Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals

Just to let you all know taht the tests done by the Spanish guys seem to have been confirmed by independant tests in the USA.

Basically if you have the TOD system (4WD button has only "auto" and "low ratio" on it) you need to be aware that under about 4 mph (ie crawling down a slippery hill) you DO NOT HAVE 4WD AT ALL, only rear wheel drive. So, if you're using your TOD Sorento in difficult or dangerous off-road terrain BE AWARE !!

In Spain Hyundai (the Terracan has the same system) are fitting a "fix kit" consisting of a 4WD lock button for all that ask and for free.

I believe that all TOD owners world wide should kick up a ruckus until Kia do likewise. I am doing that in New Zealand.

Honestly folks this could be extremely dangerous off-road for the unwary and my personal opinion is that all TOD Sorentos should be recalled and fixed free of charge.

This is assuming of course that the tests that have been done in Spain and now the USA are repeatable and proved valid.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Derek, I am very happy that someone in Kia admit the problem.
For me, it is somewhat strange that only very few people is worried about this
important matter. Could you tell us which is the source of your news from USA?

Saludos.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

It was KiaMech (see www.sorentosite.com, off road forum, TOD thread) who did the American tests at my request. I also can't believe that nobody is worried about this. I honestly feel that Kia should have to recall ALL TOD models and modify them free of charge. I can only assume that people aren't actually using their 4WD for 4WD'ing off road, nothing else makes sense, they should be horrified but they're not.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again

Just realised that KiaMech is on this site too !!

Cheers

Derek

:banana:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Hi Derek,

I agree with you, this issue is of real concern.
I often travel steep and slippery tracks on my fishing trips and always needed to be engaged in 4WD low in my previous vehicle (Nissan) in these situations.
I have only done about three trips in the Sorento so far and fortunately have not had any incidents considering I assumed that I was locked in 4WD
It is a real worry for future trips, especially in wet conditions.

Regards
Malcolm (Tech)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Malcolm

Do me a favour and have a real moan to your dealer please, taht will mean at least two Kiwi's are in their face over this. I'm not going to rest until they do something for me, frankly I'm furious over this issue and feel I've been duped by Kia into believing the Sorento is a "real" 4WD when that isn't the case !! I too had a Nissan (Mistral) before and that was obviously in 4WD low ratio when you wanted it to be.

Cheers

Derek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts