Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Crosstrek Limited w/ Nav/Sunroof in Orange
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this past week that when I stepped on the accelerator, it hesitated for a second, then explosively took off, but the car made a ton of smoke out of the exhaust that looked like it left behind a smoke screen.

I know the air filter is overdue for changing, but this seems really abnormal. Also, the fuel gauge looked like it dropped by a noticeable amount.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
turbo cars always go pig rich under full throttle, it's not crazy thick black smoke like old diesel engines is it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried to repeat it to see if it ever does it again, and it has not. I don't know - maybe it wasn't even my car that made the smoke. :lol:

As for the fuel drop, probably because it launched like the space shuttle. :lol:

I'll keep an eye on it, as I am tired of wasting fuel. ;)

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
If its a diesel car and its white smoke its a injector not spraying correctly, get some additive in the tank quickly to clean injectors

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
The smoke under full throttle is normal. I have datalogged my SX and it runs 10.7:1 A/F under full throttle which is pig rich, hence the smoke.

·
Registered
995 Posts
White smoke usually means an engine failure of some kind, assuming the engine was completely warmed up and this wasn't water vapor on a cold day. White oil smoke is actually worse than blue oil smoke because it usually means larger quantities of oil getting into the combustion chambers. Since it's turbo-charged, I would immediately suspect the seals in the turbine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
White smoke usually means an engine failure of some kind, assuming the engine was completely warmed up and this wasn't water vapor on a cold day. White oil smoke is actually worse than blue oil smoke because it usually means larger quantities of oil getting into the combustion chambers. Since it's turbo-charged, I would immediately suspect the seals in the turbine.
Why no check engine lights? It seems to run fine. :huh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Soul Smoke

I noticed this past week that when I stepped on the accelerator, it hesitated for a second, then explosively took off, but the car made a ton of smoke out of the exhaust that looked like it left behind a smoke screen.

I know the air filter is overdue for changing, but this seems really abnormal. Also, the fuel gauge looked like it dropped by a noticeable amount.

Any ideas?
just had the same thing happen to us. We shut the car off right away and had it towed to the dealership. They went over the whole car and did not find a thing. All levels good and no computer code warnings.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
You guys must have missed my post. Black smoke under full throttle in the SX at the least is FINE. Modern turbo cars are designed to run very rich under full throttle to keep the engine running well. If they didn't dump the fuel in like they do, the engine could run lean and get very hot. Most people tune turbo cars to an ideal 12:1 Air to Fuel ratio, ours run under 11 to 1 air to fuel under full throttle from my experiments, which is more rich.

My last car, 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, a Turbocharged direct injection 2.0L turbo much like the Sportage had black smoke from the exhaust when cold started, and under full throttle, and when using the "no lift shift" feature. The engine ran problem free for 50,000km's before I traded it off, many of those miles were under heavy acceleration or racing.

It's FINE.

·
Registered
995 Posts
White smoke as the OP stated is oil smoke and it is serious. Most likely it is the seal on the turbine bearing leaking oil which is sucked into the cylinders. It will not 'get well' by itself and most likely they will have to replace the turbo charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
white smoke after heavy acceleration

I have a 2012 Kia Soul and I also had a huge cloud of white smoke come out of my car today. Was traveling about 30mph when I wanted to get around a car so I accelerated pretty hard, didn't floor it but maybe close. I looked back and saw a huge cloud of smoke and the firsat thing I thought was I blew something. I only had to drive about 2 more blocks back to work so I continued on. Got out and left the car in idle and thee was a little smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Verified nothing in the engine compartment, no strange noise from engine either. Will drive home tonight and see what happens.

I see several people have experienced this "problem" but haven't heard of any answers.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Keep an eye on your oil level and watch for repeats of the oil smoke. If it keeps happening, expect the oil level to drop over time. Is it a turbo?

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
232 Posts
As mentioned, white smoke is oil

finding its way into the induction path. If the turbo is the culprit, I'd think that it would probably be the compressor shaft seal. Another thought, as all of the residual blow by oil is fed back into the induction plumbing to be burned I'd think that a car with some mileage on it could possibly end up with some oil collecting in some low spots in the induction path that might be shoved along with the velocity of hi boost conditions. I would suggest at least adding an oil/air separator to your pcv line and emptying it as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts