Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

New here, but I've been trying to keep my '04 Sorento road worthy. I know this systems gets a bazillion posts from the DIY crowd, and I'm not just blind posting, I've done some research on my problem. I just rebuilt the TOD t-case, mostly due to a busted wave spring. Replaced that and the clutch pack. Got the case reinstalled, and guess what? It still 'bangs'. I'm still learning what I can about this TOD system, but what appears to be happening is the armature is not actuating properly. If the TCCS fuse is inplace, it's not applying the correct (or any?) voltage to the clutch pack. I pulled the fuse, no more banging, but also no AWD.

After some investigating, it's likely the contoller module. So, primary question I have is: where the heck is it? I have some breakdown drawings from KIA, but simply put, I don't know where to physically find the control modules for the TOD. I think one is under the front passenger floor/drivetrain hump? The other appears to be up under the dash. No idea how to take apart only what I need to. I've got an electrical background, and understand I can't just slap any ole' module in, so I'd like to find the PN's of these controllers in my rig. I've put some serious offroad miles on this thing, and I want it back 'right'. It's incredibly capable where I've needed it.

Advice, and input from those of you who've t-shot this system, and ripped apart the dash and floor, is much appreciated. Pics would be super helpful.

It's been parked and now I've got a noisy lifter on #2, and a misfire. Yay. It runs, I'll troubleshoot that later, when I'm in the mood to pull a fuel rail. Rainy season will be here soon, and I'd like my on demand AWD back :)

TIA
Best,
Todd in OR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is your tire wear?
Where did you measure voltage to clutch pack?

Replacement of the control unit would in my experience be a very rare occurence. (Anyway, it's ON the transmission tunnel, under the carpet, passenger side.)
Prior to replacing the t-case, tire wear was very even. A bit of outer shoulder wear on the last set of tires, in front. I was putting nearly 1000 miles a week on the rig, so it was well maintained. It had been sitting for several months, after the t-case failed, and I've just started to bring it back online.

I haven't put a meter to anything, yet. I didn't anticipate I'd need to. The drawings I have show both plugs on the top of the T-case. In my case I think one is black and one is white (on the t-case). I was hoping to find the source of the outputs to those plugs and test from there.

I'll add, this is actually the second transfer case I've put in. The unit that was in the truck on purchase went about 40K but failed in a very steep, very slow downward crawl. So steep, the property owner sent his kid up on a dirt bike to make sure I made it down. That was my first experience with the 'banging' I'm describing. Pulled the TCCS fuse and got it home. Got another t-case, installed, no more noise, AWD restored. For about 25K. When it failed, i lost all movement, it behaved very much like a dropped driveshaft. Ran fine, wouldn't move, in any configuration. This second unit is the one I've rebuilt, I've got the 'original' here as well. On investigation, it is not the original either, but when I bought the rig it worked very, very well. No issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
gee6
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing