Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Anyone buy tires online? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a stiffer tire due to the poor wear characteristics of the rear end. The inside shoulder of the rear tires wear considerably and Kia says that is unfortunately just the way it is. Apparently there is an aftermarket kit to correct the rear geometry but it is expensive.

I was looking at the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept H437.

Thanks for any thoughts guys.
Curt

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
You can buy tyres on-line but you need to get them fitted. My tyre man tells me his standard charge for fitting "foreign" tyres is $50 per tyre.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy tyres on-line but you need to get them fitted. My tyre man tells me his standard charge for fitting "foreign" tyres is $50 per tyre.
That seems a bit high for where I live. Our local tire shop does 4 mounted and balanced for $75 CDN. Doesn't matter where they are purchased from.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone running Ohtsu? I think they are a sub-brand of Falken. I can get free shipping on the FP7000 so I'm curious how they wear compared to Hankook Ventus V2 Concept H437.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I order from TireRack occasionally. Take a look at their survey's to see what tires get the best ratings out there:

Ultra High Performance All Season

High Performance All Season

I know from personal experience the Yokohama Avid ENVigor's are a very good, affordable high performance all season, and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are an excellent ultra high performance all season.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I order from TireRack occasionally. Take a look at their survey's to see what tires get the best ratings out there:

Ultra High Performance All Season

High Performance All Season

I know from personal experience the Yokohama Avid ENVigor's are a very good, affordable high performance all season, and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are an excellent ultra high performance all season.
Thanks!

Tires are so much less expensive in the USA than Canada. Even with brokerage and taxes as far as I've seen so far. I spoke to a tire company that ships from either their Texas, Arizona, or Ohio warehouse to me in Canada and I still get them cheaper!

I found one Canadian on-line seller that seems to have very good pricing. Same tires and only maybe $20 or $40 more than the USA sites. I'll make a decision shortly and post how it turns out.

Curt

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't always order from TireRack, just depends on the price and availability (checked my tires before a ~600 mile trip one morning last year, had 9 nails in my tires and had to get them replaced that morning in town so didn't get a chance to order what I wanted, lol...). I do like the knowledge base that TireRack provides with actual testing metrics to help me research the best choices. Not many tire sellers have their own test track!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update regarding on-line tire purchase.

I didn't. Thankfully I always check pricing and found our local small town tire shop was less expensive than the same tires found on-line (all things considered)! I was surprised to say the least.

Went with Ohtsu FP7000. Integra Tire had them for $122 each.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should be interesting, let us know how they wear and grip! Never heard of Ohtsu before, looks like a smaller sub-brand of Falken, who is a smaller sub-brand of Sumitomo.

Ohtsu FP7000
Yes, you are correct. Manufactured by Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. in Japan and distributed by Falken Tire Corporation in North America.

I have seen the same model FP7000 on Falken branded tires too.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I wait until Tirerack has a rebate offer. They typically will have a bunch of rebates for different brands, perhaps every 2-3 months or so? Anyway, I ordered the tires delivered to my house, then put in the back of the Rondo and drive to Walmart for installation. I think I got an $80 rebate for a set of 4 tires, bringing the total price to much better than anywhere else I could find. Walmart is a "superstore" that also has an automotive department. They don't mind mounting tires that you buy elsewhere, and they give free lifetime balance/rotation for tires that they mount. The fee for mounting is extremely good, unbelievable.

As for the tire, I got the Hankook Optimo H727. Tirerack did not have the original size, so I got a slightly larger diameter size: 225/55R17

In commuting 35 miles per day on mostly highway, the bigger diameter helped get better fuel mileage, although I think for stop-n-go traffic you may get slightly worse. Anyway, the H727 seems very highly rated, and I love how they run. Overall I'm very satisfied with ordering online at Tirerack and getting installation at Walmart (instead of a tire shop).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wait until Tirerack has a rebate offer. They typically will have a bunch of rebates for different brands, perhaps every 2-3 months or so? Anyway, I ordered the tires delivered to my house, then put in the back of the Rondo and drive to Walmart for installation. I think I got an $80 rebate for a set of 4 tires, bringing the total price to much better than anywhere else I could find. Walmart is a "superstore" that also has an automotive department. They don't mind mounting tires that you buy elsewhere, and they give free lifetime balance/rotation for tires that they mount. The fee for mounting is extremely good, unbelievable.

As for the tire, I got the Hankook Optimo H727. Tirerack did not have the original size, so I got a slightly larger diameter size: 225/55R17

In commuting 35 miles per day on mostly highway, the bigger diameter helped get better fuel mileage, although I think for stop-n-go traffic you may get slightly worse. Anyway, the H727 seems very highly rated, and I love how they run. Overall I'm very satisfied with ordering online at Tirerack and getting installation at Walmart (instead of a tire shop).
Good advice and thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

The Walmart we have will only mount tires that match your door placard exactly. I went over that with them once when I purchased tires from them. I wanted a slightly different size and they said their insurance will not allow them to deviate from the placard. Other tire shops will do whatever will fit in the wheel well! lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I highly recommend Tire Rack. I saved hundreds of dollars using them for Corvette tires, plus the choice is much better. They have all of the info on every tire, and you can compare them side by side. They have a tie in with most of the national chains, and many of the local shops, you get your tires shipped directly to the installer, and the mounting, and balancing are locked in for price, usually the same as the shop charges for tires purchased by them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I highly recommend Tire Rack. I saved hundreds of dollars using them for Corvette tires, plus the choice is much better. They have all of the info on every tire, and you can compare them side by side. They have a tie in with most of the national chains, and many of the local shops, you get your tires shipped directly to the installer, and the mounting, and balancing are locked in for price, usually the same as the shop charges for tires purchased by them.
Thanks, I didn't know they did that.

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
359 Posts
Been VERY happy with Yokohama YK520 purchased at Americas Tire; have 37K miles on' em and still have good tread I had adjustable camber kits installed in April 2010 so the alignment can actually be set up correctly. There is now a Yoko YK580 (non-directional) tire made just for AT. I ditched the staggered fitment on my wife's C230 (had to buy two wheels) and put the YK580s on. Expect to get much better wear life now on the MB. Previous rears wore out in <20K. Lots of scrubbing on wide rear tires on turns.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been VERY happy with Yokohama YK520 purchased at Americas Tire; have 37K miles on' em and still have good tread I had adjustable camber kits installed in April 2010 so the alignment can actually be set up correctly. There is now a Yoko YK580 (non-directional) tire made just for AT. I ditched the staggered fitment on my wife's C230 (had to buy two wheels) and put the YK580s on. Expect to get much better wear life now on the MB. Previous rears wore out in <20K. Lots of scrubbing on wide rear tires on turns.
Do you know who makes the camber kits? I've heard of them and was about to start looking around for our Rondo.

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Raybestos 616-1036

Napa 2643642

Both allow from -1.75 to +1.75 degrees of camber adjustment. Instructions can be found here.
I think that's for the front end? My front end is adjustable and not an issue. I don't have struts in the rear and it's apparently what they call a solid axle. The rear end is what I need a kit for as it chews through tires big time. Not adjustable according to a couple alignment shops and Kia themselves, but they say there is a kit available from aftermarket suppliers. I presume someone who knows what they are doing would have to drill holes through part of the axle assembly and install this thing. Whatever the thing is. If I find one I'll post it.

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
492 Posts
I didn't realize you were wanting adjustable camber for the rear. The only thing I've ever seen for the Rondo is the SPC 67410. It's expensive, but it replaces the rear control arm with an adjustable linkage. Check out their site for more info.

Also on ebay here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts