Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends

It's been very, very hot and humid down here in Florida and summer isn't here yet, today was 96 degrees all day, I've been needing to keep the Sorento running with the AC on when I pickup my kids from school especially if my 3 year old is in the back with me. Shutting off the car isn't an option because there's almost no breeze out and the inside of the car gets really uncomfortable really quick.

I'm going to be honest and say this, I've always been a big idler, i can sit for hours with the ac on waiting for the next task or doing field reports in the comfort of my car.

What's your recommendations?

What about you guys? Anyone else here guilty of being a big idler like me?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad idea to do long idling
I agree, im just not sure what else to do here. Believe me when i tell you, humidity eats you alive down here. Its bad without AC. Not sure what to do

Btw: What do you consider to be long idling?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX - AWD
3 Posts
I also live in Florida.

Honestly there is no other choice. I know how it is and its only going to get worse. Even rolling every window down doesn't help at all.

When lunch time comes I'm usually in my Sorento, sun shade up and idling in the AC.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Below are some thoughts on the subject, I prefer Ray Magliozzi's (Car Talk), find a Starbucks! Don't have to drink coffee, you can just go there and sit!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below are some thoughts on the subject, I prefer Ray Magliozzi's (Car Talk), find a Starbucks! Don't have to drink coffee, you can just go there and sit!

Thank you,

I noticed the first 2 articles talk about "no harm" while the 3rd says "don't you dare idle".

This is confusing, i think being a GDI engine makes idling for us more of an issue than traditional engines.

@Pretender and @ron1004 discussed it briefly in another thread and brought the idling issue to my attention, I did pull a report on google by a Chinese research firm confirming the affect of extended idling on a GDI engine.. there were actually multiple studies, not just the one, so I can agree with the fact that it could be adding more deposits into our valves creating a future build-up issue. I'm just not sure what to do in my case or the case of the GDI drivers in hot areas. You can't survive this heat without AC, at least not when you're a superfat dad!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Confusing, yes, that's why I included both view points, you'll have to make the call but I think generally speaking for short periods it shouldn't be much of a problem. But, what's a short period? Again you're call but I can completely understand your concern down there. That's why we plan our trips down to the Stuart/Palm City area during the winter (about now or before!) and never during the summer! Good luck!

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White
199 Posts
Hey Tim, sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. You've got to run the engine for the air con., but it's probably not doing the engine any good. Will there be noticeable effects on the engine, who knows for sure. But you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Good luck. Of course you could always move to some place colder :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tim, sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. You've got to run the engine for the air con., but it's probably not doing the engine any good. Will there be noticeable effects on the engine, who knows for sure. But you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Good luck. Of course you could always move to some place colder :)
Morning Wheels,

Yes, really hard to shut off the AC for more than 5 minutes, like you said, I guess we'll have to wait and see (fingers crossed no issues)

I'd love to move somewhere cooler, my wife and I care for my elderly parents who have no one else here to keep an eye on them and their health issues. cold weather doesn't work well with their body so they're forced to stay here.

Believe me, I'd go to Alaska if circumstances were different lol

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
536 Posts
I say keep doing what you're doing. Sure, it's not the best thing to idle for long periods, but this comes down to practicality and environment.

When you idle, the primary issue is that the car will run slightly richer.. even after it's warmed up. The computer always errs toward the rich end when the vacuum is low. So excessive idling will cause your plugs/valves/cylinders/etc. to get caked with carbon faster than they normally would otherwise. However, that's completely treatable and manageable. Plus this is a GDI, so you're going to be doing some of that treatment anyway if you want to keep the car for a long time.

Also, this is all happening in 90+ degree heat. That actually helps slow the carbon buildup, because you are running it slightly hotter at idle than I would be up here in Boston. But of course, that means you're more exposed to weaknesses in the cooling system. Running hotter means slightly more pressure inside the system. But practically, these seems to be well-made, and I don't hear lots of complaints about coolant leaks with Sorentos.

For the environment/kid's future sake though, maybe try cutting it down a tad ;) (I say that knowing there's no way I could not run the AC sitting in Florida heat lol).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plus this is a GDI, so you're going to be doing some of that treatment anyway if you want to keep the car for a long time.
Thanks for your message. Makes perfect sense

Allow me to ask you, how do you personally go about treating the GDI carbon build-up? DYI sprays like CRC? Or other methods?

Thank you

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
536 Posts
Thanks for your message. Makes perfect sense

Allow me to ask you, how do you personally go about treating the GDI carbon build-up? DYI sprays like CRC? Or other methods?

Thank you
Yeah, I use CRC every 10k miles. I also wipe the area around the throttle plate when I do that treatment. Not much to it.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
The main issue with idling, obviously, is that it's really bad for the environment.

Prolonged idling can also increase fuel dilution of the motor oil - especially in a GDi engine.

To find out if excessive fuel dilution is an issue with your particular GDi engine, exacerbated by prolonged idling, I strongly recommend you take a sample of your oil on your next drain and send it away to be analyzed. Having your motor oil analysed will help in knowing if this prolonged idling is causing any issues (excessive fuel dilution, increased wear and contaminants, etc.)

There are a number of good labs out there who offer Oil Analysis services (I've used a few different ones), but the one I recommend (especially to test for fuel in the oil) is Oil Analyzers Inc. (POLARIS Labs).

You can purchase/order an Oil Analysis Test Kit >HERE< You then take a sample of your oil at your next oil change, fill in all the required info, and then mail it out to Oil Analyzers' labs.

Note: If you want accurate fuel dilution test results, I would avoid using Blackstone Labs for this particular testing as the test they use (the "Cleveland Open Cup Flash Point" test - ASTM D92) is an outdated low-tech method for testing for fuel in the oil and is unfortunately not very accurate.

The most accurate analytical method for identifying and quantifying fuel (and other substances) in motor oil is called "Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS)". That is the method used by Oil Analyzers Inc.

Now fuel dilution will also drive down the viscosity and the flash point of the oil, so these are also key things to look for on an Oil Analysis report when trying to determine the accuracy of what you are seeing as a cited fuel dilution percentage figure.

Richard

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main issue with idling, obviously, is that it's really bad for the environment.

Prolonged idling can also increase fuel dilution of the motor oil - especially in a GDi engine.

To find out if excessive fuel dilution is an issue with your particular GDi engine, exacerbate by prolonged idling, I strongly recommend you take a sample of your oil on your next drain and send it away to be analyzed. Having your motor oil analysed will help in knowing if this prolonged idling is causing any issues (excessive fuel dilution, increased wear and contaminants, etc.)

There are a number of good labs out there who offer Oil Analysis services (I've used a few different ones), but the one I recommend (especially to test for fuel in the oil) is Oil Analyzers Inc. (POLARIS Labs).

You can purchase/order an Oil Analysis Test Kit >HERE< You then take a sample of your oil at your next oil change, fill in all the required info, and then mail it out to Oil Analyzers' labs.

Note: If you want accurate fuel dilution test results, I would avoid using Blackstone Labs for this particular testing as the test they use (the "Cleveland Open Cup Flash Point" test - ASTM D92) is an outdated low-tech method for testing for fuel in the oil and is unfortunately not very accurate.

The most accurate analytical method for identifying and quantifying fuel (and other substances) in the motor oil is called "Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS)". That is the method used by Oil Analyzers Inc.

Now fuel dilution will also drive down the viscosity and the flash point of the oil, so these are also key things to look for on an Oil Analysis report when trying to determine the accuracy of what you are seeing as a cited fuel dilution percentage figure.

Richard
Your knowledge of the subject matter is always impressive sir. Thank you for your input as always

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
452 Posts
Millions of people idle for extended periods every day on the freeways of Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and many other major metropolitan areas that are overly congested and allow users to only creep to work. Talk to anyone who has one of the cars that does stop/start at idle and they'll tell you they have to disable it in traffic or roast/freeze to death because of these extended idling periods. Did it for many years when we lived in the DC area.

You've got to remain comfortable regardless of the "cost". Obviously try to minimize it by not arriving overly early but for heaven's sake, don't stress out the three year old by creating an oven in your car because you might be worried about some extra carbon deposits, wasting gas or polluting the environment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Millions of people idle for extended periods every day on the freeways of Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and many other major metropolitan areas that are overly congested and allow users to only creep to work. Talk to anyone who has one of the cars that does stop/start at idle and they'll tell you they have to disable it in traffic or roast/freeze to death because of these extended idling periods. Did it for many years when we lived in the DC area.

You've got to remain comfortable regardless of the "cost". Obviously try to minimize it by not arriving overly early but for heaven's sake, don't stress out the three year old by creating an oven in your car because you might be worried about some extra carbon deposits, wasting gas or polluting the environment.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you idle, the primary issue is that the car will run slightly richer.. even after it's warmed up. The computer always errs toward the rich end when the vacuum is low. So excessive idling will cause your plugs/valves/cylinders/etc. to get caked with carbon faster than they normally would otherwise. However, that's completely treatable and manageable. Plus this is a GDI, so you're going to be doing some of that treatment anyway if you want to keep the car for a long time.
The computer does enrich the mixture under low vacuum conditions, but that's at wide open throttle, or under heavy load. At idle, the vacuum is always high. I know of no reason why the computer would adjust mixture to run rich at idle (and waste fuel) as there's no benefit to that at low RPM / no load situation. Perhaps the combustion is not at peak efficiency which could create deposits, but it's not due to a commanded rich mixture.

I agree with having an oil analysis done. These are inexpensive and provide valuable information you can use to determine if the idling is doing anything detrimental. I doubt it is.

When I drive across country in the wintertime, I typically stop at rest areas at night when tired and sleep for a couple hours with the engine idling. Have done this with more than a few vehicles, never any issues. My only concern has been the potential to put my foot on the gas after I've fallen asleep, luckily that's never happened yet!

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
Idling a car is a much bigger issue in freezing temps... and yes, the engine does run richer under those conditions.

Idling your car in the cold not only wastes fuel, but it's also stripping oil from critical components that help your engine run, namely the cylinders and pistons.

When it's cold outside, gasoline is less likely to evaporate. Your car compensates for this initially by adding more gasoline to the air-vapor mixture. That's where the problem begins because you're actually putting extra fuel into the combustion chamber to make it burn and some of it will get onto the cylinder walls. Since gasoline is an outstanding solvent and it can actually wash oil off the walls, which, over time, will have a detrimental effect on the lubrication and life of piston rings and cylinder liners.

However, this primarily happens when the gasoline is cold. Once your engine warms up (to about 40'F or so), the car runs at normal fuel-consumption rates.

Also note that idling in freezing temps isn't really going to get the engine up to operating temperature, and until that happens the little brain box on the engine is going to keep sending rich-fuel mixture to the cylinders so that it can ensure that enough is evaporated for a consistent combustion event. In fact, your car will be at least 12% less efficient at burning fuel when it's cold, according to the Environmental Protection Agency and the Energy Department.

Now that said, all this doesn't really apply directly to the OP's situation... ;)

And yes, the OP should get an Oil Analysis done.

:)

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
536 Posts
The computer does enrich the mixture under low vacuum conditions, but that's at wide open throttle, or under heavy load. At idle, the vacuum is always high. I know of no reason why the computer would adjust mixture to run rich at idle (and waste fuel) as there's no benefit to that at low RPM / no load situation. Perhaps the combustion is not at peak efficiency which could create deposits, but it's not due to a commanded rich mixture.
oops.. meant the pressure is low (not the vacuum). But I wasn't referring to the fuel enrichment that happens when you open the throttle quickly (for example). I'm just saying this is an electronic throttle body.. so there's no mechanical influence at idle.. it's just the computer telling the throttle plate to open a certain amount. But it will err to the slightly richer side because it's safer to run slightly rich than it is to run too lean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts