Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6 AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought our first Kia. It is a 2018 Sorento SX and it had a little over 25000 miles on it. I wonder if there is a way of telling how many gallons of gas it has burned during the life of the engine. My Chevy Silverado pickup has that info but so far I have not found it on this Sorento.

I just downloaded an app on my phone to track fuel use but I have no history from the original owner. I read a thread that indicates that the displayed mpg is about 10% over reality. I will track this. Rather infuriating if that is the case- I hate deceptive people/companies.

Much to learn with this newer vehicle and its greater tech features. We replaced a 2004 Nissan Murano that we bought new. It had a bit over 200,000 miles on it. We liked it a lot but there are many things about this Sorento that I like better.

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
198 Posts
A rough estimate:
25k miles / 22 MPG = 1136 gallons

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6 AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to know if the car displays gallons used. Has anyone found that? If so how do I find that info?

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
297 Posts
I don't think the car will give you accumulated lifetime fuel used.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,308 Posts
I don't think the car will give you accumulated lifetime fuel used.
I've not heard of any car with that feature.

Reactions: wbw

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
686 Posts
I would like to know if the car displays gallons used. Has anyone found that? If so how do I find that info?
What is the point, it would be wrong anyway..... the MPG displays are wrong on almost every car made.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
375 Posts
I've done that as a mental calculation a time or two just to estimate how much money I've spent on gas in the last 30 years. Never have been interested in others' gas / spending.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,308 Posts
My wife and I just bought our first Kia. It is a 2018 Sorento SX and it had a little over 25000 miles on it. I wonder if there is a way of telling how many gallons of gas it has burned during the life of the engine. My Chevy Silverado pickup has that info but so far I have not found it on this Sorento.
You've perked my interest - please post the details of that feature on the Chevy or a photo of the dashboard display.

Reactions: BrianC302

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
575 Posts
Why would you care how many gallons of gas were used prior to you buying the car?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6 AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just filled up the gas tank for the 2nd time. The 1st time was just after we bought so this is the 1st tank that actually had any miles on the car driven by me. The display said 23 mpg but reality was only 19.8 which is 16 percent lower. What a joke. Nice car and all and the mpg that I got was kind of the expected average for a mix of city and highway driving but it really irks me that Kia can't setup the car so that it displays accurate data.

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
297 Posts
I too am disappointed with Kia's overly optimistic mpg display. Our two Kia's show 10% above real world. But we still like our Kia's.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
631 Posts
So I just filled up the gas tank for the 2nd time. The 1st time was just after we bought so this is the 1st tank that actually had any miles on the car driven by me. The display said 23 mpg but reality was only 19.8 which is 16 percent lower. What a joke. Nice car and all and the mpg that I got was kind of the expected average for a mix of city and highway driving but it really irks me that Kia can't setup the car so that it displays accurate data.
I have news for you. The Kia is either the sixth or seventh vehicle I've owned with the MPG readout (Toyota, Honda and Kia) and none of them were accurate and all off about 10%. If they used an actual flow meter, it would be accurate but they use the level in the tank for calculating this figure. If you've ever had the pump click off, wait 2 minutes and then slowly put in more fuel, you'll find the Kia will take well over another half gallon (and I do not recommend doing this more than once in the life of the vehicle) so that's an error factor right there. Plus, an optimistic readout keeps customer complaints down because the vast majority of people accept the number and go happily on their way, it's only OCD people like me who check fuel mileage with every tank.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,589 Posts
Would be interesting to attempt a test using injector timing to measure fuel flow. I know that printers are measuring estimated cartridge life in picoliters based upon firing the heads - not that they're always very accurate, either. I wonder whether injector flow is consistent enough over the life of the injectors to make that even close to a reliable measure of fuel flow?

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
376 Posts
Would be interesting to attempt a test using injector timing to measure fuel flow.
I have toyed with this also, since the PCM is metering fuel in grams per second it seems calculating total fuel weight and the converting to volume is possible with a software routine. One drawback could be processing power, the fueling changes in micro seconds or possibly Milli seconds dependent on (just a wild guess) about 12 sensor readings. IMO it's technically possible to get a Gal or Liter per time frame and a total volume out of the PCM. We can call it a fueling module.
Unfortunately after you get fuel usage 99.99% accurate, then you need to get mileage accurate. That would entail
GPS driven speed and distance on the dash panel. Is this is starting to sound like a commercial airliner ? We may see this in the future as software is a lot cheaper than mechanical sensors and wires, plus processors are getting more powerful.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,589 Posts
Then I suppose there's the issue of fuel density vs. temperature, requiring knowledge of the temperature at the fuel rail at a minimum. Likely to be another 5% or so mass vs. volume variation over normal ambient temperature range over the course of 4 seasons.

Mileage would indeed require GPS distance calculation, but it looks like we're not all that far away from having a majority of vehicles employing GPS. Always seemed farther away (in time) than it's turning out to be.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
376 Posts
Forgot that one, your correct, the PCM measures fuel weight based on a specific fixed temperature, and gasoline varies about 2% heavier at very low temps and up to 4% lighter at high temps. (Ethanol is another topic). W/O a fuel temp sensor it can not adjust for fuel weight variance. It probably leaves that to the O2 sensors. If the fueling ends up being rich or lean the O2's tweak the output to correct for it (Trims). I know my Camaro throws a DTC if trims exceed 20%, otherwise it just corrects the fueling and keeps on going. Sounds like a fuel flow sensor would be easier if there was ever the need and market for that accuracy.
Think we varied a bit off topic here..

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,589 Posts
Yeah, but it was more fun than contemplating how much fuel a previous owner used.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6 AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sure hope I have the permission of you all to be interested in what I am interested in. Should I ask permission first?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
631 Posts
I sure hope I have the permission of you all to be interested in what I am interested in. Should I ask permission first?
I think you're taking it wrong - they were apologizing for creating thread drift on your thread not denigrating your wishes. Whenever fuel usage comes up as a topic, it always turns to the error factor in our readouts and then drifts into a more technical discussion of how it all works and how it could work better.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6 AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom, thanks. Sometimes it is difficult to catch the meaning of some posts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts