Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this info on kiatechinfo.about the deletion of the tow hook on XM Sorentos, not the smartest thing to do on a 4wd, but it sounds like it may have something to do with US laws. Have a look at the link and see what you think. Sorry the link didn't work so see my post below with the PDF of the article.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,829 Posts
I found this info on kiatechinfo.about the deletion of the tow hook on XM Sorentos, not the smartest thing to do on a 4wd, but it sounds like it may have something to do with US laws. Have a look at the link and see what you think. Kia Global Information System (KGIS)
I could not bring up this link. But I have a little input for you. IF these tow hooks are bolt ons and easy to get off. Then Like was the case with my 91 Miata (a unibody like the NEW Sorento XM) with its three bolt on tow hooks which I took off. They are NOT for classic towing of things like we can with our Sorentos (BL's). They are more SHIPPING HOOKS for use in factory to dealer work. Nothing more. And very much not a good thing to use after the vech is sold. Infact many vechs are not meant to be towed on a FLATBED wrecker truck using them at all. It bends and tweaks the body badly. Ask many a body shop this fact of life. They keep their frame machines in business and profitable due to that fact. Yes I know many vechs they are welded on. But still should NOT be used like above. The removable ones if that is what the XM has and my Miata did are just nice to get rid of the problem at its source and taek it out of the picture away form the purple gorillas that might use them. Face it guys the NEW Sorento (XM) is not a Sorento RWD (BL) nor Borrego RWD (HM) and never will be. It is a FWD CAR chassis (FWD/AWD) design now. Not a off road vech still. You are buying a AUDI Q6/VW Tiguan/Hyundai Santa Fe-Veracruz/Subaru Tribeca now. The AWD versions out side the Subaru AWD (no choice) one is just there to help in snow/bad road-weather as I nice touch if you buy ($$$$) it with it. As you can buy a Sorento XM in now but not in all trims

2.4 FWD
2.4 AWD no low range
3.5 FWD
3.5 AWD no low range

UPDATE! Just when you think something does not work it starts to work! After looking again once I worte this. The following is VERY MUCH a good idea. DO not use these things (threaded eye bolt) in tool kits for just the reason I stated. As well as yes the very hazardous reasons if the threads shear or strip out. Do I have to re-tell most about the 2003-2005 3.5L Crank Bolts?

KT2010033001
3/30/2010
Disuse of threaded eye bolt in tool kit provided with vech built to Feb 22/2010.
Deletion of bolt from kit and threaded hole for it in production line vechs Feb 22/2010 on.

Based on this now if you going to try to tow or drag something allot, buy a hitch and get a short receiver (looks like a brick) like I have with two holes in it. One to mount it in hitch with pin and one that a nice proper sized marine/industrial threaded pin to close U hook goes thru. If you have been around boats you know them or a GOOD hardware store. Thou I love Home Depot and Lowes is nice, they are NOT where you should be looking. They have the small ones not the big ones you need. And your set to go. Even if your are not smart to go easy and bend your Sorento (XM) in time. From the jerking force some think is ok, that is way more then merely towing a trailer. They thought to 5000#+ with a rated at 3500# MAX Sorento (BL) was fine. Till they got no simpathy for the 10,000 mile brake jobs with warped rotors and 12 MPG. Not to mention the Trans that quits at 40,000 from and with the high coolent temps on long trips too. 3500# MAX was there for a reason. The truck works/lives best and LONG TERM at or below 3500# MAX The Borrego (HM) was 5000# MAX. Ok soap box over sorry. LOL

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry about the link not working, it did when I first checked it, anyway I will dow load it and put a pdf on about it. There we are. It is a screw in type hook [ I take it to be a front hook] and it has been deleted from new models after a few months production for some reason, both the hook and the spot on the vehicle that it screws into have been deleted in production.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts