Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX & 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula
491 Posts
I'm going 235, just waiting to milk the last bit off the stock rubber before, the rainy season starts here in SoCal. I would not think that a 245 would be the best choice. Here is the rationale, and I know nothing. Heat, sidewall stress, possible rubbing max turn in. I don't particularly want to put a 245 on a wheel which stock came with a 225, in the 100+ heat here in southern california, then do 120 for five miles and take a few hard turns to see if same fails. Only going +1 here, to a 235, seems a bit better match. No nothing about physics but it seems intuitive that if one trys to cram a wider tire on a wheel then excess heat will result. Well, have fun with that.

·
Registered
2012 Otima SX, 1972 Camaro
20 Posts
Thanks. I know less than you so can't refute anything you said. I just think the car looks a bit weak from the back with such narrow shoes. Like everything else though.

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX-L Blue
15 Posts
i have 245/45-18 Michelin Primacy tires on my stock 2012 SX rims and my ride is great, noise level low and i have yet to hear any wheel rub in 5K miles. also, makes the car look way more aggressive. hope this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks SX NY. Good to know. they do not rub? Is there much sidewall that extends past the rim with the wider tire?

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX-L Blue
15 Posts
lol - got u, TK27. they do NOT rub at all and the bit of additional sidewall protection they provide the rims has kept them from being scratched, despite regular parallel parking against crazy, jagged curbs and rim-ruining potholes that we are famous for here in NY, NY.

other than the cost, i can't think of any reason not to switch tires. i did it even though my car is a lease. based on the comments, though, i read here and in the other forum, i didn't feel my hankooks would make it to the 36,000 mile mark here in the city. i would much rather enjoy my michelin's from the start than suffer through the hankooks only to have to replace them in the last year of my lease. even a lease needs to be turned in with matched, drive-able tires.

it also doesn't hurt that they look hot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good point on the lease SX NY. I own so I think I will get every last mile out of my OEM tires and then upgrade. If you are so inclined to post a picture or two that would be awesome. Rear view would be great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Goodyear triple tread ???

Has anybody tried a set of the Goodyear triple tread tires yet. I had a set on our last vechicle and I really liked them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Pulled the trigger on BFG Comp 2 :) 235's
Just got them today, so no real comments yet other than the exclamation point indicator on the dash was on (low traction light?), and then after restarting the car for another drive it was off. $924 with tax and tire warranty at Discount Tire. Couple pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 RIV CONVERTIBLE, 2011 KIA OPTIMA SX, 2014 BUICK LACROSSE PREMIUM II
97 Posts
I would be interested to know if gas mileage is affected by the upsized tire.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just figured out why I've had an intermittant tire air pressure light on since the new tires went on. 81 PSI of pressure in the right front. Thank you Discount Tire :(. On another note, my left pull issue seems to be back. Part of me was not looking forward to eventual tire replacement as I suspected this might happen. Hope this does not to become some protracted fix. A car which does not track correctly is so annoying to drive :mad:.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My MPG is about the same and yes my left pull did come back with the new tires and much more noticeable when cold with my summer tires.

·
Registered
491 Posts
^ Did you return to Kia to hassle them about the left pull or? If so, did they give you are hard time about the tire choice? Did they or someone else ultimately resolve the issue? Sorry for all the questions, just a little down, with the car tracking quirky and being $925 lighter in the wallet. On another note, still love the car in Blue, hardly ever, ever see a blue one in SoCal :).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks, the Blue is cool (for the most part) :)
- no I haven't taken it back and don't plan to. It's "OK" when warm and really I'd rather not have them monkey with it vs. the expected current behavior. When I came in on my 30k oil change they tried to SELL me an alignment and trust me they heard from me that THEY should cover this as a known issue and the Service Adviser very quickly stopped that "sell".

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've decided to take my car in Friday and pay to have an alignment done ($100), and think I have 10% off coupon. If it is the same when I get it back, going to write to Kia Corporate again like I did the first time when the car was brand new.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've decided to take my car in Friday and pay to have an alignment done ($100), and think I have 10% off coupon. If it is the same when I get it back, going to write to Kia Corporate again like I did the first time when the car was brand new.
I hope the alignment worked out alright!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Seems to be pretty normal after the alignment :).
Good to hear, since I have to make a visit to failing wheel finish (now on 3 pizza wheels) maybe I will get them to throw in an alignment since this is a repeat issue.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts