Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Nokian WRG3 tires on January 10, 2017 at 194299km (12732miles) from KalTire. Yesterday, when my Sorento was in for service it was noticed that I had separation on all four, severe on the rears & lesser on the fronts. The mileage was 238,808km (148388 miles).

There is plenty of warranty left on these tires. My challenge is the tires were purchased in Canada & I am currently snowbirding in Arizona. I'll contact my Canadian dealer this morning to see if they can help me out with getting a warranty rebate with Discount Tire.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: On Tuesday (20th) I had Discount Tire (Nokian dealer) check the tires & they indicated it was Cupping & not separation. They recommended that I do a tire rotation.
Yesterday (22nd) I had them do the tire rotation. On the way home, 25 miles, the amount of humming was much less. When I return to Alberta I'll have a few words with my local tire dealer.:|

BTW: I would appreciate if some one would give my an education of tire cupping. Not too technical please.:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Was just going to ask what you meant by "separation". Cupping is a term used for a wear pattern of the tire that looks like someone has "scooped" out sections of tread in a pattern around the the diameter of the tire. AWD/ 4WD are known to exhibit this pattern and is why tire rotation is so important to be done. It can also be caused by worn out struts/shocks and any number of suspension wear concerns. A good tech can even determine if the tires inner cord belts has shifted/broken and show this type of pattern.
Hope this was not TOO TECHNICAL...:)

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
Was just going to ask what you meant by "separation". Cupping is a term used for a wear pattern of the tire that looks like someone has "scooped" out sections of tread in a pattern around the the diameter of the tire. AWD/ 4WD are known to exhibit this pattern and is why tire rotation is so important to be done. It can also be caused by worn out struts/shocks and any number of suspension wear concerns. A good tech can even determine if the tires inner cord belts has shifted/broken and show this type of pattern.
Would be good to see pictures.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Would be good to see pictures.
LOL...I spent most of my life as an auto tech, and NOT a computer geek(Commodore 64 came out while I had graduated high school already). I struggle to post pic's much less do links from other sources. BUT both our responses in this thread are on the same track! Unless the OP has had struts/shocks replaced already, by mileage posted is probably way overdue.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
LOL...I spent most of my life as an auto tech, and NOT a computer geek(Commodore 64 came out while I had graduated high school already). I struggle to post pic's much less do links from other sources. BUT both our responses in this thread are on the same track! Unless the OP has had struts/shocks replaced already, by mileage posted is probably way overdue.:)
NO, I meant the OP to post pics so that we can understand his problem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this... not too technical for me the :nerd: I replaced the shocks & struts last February at 235,520km (146,345m).

Discount Tire said that the cupping was a result of the tires being All-Weather (almost as rugged as Snow Tires) and that using them in Arizona's hot weather is the most probable cause of the cupping.

When I return to Alberta mid-April I'll bring the vehicle to the tire dealer where I had purchased them to see what these guys say. Not that I fully trust them.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
So with roughly 21,000 miles,you just had the tires rotated? With an AWD or 4wd, they should be rotated at least every 8 - 10 thousand miles. But glad to hear with as many miles you have on yours (and sounds like good service from it)that you did have the struts/shocks replaced!..:)
Not so sure of climate temp change being the cause of this, but I personally know of folks having tire troubles when traveling to such warmer areas. Maybe enhanced by not having tires rotated sooner and already showing some of this wear before you left for "snowbirding".

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So with roughly 21,000 miles,you just had the tires rotated? With an AWD or 4wd, they should be rotated at least every 8 - 10 thousand miles. But glad to hear with as many miles you have on yours (and sounds like good service from it)that you did have the struts/shocks replaced!..:)
Not so sure of climate temp change being the cause of this, but I personally know of folks having tire troubles when traveling to such warmer areas. Maybe enhanced by not having tires rotated sooner and already showing some of this wear before you left for "snowbirding".
How did you figure out that I JUST HAD THE TIRES ROTATED?????:mad: You never inquired about when they were last rotated?:mad:

The fact is I take very good care of my vehicles as per the service manual. I rotate at least every 12,000km or 6 months. So don't lecture me on how I am not caring for my Sorento.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
How did you figure out that I JUST HAD THE TIRES ROTATED?????:mad: You never inquired about when they were last rotated?:mad:

The fact is I take very good care of my vehicles as per the service manual. I rotate at least every 12,000km or 6 months. So don't lecture me on how I am not caring for my Sorento.
And I complimented you on your care and the cars good service back to you. I was only able to surmise care by the figures(mileages) that you posted, you did not give any other maint. info of tire care. Was NOT meant as a "lecture", only trying to help figure out what caused the ABNORMAL tire wear.
Enjoy your rest of your "Snow birding" in Arizona before heading back to Canada!:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I purchased a set of Nokian WRG3 tires on January 10, 2017 at 194299km (12732miles) from KalTire. Yesterday, when my Sorento was in for service it was noticed that I had separation on all four, severe on the rears & lesser on the fronts. The mileage was 238,808km (148388 miles).

There is plenty of warranty left on these tires. My challenge is the tires were purchased in Canada & I am currently snowbirding in Arizona. I'll contact my Canadian dealer this morning to see if they can help me out with getting a warranty rebate with Discount Tire.
Nokian Tires are great tires .I am in Vancouver BC and I changed my OEM tires for Nokian WRG3 one week after i bought my 2016 Cadenza top model and I have never looked back They are amazing in snow and rain . For those who don't know Nokian tires are Finnish and all have snowflakes which is tire rated for winter driving through our mountain highway system( no snow tires needed) .When Kia does my annual service ( no charge ) they rotate and I have never had any of the issues you mentioned ..I assume you bought them at KAL and I am sure they will look after you once back in Alberta Good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

New management at KAL offered me a minor amount for a trade-in on replacement tires. Said that the previous bunch should have done a wheel alignment when they installed the Nokians.
I decided to run these out & when they need replacement get those from Fountain Tire as they have been a trusted supplier for many years. Or, get them in the US when I snowbird.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts