Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Back in 2009 (my last year as a car salesman) I sold more Honda Fit's at one point than anyone else in Canada. So let's just say - I know that car inside and out :rolleyes:

But tomorrow I'm going to buy a Kia Rio5 SX w/Navi and not the Fit Sport *gasp* :eek:
Why? Hard to believe myself, but after researching, inspecting and test driving the hell out of the Rio - it outshines the top rated Fit in nearly every area.

Here's a list of differences that I've found so far:

Mechanical
More Horsepower (+21)
More Torque (+17)
Better Fuel Economy (EPA only... real world?)
4 Wheel Disc Brakes (+ front ventilated)
Active ECO System
Hill Assist Control
Speed Sensitive Steering
Steptronic 6-Speed Automatic
Passes Tougher European Crash Safety Standards

Style Points
17" Wheels (plus nicer design)
Better Looking/Feeling Interior
Better Looking Exterior
Brighter/Nicer Gauge & Dash Lighting
Projector Headlights
LED Positioning Lights
LED Tail Lights
Power Folding Side Mirrors
Mirror LED Turn Signals

Comfort & Convenience
Power Sunroof
Leather Interior w/Heated Seats
Navigation System w/7" Touch Screen
Automatic Climate Control w/Ionizer
Push Button Start
Rearview Backup Camera
Cooling Glove Box
Heated Steering Wheel
Soft Touch Dash Materials
Supervision Instrument Cluster
Seat Height Adjustment
Smart Key (Compact Switchblade Style)
Sirius Sat Radio
Rain Sensing, Variable Int Front & Rear Wipers
Automatic Headlights
Engine Temp Guage
Steering Wheel Audio Controls
Tilting Front Headrests
External Temperature Gauge
Overhead Lighting Console
Automatic Defog System
Recessed area for Phone (near jacks)
Extra 12v Outlet

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And it doesn't stop there:

There are a bunch of things that the Rio SX has as standard equipment that you have to buy as an accessory with the Fit:

Included Accessories
Sliding Center Armrest w/Storage
Splash Guards
Cargo Cover
Cargo Tray
Cargo Net
Floor Mats
Dual Chrome Exhaust Tips
Metal Sport Pedals

That's about $1342 (Can $, including install) worth of Honda OEM accessories! Yes, you could probably buy the stuff online/ebay for about half that though - if you do a bunch of searching and install it all yourself. But still.

And to top it off, it also has the following financial benefits:

Financial
Lower Lease & Finance Rates
$500 Incentive
Lower Residual (if you buy it out afterwards)
5yr/100k B-to-B 5yr Warranty
5yr Roadside Assistance

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Nice!!!You make me want to go back and buy another one!:lol:
I understand why you were the top salesmen!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To be fair, there are some things that the Honda has over the Rio - but it's not enough (in my opinion) to justify buying it instead.

Power-wise, I felt the Fit had an edge - even though it has less hp. It definitely a more "sporty" drive, point and shoot kind of feeling. I really preferred darting around the Fit in city traffic. But the difference wasn't huge, that's for sure. And if you like a softer ride (which many of us do), the Rio wins instead, especially for noise on the highway.

The Fits back "magic seat" is really great, and very useful. And there's more rear/cargo headroom too (about 8" by my measuring tape). For my typical use, this didn't matter whatsoever.

And I'm sure the Fit will kill the Rio in resale value - especially if it's anything like the last generation. But I do expect that resale will be MUCH better with this new version of the Rio. And Kia seems poised as a true up-and-comer - much like Honda was back in the 80's. I'm not selling this thing until it's dead anyway.

And the same goes for reliability. I know the Honda Fit is nearly bulletproof in that regard. But Kia does have that great warranty to fall back on if it needs it. Having seen many a used Kia come through our lot, I must admit - I was never impressed. There were always minor problems (key fobs, switch gear, handles, knobs) and major ones too (transmissions, engine lights etc). But... this was a few years ago, and so we're talking used Kia's cira 2004/5/6. My old manager says that used Kia's always fail their safety inspections... but I'd take that with a grain of salt (as he knew I was looking at a new Kia)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh... and I almost forgot. All this extra goodness comes at a price that, due to incentives, and my trade-in value, is within $500 of the Fit Sport. And with the better rates, it's Lease payment comes out cheaper! :eek::eek::eek:

Really?!? How could I NOT buy this car??? I'm so impressed, amazed actually - that Kia can offer so much for so little. Time will tell if I've made the right decision, but on a daily basis, the Rio SX is obviously much more car than the Honda Fit Sport. There... can't believe I just said that.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
RoguePC Great presentation & I agree you are a very good salesperson.Great attention to detail & facts. I am a retired (last year) 31 year veteran of European Car Sales (the last 16 with Mercedes-Benz) & I drove & analyzed EVERY car in the Rio's class & even up to the Cruze & Subaru Impreza . I also decided the RIO SX is better value than anything out there. I am happy with the fuel economy Too. Enjoy your car! Yesterday the PBS TV Show Motorweek picked the RIO as best small car! Another confirmation we bought the right car.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
at my local dealer, they got a new salesman late last year. He had been with the local Honda dealership for 12 years, but felt that the future was with KIA, he just didn't feel Honda was in the forefront anymore like they used too.
I suppose there could be other factors too, but I remember him at the Honda dealership back in 2007 when we were looking at a '08 CR-V, he was good and not pushy. However, we purchased a KIA Rondo instead, just couldn't justify the difference with the features in the Rondo that would require a higher model in the CR-V and with taxes would have been about $11,000 more with comparable features. The CR-V did have AWD at that price but I had no need of that. Both vehicles were almost identical in size too.

So with four years great experience with the Rondo, I stuck with KIA and traded it in on my 2012 Soul.

To compare earlier KIA's with the new generation that have had the Peter Schreyer makeover - there is no comparison, its like night and day difference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
at my local dealer, they got a new salesman late last year. He had been with the local Honda dealership for 12 years, but felt that the future was with KIA, he just didn't feel Honda was in the forefront anymore like they used too.
I suppose there could be other factors too, but I remember him at the Honda dealership back in 2007 when we were looking at a '08 CR-V, he was good and not pushy. However, we purchased a KIA Rondo instead, just couldn't justify the difference with the features in the Rondo that would require a higher model in the CR-V and with taxes would have been about $11,000 more with comparable features. The CR-V did have AWD at that price but I had no need of that. Both vehicles were almost identical in size too.

So with four years great experience with the Rondo, I stuck with KIA and traded it in on my 2012 Soul.

To compare earlier KIA's with the new generation that have had the Peter Schreyer makeover - there is no comparison, its like night and day difference.
I've heard this before! Most folks wouldn't know this unless they worked at the KIA Georgia plant. The bulk of our lead managers are from Mercedes. Followed by Toyota, BMW and Honda. All of them said something similar.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi. You're all very comforting cause when I bought my Rio EX Sedan UVO, all and I mean all of my friends made a sad face while going for : "Kia, are you crazy?" "They build crap. Problems you want? Problems you'll have" and the biggest argument of them all "Quality construction is even below that of American cars". I believe what you say in your messages but my experience, at least here in Monréal, is that Kia still suffers from its bad reputation of years ago. Years of Sefia, I mean. Right now, I'm not disappointed with my Rio. I find some strange construction designs like the very low passenger seat and the incredible low-fi sound of the UVO but that's about it. I think Kia should throw a huge publicity campaign to straight things out like "We build quality. We are the new Kia". I'm most happy with my choice and I don't regret I didn't go the Accent or the Fiesta or even the Elantra that I wanted so much in the beginning.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi. You're all very comforting cause when I bought my Rio EX Sedan UVO, all and I mean all of my friends made a sad face while going for : "Kia, are you crazy?" "They build crap. Problems you want? Problems you'll have" and the biggest argument of them all "Quality construction is even below that of American cars". I believe what you say in your messages but my experience, at least here in Monréal, is that Kia still suffers from its bad reputation of years ago. Years of Sefia, I mean. Right now, I'm not disappointed with my Rio. I find some strange construction designs like the very low passenger seat and the incredible low-fi sound of the UVO but that's about it. I think Kia should throw a huge publicity campaign to straight things out like "We build quality. We are the new Kia". I'm most happy with my choice and I don't regret I didn't go the Accent or the Fiesta or even the Elantra that I wanted so much in the beginning.

LOL...I've heard it as well. I actually said it myself until I had the chance to look from the inside out. When I shopped for my latest vehicle. I had been to just about every maker's lot in the area. The KIA dealership was the last one I stopped at over a 3 day period. It is also where I bought my vehicle.

Not sure how it is in Montreal. Here we are inundated with KIA/Hyundia commercials on the radio and TV. I see and hear more KIA commercials than from any other maker.

The Elantra is a sharp ride! I don't blame you or anyone else for wanting one. Shoot I wanted one too! The new Ford Focus is a drastic change from the old. I had so much bad luck with them in the past. I basically took Ford off the list of cars I would own again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i do not believe the canadian SX's come with paddle shifters.. mine doesn't have them..
Is yours a 2013? It would be good to know as I only spotted the feature at this website:
Here's the link. Perhaps this is US-only (like the Fit)?

And I agree with other posters here, the quality of Honda has gone down in recent years, especially in regards to design, interior materials and equipment levels. It doesn't mean they have bad cars, by any means - but they just aren't keeping pace with a surging industry.

And perception of Kia?
Kia still suffers from its bad reputation of years ago
... totally. When I tell anyone I'm buying a Kia, they look at me like Benji (head half-cocked... curious) - then proceed to tell me I'm crazy. :lol: But then again, Hyundai had that same problem not too long ago... and they're the same company!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
the Fit has the fold flat rear seats. which I really really really wish the Rio had. Come on Kia, my 1994 Subaru had fold flat seats. Yes, the seat bottom came forward and the seat back folded down flat. Kia added so many features but forgot to add this one. I can live with it. Other than this the Kia is better in just about every way. I drove the Fit too, and to get what i wanted with it i would have been spending more than i wanted to

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Is yours a 2013? It would be good to know as I only spotted the feature at this website:
Here's the link. Perhaps this is US-only (like the Fit)?
Yeah I think Canadian models don't get the paddle shifters. But we get heated steering wheel and the choice of manual transmission in the SX Hatch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I think Canadian models don't get the paddle shifters. But we get heated steering wheel and the choice of manual transmission in the SX Hatch.
Thanks for the correct info... edited the list.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Come on Kia, my 1994 Subaru had fold flat seats. Yes, the seat bottom came forward and the seat back folded down flat.
The awkward moment when... Heh.

My '07 Rio Hatch had this.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Yes they're brilliant cars, but it still annoys me the features you guys get that we don't here in Australia.. the only reason i can think of other than us getting shafted as usual due to buying power/population size here is it may be a level playing-field type ruling from one of our consumer bodies, since the Rio just annihilates everything else in its class here in bang-for-buck. I mean it already does with our cut-down version, but things we miss are heated seats/steering, sat/nav/Nuvi, reverse camera, 5 door version with push button/leather/climate, eco mode, voice commands etc. Yet we pay more for this version, and our dollar is higher at the moment.

Either way they're a great car and nothing comes close even to our version, but as far as being zippy is concerned, our 6M 3 door is very nimble, and while mildly doughy in first gear, hammers in second.

And i've gotta just say it, OP you sure have some tickets on yourself re: the title.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And i've gotta just say it, OP you sure have some tickets on yourself re: the title
"tickets"? lol. Must be an Australian saying... never heard that one before. Anyway, I'm guessing you mean that I'm trying to brag about myself or something? Good point. But in reality, I just thought I had an interesting perspective. As I've sold Honda Fits - and lots of them, I simply know that car inside and out, top to bottom, that's all.

And being that the Fit is the benchmark in this class, it truly surprised the hell out of me that I even contemplated buying a Kia, let alone actually purchase one. And I'm glad I don't sell cars anymore, cause with this fantastic little Kia, it's now become much much tougher to defend the Honda.

Of note, many of us wish we had the 3-door here on our shores... so don't feel too bad about missing out on some features - we miss out on a whole body style! Cheers mate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts