Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have an issue with the steering wheel under hard acceleration, seems more pronounced than other front wheel drive suv's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have an AWD or FWD model? I test drove only the AWD model and even with it I could feel some definite torque steer. I have read somewhere that on hard acceleration from a stop, the AWD mechinism is supposed to kick in to some extent so I have to think that with FWD it might be a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my wife has had 2 front wheel drive cars in the last 8 years and i found they all have it.. Some have shudder if you take off hard in the wet too

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
the idea of bringing in the 4x4 on take off is to spread the torque through the drive train ..ie reduce stress on components as well as ensuring that you maintain contact with the road ....particularly useful when towing ...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Certainly the Santa Fe has it, i test drove one a month ago, didn't notice it when i tested the Sorento but i didn't test it as hard ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have an AWD or FWD model? I test drove only the AWD model and even with it I could feel some definite torque steer. I have read somewhere that on hard acceleration from a stop, the AWD mechinism is supposed to kick in to some extent so I have to think that with FWD it might be a problem.
We have front wheel drive ex limited V-6 with #2 premium package, I'm thinking we should have gone for the all wheel drive version.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We have front wheel drive ex limited V-6 with #2 premium package, I'm thinking we should have gone for the all wheel drive version.
Really ?

I choose a 2 wd 6 cyl even I drive in winter belt , I have the
liberty to stay home when the weather is super nasty .

I prefer a bit better acceleration over better grip + the 2wd
is probably less prone to problem when aging .

If I compare my previous endeavor mitsu (6 cyl-2wd-225hp)
the Sorento has 75% less steer under same hard acceleration ,
even with toyo tires on the endie versus original tires on the Sori.

On a test drive with a 4wd Sori 6 cyl , I managed to feel torque
steer when flooring , the front wheels did not spin but the whole
body was floating slightly from side to side .

Enjoy your purchase ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Really ?

I choose a 2 wd 6 cyl even I drive in winter belt , I have the
liberty to stay home when the weather is super nasty .

I prefer a bit better acceleration over better grip + the 2wd
is probably less prone to problem when aging .
Your theory is flawed. It should read, "better grip = better acceleration".

The AWD version is clearly the better choice if you want to drastically reduce torque steer, front wheel hop and tire spin. Having over 275hp on the front wheels alone is never a good thing. During hard throttle applications the weight transfer lifts the front-end reducing grip AND acceleration. Add the fact that the steering is also connected to the same wheels that are trying to fight for forward grip (and lateral if you're turning at the same time) and you can see why FWD applications aren't ideal.

AWD spreads out the power so it's only 70 hp per all 4 wheels as opposed to almost 140 hp on each front wheel with FWD. As for any weight penalty, the AWD is only around 130 lbs heavier which isn't a significant amount when you're dealing with a 3700+ lb vehicle that has this much power and torque.

In the early 90's The Eagle Talon had a 205 hp 4-banger turbo engine available in either AWD or FWD versions. Back then there was almost a 300 lb difference between the two models due to the added weight of the AWD system. The FWD turbo was around 2900 lbs, the AWD 3200 lbs. Even with that much of a weight advantage on a small 4-cyl engine, there was no noticeable difference in 0-60 mph or 1/4 mile times. The only thing that was consistant were the AWD 0-60 times since it could launch everytime without wheel spin. It would just go...fast and straight. The FWD times varied greatly and it was extremely difficult to get the perfect launch all the time, mostly due to severe wheel hop, spin and torque steer. The AWD advantage grew even larger once modifications were done to the stock engine and power increased to well over 300hp. How do I know all this? I had a 92' Eagle Talon Tsi FWD turbo back in the day and my friend had an AWD version. Both of us were pushing over 300hp. Mine was scary for all the wrong reasons. His was scary fast but with a level of control and GRIP that my FWD could obviously never attain.

The moral of this long winded story? When in doubt, spend a little extra and get the AWD! You won't regret it. :cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Larry , basically you are absolutely right .

Altough I would like to test one sori v-6 fwd versus 4 wd on a dry surface ,
same tires , which will be faster 0-60 .

I feel torque steer even 50 to 70 under hard acceleration , part of the
explanation is also my winter tires.

When I tried a 4wd v-6 , summer tires , from start to 60 I noticed also
torque steer , to the point I asked the salesman if I was driving a fwd !
Ok , I was flooring the pedal to the max ....it is proof that this cuv
is a parmount of power ....yeah.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you have torque steer maybe you should roll into the gas. I mean this aint a race car. Its a suv..

AWD is great, but its not needed for everyday driving.

and I know a little bit about TQ, the GTP has over 300 ft.lb
lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts