Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 mt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2012 rio5 5 speed m/t 1.6 I top ended her and she went 116 mph in 6th gear.It was very smooth.The tach was 4900 rpm.I think she might have hit 120 mph if I stayed in 5th gear. Also on gas mileage I took a small trip today I had 4 adults in the cabin and trunk full of pop n stuff. It was 55 mph up to 80 mph on hilly and flat terrain ran the air conditioner half the time I filled her up drove 274 miles used 6.9 gallons of fuel = 39.7 mph I have about 6000 miles on her too, my all around average has been 34.5 mph on tank fill ups manually calculated here in michigan

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I have the 2012 Rio 5 speed m/t 1.6 I top ended her and she went 116 mph in 6th gear. It was very smooth. The tach was 4900 rpm.I think she might have hit 120 mph if I stayed in 5th gear.
Looks like you really do have 6 gears. Not uncommon for maximum speed to be achieved in 5th in a car like this.

e.g. Forte 6-Speed auto would give top speed of maybe 120 MPH at 5300 RPM in 5th, but 6th would run out of puff at around 100 MPH (3200 RPM). It's all about the gearing. Highest practical speed is 100 MPH, or about 6000 RPM in 4th; progress after that would be leisurely.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Most new cars will also have cut off limits too that will cut fuel delivery to the engine. It may be set lower in 6th gear than in other gears to remove temptation and to have 6th as more cruising than how 2nd is set out with its broad run through the power band.

With top speed runs its all about shifting. Shifting too early and you miss the start of your peak torque spread, shfiting too late and you drop just outside your peak torque zone (sluggish acceleration/hesitation).

Our peak torque zone starts from around 2000rpm, is at its best at around 47000 starts to taper off mid to late 5000's. If you shift with keeping this in mind you can get good return as your keeping the car in its best torque range.

Little Kia has a strong torque spread that starts early. BMW are another one that build their cars to this strength too. Its good mating of gearbox/engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts