Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2021 Kia Sportage LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Colorado and are looking for recommendations for a top rack, and a table we can put at the back to eat on for when we go camping for a 2021 Sportage. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,856 Posts
We live in Colorado and are looking for recommendations for a top rack, and a table we can put at the back to eat on for when we go camping for a 2021 Sportage. Thanks in advance!
Having an LX, you don't have any rails, so a top rack is not easy. Go to etrailer.com and look at your options. If you had an EX or SX, you'd have rails and it would be easy. Putting on rails is not an easy task and is expensive. However, there are lots of hitch mounted tables -- just do a search. Here's one from Amazon for example:

Good luck...

Reactions: BDubYa

· Registered
2020 Sportage S
272 Posts
I would look at a salvage yard or similar for OEM roof rails or even rails and cross bars. if you can find them together. Etrailer is the way to go for the accessories though.

It's a different vehicle, but here is someone adding OEM rails to a Honda Odyssey van to give you an idea of what is involved. The Sportage rails are not as complex as thi.

· Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,856 Posts
I would look at a salvage yard or similar for OEM roof rails or even rails and cross bars. if you can find them together. Etrailer is the way to go for the accessories though.

It's a different vehicle, but here is someone adding OEM rails to a Honda Odyssey van to give you an idea of what is involved. The Sportage rails are not as complex as thi.
Be careful about this. The Honda rails are designed to be dealer installed and thus are far easier to install than the Sportage rails because the mounting studs are already there. The Sportage rails are NOT a dealer installed item and will probably require removing the headliner and drilling into the roof. There are aftermarket systems from companies like Yakima and Rhino that attach to the side rails so that's the way to go although it is not a great solution in my opinion. I don't know where you got the idea that the Sportage rails are not as complex, but it is far more difficult to remove the headliner and drill through the roof. Normally, if you have the studs built in, the parts department will sell you the OEM rails (like Honda does). I don't think this exists for the LX in the parts department.

· Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
31 Posts
I agree. I own a 2018 Sportage without roof rails and I have been informed by the dealer that they cannot be retrofitted as they would require chassis modifications that would invalidate warrantee. As rvoll said Kia hasn't designed these to be fitted by the dealer or by anyone else.

· Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,856 Posts
I agree. I own a 2018 Sportage without roof rails and I have been informed by the dealer that they cannot be retrofitted as they would require chassis modifications that would invalidate warrantee. As rvoll said Kia hasn't designed these to be fitted by the dealer or by anyone else.
By "chassis modifications", I think they just mean removing the headliner. There may be some welding also of mounting points on the inside -- but you can get around this with custom bolts and nuts. The problem with using regular nuts and bolts is that if they become loose, you'll have to remove the headliner again to tighten them. If you look at etrailer.com, you'll see there are several solutions for "naked" roofs. They are not cheap, however.

· Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
31 Posts
You could maybe fit threaded rivet inserts without having to remove the headliner. I've tried them on many of my DIY projects, they're very strong and they don't come loose. What worries me though is that this hole has to be very precisely done (just 1mm out and the rail won't bolt on or it'll go out of alignment with the rain gutters) and it'll have to be water tight or else you'll end up with rust and/or even water ingress. Those 2 for me are enough to prevent me from installing the roof rails.

· Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,856 Posts
You could maybe fit threaded rivet inserts without having to remove the headliner. I've tried them on many of my DIY projects, they're very strong and they don't come loose. What worries me though is that this hole has to be very precisely done (just 1mm out and the rail won't bolt on or it'll go out of alignment with the rain gutters) and it'll have to be water tight or else you'll end up with rust and/or even water ingress. Those 2 for me are enough to prevent me from installing the roof rails.
This is something you should not do!!!!! Any metal will weaken with movement. If you have a roof rack and stuff on it, the vibration alone will start loosening the rivets and your whole load will end up on the highway in back of you. Getting them aligned to work with the factory crossbars is almost impossible for the vast majority of us. I have the OEM crossbars and the fit is very tight. Again, don't do this....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.