Kia Forum banner
121 - 140 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento SX White with grey interior
18 Posts
No need to go aftermarket. Kia sells one for the Sorento. You can buy it from your local dealer or from Kiastuff.
View attachment 117257
I found out that that price is if it is installed at the factory. The dealer said that the price of a hitch and crossbar installed by the dealer was $1300. They gave it to me for the factory price as they knew I would walk away from the deal.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI The Telluride tow harness S9F67-AC001 will work with the 2021 Sorento as long as it has the 12 pin harness under the drivers side rear. With this harness you don’t have to run the wire to the front of the car.
Do you know if the "7-pin" Telluride connector would work as well? I think we need the 7 pin if we are connecting a trailer that has its own brakes?
kiastuff.com lists both as follows: S9F67 AC000 [4-Pin] | S9F67-AC500 [7-Pin]
Anyone know if using the 7 pin Telluride tow harness will work? If yes, where would you have to plug the Brake Controller?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
28 Posts
Got the wire harness. Looks like the entire wiring from the engine fusebox to the hitch area.
Any chance you could post photos of the instructions that came with that kit?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
View attachment 119268 curt hitch finally installed by uhaul for $86 soI put it to a test. Reversing is bitch lol. I had to turn off the sensors three times.
Could you get some pictures without the bike rack and just the hitch hanging from a couple of angles, please?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
24 Posts
Here are a couple photos of my Curt 13473 with a 7-pin. I use a Curt Echo brake controller (click on thumb for larger photo.)
Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
28 Posts
Anyone know if using the 7 pin Telluride tow harness will work? If yes, where would you have to plug the Brake Controller?
Kia 7 pin does work but is not quite ‘plug-N-play’. The Sorento is not pre-wired for a brake controller like the Telluride. The Sorento is missing the brake and charge wires in the factory harness. You have to add those separately if you want the full function of the 7 way plug.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
90 Posts
View attachment 119268 curt hitch finally installed by uhaul for $86 soI put it to a test. Reversing is bitch lol. I had to turn off the sensors three times.
I noticed that the emergency brake activates at least once even after the collision sensor is turned off. The second time you turn off the sensor, the emergency brake does not activate. Is that your experience also?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
I noticed that the emergency brake activates at least once even after the collision sensor is turned off. The second time you turn off the sensor, the emergency brake does not activate. Is that your experience also?
Could you elaborate a bit, please? When would the E brake activate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kia 7 pin does work but is not quite ‘plug-N-play’. The Sorento is not pre-wired for a brake controller like the Telluride. The Sorento is missing the brake and charge wires in the factory harness. You have to add those separately if you want the full function of the 7 way plug.
@Mike789 My Sorento has the “12 pin harness under the drivers side rear”. Does that not have the 12V Hot Lead in it?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
90 Posts
Could you elaborate a bit, please? When would the E brake activate?
This is with a bike rack or cargo carrier attached to the hitch. They are seen by the backup camera and are understandably thought to be foreign objects that the car may collide with. In my experience, the emergency brake is triggered once even if the collision sensor is turned off in advance. Not so bad with a bike rack, but I’d be annoyed if it happened with a trailer on the hitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here are a couple photos of my Curt 13473 with a 7-pin. I use a Curt Echo brake controller (click on thumb for larger photo.)
View attachment 119732 View attachment 119733
@JstGo I think you had the “12 pin harness under the drivers side rear” correct? If so, did you discover if there was a 12V hot lead available on that 12 pin harness, or did you have to run a new hot wire from the battery?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
28 Posts
@Mike789 My Sorento has the “12 pin harness under the drivers side rear”. Does that not have the 12V Hot Lead in it?
There IS a 12V (white) hot lead in the 12 pin harness. That is what powers the module (combines the Kia independent brake and turn signals wires) and also powres all of the lights on the trailer. It is not to be used for trailer battery charging or trailer brakes, each of those require an additional 12awg minimum wire to be ran from the battery and fused.

Factory 12 pin harness

·
Registered
19 Posts
There IS a 12V (white) hot lead in the 12 pin harness. That is what powers the module (combines the Kia independent brake and turn signals wires) and also powres all of the lights on the trailer. It is not to be used for trailer battery charging or trailer brakes. Each of the require an additional 12awg minimum wire to be ran.
View attachment 119770
View attachment 119769
Thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
19 Posts
Yeah, right, 'don't go to the aftermarket'. Bought my hitch from Realtruck.com for $179. View attachment 119497
Dear forum; I have to retract this recommendation because the order for the hitch never produced the hitch. Real Truck gave a delivery date of June 30, then moved it out to July 30. This wiped out 2/3 of the summer, so I cancelled the order. I did find one locally for $250, and I grabbed it up.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
24 Posts
Thank you Mike789 for the wiring help. Here are photos of my wiring, with captions. (I also included a photo of the hitch bolt above the muffler to show the close clearance.)

I did additional wire protection after these photos, using wire wrap and electrical tape. I used liquid electrical tape for additional sealing of the wire run. The black wire runs from the battery, follows the brake line to the rear wheel, then to the 7 pin outlet.

The pink fuse holder at the battery holds the 30 amp fuse. I later used the liquid tape to paint the holder black. The hot pink was to much for me! :cool:

Motor vehicle Audio equipment Cameras & optics Electronic instrument Computer hardware Hood Vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior Bumper Sleeve Sportswear Audio equipment Cable Wire Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Windscreen wiper Bumper Automotive exterior

121 - 140 of 205 Posts