding additional cooler, he thinks its a waste of money. Adding fan makes more sense, but my Sorento just doesn't have the room. Oh well.

He is saying running it at 220F is fine, just don't go over 230F.

I guess I will make another test taking slightly longer trips to see... hopefully my temp will stabilize at or below 230F. I was hoping to see my ATF temp stablize at below 220 so that at 220, I can start to find places to pull over and rest, but I guess I'll have to push that threshold up another 10 degress...

Another thing he mentioned that kinda scares me is that sometimes it is possible for transmission to just suddenly stop working without any warning signs! So he keeps on telling me to get extended warranties, but of course don't tell them you're towing! :p

My factory warranty is still good for another 55k miles and for another 6 years... fingers crossed! ;) Will document in this thread whatever happened to me...

BTW, will Kia monitor this thread and then deny me warranty service? ;)

121 - 140 of 174 Posts