Kia Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Its the breaking point technically. EG If someone hits you, the force is from the other direction. I was pointing it out for those who deem all balls are the same rate. Not so, a more hitch focused business and installer would carry other ones the Walmart and the like don't. Shank diameter is key on what can fit in the insert as well. > than 1 inch is needed.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
838 Posts
Speaking of hauling anyone check their insert and/or ball rating. I cleaned off the top of the ball on the insert I'd used on my son's Explorer 2009 we'er selling. Its rated at 10,000lbs !!! Yep its got balls. The reused insert by CURT with a ball in it is 7500lbs. If you towing at 5000lbs I'd want a ball over rated to be sure they don't let go as well as the insert. Just saying for long haulers. They aren't created equal and various out there even though Both these two balls are 2".
There is no testing standard for trailer balls so manufacturers can stamp pretty much whatever they want on the product. Not even sure which ones are still made in America (if any?) but I wouldn't trust what is stamped into the top of any Chinese steel product.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
93 Posts
Its the breaking point technically. EG If someone hits you, the force is from the other direction. I was pointing it out for those who deem all balls are the same rate. Not so, a more hitch focused business and installer would carry other ones the Walmart and the like don't. Shank diameter is key on what can fit in the insert as well. > than 1 inch is needed.
Not questioning any of that and I fully agree. However, my goal was to aim for meeting min requirements.

When I have the money to buy a bigger truck, then I will likely get a bigger ball!

My 5,000 lbs ball is most likely Chinese ball too. After towing more than 4500 lbs over 1300 miles, I think it's still holding on strong! Didn't break my ball yet! :p

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Well I decided to look around at other sources and found this revelation. See the link below!!
Read carefully 350lbs w/Class II and 500lbs w/Class III. Are we ok now??

I case you're lazy or the browser don't work. Here is the quote direct from eTrailer site.

"Your 2019 Kia Sorento is rated for 2,000 lbs and 200 lb tongue weight if you have the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine and 1-1/4 inch trailer hitch receiver. If you have the 3.3L V6 then if you have the 3,500 lb towing capacity with 350 lb tongue weight if you have the 1-1/4 inch receiver and 5,000 lb and 500 lb tongue weight if you have the 2 inch receiver."

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think my weakest link is the ball at 500#. WD hitch at 1,000#. The tow hitch installed by uhaul with lifetime warranty was 750#.
I think a locking pin I got from Harbor Freight was 500# too.
Anyway, I inspected that pin and all those parts after my trip… I think everything looks fine.
min 2nd thought, I probably should take the ball off and inspect it closer…

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh, I think it’s also worthwhile to include that new info i learned about not locking AWD while towing… just let the car decide by itself whether if it’s needed.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD, 2005 Kia Sportage LX V6 AWD, 2014 Chevy Volt
326 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Well, first trip with the new trailer successful. Honestly the Sorento did better than I thought. Took a bit of adjustment on the way out, much more comfortable on the way back.

Trailer specs: Clipper BH17, GVWR 3,600 lbs, tongue weight 365 lbs.

Towing set up: Airlift 1000 air bags. Height adjustable hitch with sway control.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
66 Posts
Trailer specs: Clipper BH17, GVWR 3,600 lbs, tongue weight 365 lbs.
Towing set up: Airlift 1000 air bags. Height adjustable hitch with sway control.
What was an average RPM during your trip? And how far did you go?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, I have found 3000 rpm to be the sweet spot of having just enough torque for towing and not overheating the engine/transmission at the same time.

so what were the adjustments made that made the whole towing experience better on the return trip? Please share some lessons learned!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD, 2005 Kia Sportage LX V6 AWD, 2014 Chevy Volt
326 Posts
Yes, I have found 3000 rpm to be the sweet spot of having just enough torque for towing and not overheating the engine/transmission at the same time.

so what were the adjustments made that made the whole towing experience better on the return trip? Please share some lessons learned!
Just an overall adjustment to towing a much bigger trailer. Learning the braking points, getting comfortable with spacing, acceleration, etc. White knuckled it there, more comfortable on the return trip. And honestly more comfortable with the Sorento's abilities. Have to add, the place where we stayed, had two other Sorentos towing similar size trailers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, Sorento looks real small compared to big American trucks, but its capabilities really is pretty impressive after experiencing it 1st hand!

Anyway, so did you end up getting an ATF cooler or not? Did you monitor the ATF temp?

I know I was probably asking my Sorento too much by towing very near its 5,000# limit! For your lighter trailer, perhaps factory 'cooler' is good enough?

221 - 232 of 232 Posts