Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for feedback and helpful opinions as I am going to get tires around Labor Day. I am considering in this order the following.
I am looking for handling, treadlife and it does (rarely) rain here so I am not 100% sure on summer tires.

-235/45/18

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
50k mile
wear rating 540AA

- Tirerack.com $708+ $60 shipping + $$ to install/balancing and such at local shop
- Discount Tire $728 + fees, stems/rotations/balancing $810 + tax 72.32 = $882.32

Kumho Ecsta 4 KU22
40k mile
WEAR RATING 420
- Tirerack.com $632 - **$50 mail in rebate** - + $60 shipping + $$ to install/balancing and such at local shop
- Discount Tire $664 + fees, stems/rotations/balancing $746 + Tax 66.05 = $812.05 ** ($50 mail in Visa)

General G-Max AS03
40k mile
wear rating 480AA
- Tirerack.com $656+ $60 shipping + $$ to install/balancing and such at local shop
- Discount Tire $680 ** $50 mail in VISA** + fees, stems/rotations/balancing $762.00 + tax 67.62 = $829.62

BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2
WEAR RATING 340AA
- Tirerack.com $692+ $60 shipping + $$ to install/balancing and such at local shop
- Discount Tire $708 + fees, stems/rotations/balancing $790.36 + tax 70.36 = $860.36

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Have you looked at TireRack's tests of any of these tires, owner surveys and owner reviews? I use the extensive breadth and depth of all that information, both objective and subjective, when selecting a tire, not that I always make the best choice :)

The Conti DWS are intriguing, but looking at those various test results and opinions, they seem to get a mix of "love 'em" and "hate 'em" owner comments. They do seem to be far and away the best year-round all-season if snow is in your forecast. If my wife keeps her 2004 Mazda6 wagon long enough, those will probably be her the next tire.

I ended up with Kumho Ecsta 4X as my "summer tires" (don't think that's the same as the Kumho in your group), and would characterize them as pretty good (much better than the OEM Nexens, but that's not saying much), but wish I'd spent the extra for Bridgestone RE970AS, and gone up from 235/45 to 245/45 in size.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, no snow here and if we were going to it - We'd take the VW. Yeah I have looked there and many place, but also want Optima owner feedback.

I am down to two now: 235/45/18 (why did you wish you had 245's, are the 235 not enough difference?)

- Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport(Ultra High Performance Summer)
- BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I am down to two now: 235/45/18 (why did you wish you had 245's, are the 235 not enough ...
No problem with 235/45 as a size, but the RE970AS (and Michelin Primacy that others like for low noise and improved ride) aren't available in 235/45.

Have you looked at Continental DW ( not DWS)? Ohiomoto over on the other forum seems to like his.

I will be interested to hear your final choice, and follow-up when you get them and have used them for a while.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
...As to the DW, it has been on the list, but I keep reading how the DW & DWS are just not as sharp in handling/feedback to the driver:
Tire Test Results : Clash of the Titans: Testing Two New Max Performance Summer Heavy Hitters
"The ExtremeContact DW trails the other three, feeling a little less directly connected with some lag in how it reacts to changes in steering wheel angle."
Yup, that has been my concern also. But the ride and noise comments (along with lower price and weight) are attractive. The Kumho Ecsta 4X's that I'm using, OTOH, we're praised by TR for steering response, and that is certainly one of their strong points. My general feeling is that a tire with "good ride" typically gives less precise steering response, and vice versa. I always end going in the "more performance" direction, even though I tend to be a less aggressive driver than I was in the past.

(I'm watching this thread in the other forum, but it somehow seemed easier to reply here.)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I would agree on the more performance, vs. comfort as well.

OK I got Discount Tire to work a deal on BFGoodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 . I had DT quote originally with the pro-rated replacement and with the "Free replacement" (ended up $99 difference). I then went to Costco and got their quotes (lower than DT) but they only offer the pro-rated coverage.

So with this I went back to DT and basically told my person I had worked with before "I went to Costco and I have their lower pricing and I have 2 options for you to get my $$. Either BEAT their price on the prorated OR I'll go with your original pro-rated price if you throw in the free replacement ($45 more than Costco, but $55 less than their free replacement quote at DT).

Well, they thru in the free replacements and I get them installed next Wed 8/29.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I had not heard that BFGoodrich is now owned by, and so receives technology from Michelin. I will be quite interested to hear your comments about these tires over their life. Good job on getting the pricing you want between Costco and DT.

·
Registered
1983 RIV CONVERTIBLE, 2011 KIA OPTIMA SX, 2014 BUICK LACROSSE PREMIUM II
97 Posts
Can I ask?

How many miles did you get out of your original Nexens? I have 15K on mine now and I am anxious to replace them, but I won't do it until they are worn out. They look like they will last another 15K.

I will also be interested to hear how you like your new tires. Although I think I lean more towards wanting quiet over handling....yeah, I am old.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
25,500 right now, rears at the wear bars and front have a little bit more thanks to regular rotations. The tires arrived yesterday so I might get them installed tomorrow (Sat) and will advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are on and so far so good, quieter than the Nexens, handling seems strong but haven't really gotten to try them out yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
- So far I am liking the tires, I do hear a little "tire growl" on either side of 30ish but still so much quieter than the Nexens!
I am not noticing any balancing issues .. I went 5 mph gaps from 55 to 95 Saturday evening, no strange tire behavior. The tire slap is about the same, but i think the new tires actually transmit just a little less than the Nexens. I am happy with them so far and we are possibly getting rain later this week so we shall see how they do!
For $867 out the door with free replacement tire warranty, I am pleased so far!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you!

Keep those cards and letters coming. This will be very helpful to me in a few months.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I have almost 400 miles on the tires so far and I still am happy with them. There is a little tread roar/noise at certain speeds but the tires as a whole are MUCH quieter than the Nexen they replaced.
MPG's seem about the same so far and still very pleased with my choice. Hope we get some rain this week (we always need it here) to see how they do before we dry up til "winter".

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update from 9/12/12 that I thought I had posted here -
OK so we've had some rain here ... light rain to downpours and well I tell ya I am more than impressed with these tires for sure.
Sure I can break them free but you have give it a bit more go/effort into doing so. They have not hydroplaned or even felt close to doing so (up to 90mph), road holding seems very solid and MUCH better than the OEM's ever were.

10/18/12
So still loving the tires and very pleased with their performance. Still seem to be doing great, the turn in and grip are strong, road noise (except for grooved concrete) are much quieter!
I will say that until they warm up, my left pull is a little stronger, but once warm not so much.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX & 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula
491 Posts
Thanks for posting up, I need to get some new tires soon (46K on the Nexens), and was looking at the exact choice you went with. This settles it, I'm getting same :).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow. 46K on your Nexens. I don't think I will see 28K on mine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for posting up, I need to get some new tires soon (46K on the Nexens), and was looking at the exact choice you went with. This settles it, I'm getting same :).
:clap: :clap: :clap:

- I hope you enjoy them as I do, really am pleased with my purchase, only wish the 235's had been available at the time.

·
Registered
2012 Otima SX, 1972 Camaro
20 Posts
Tire Width

Does anyone know how wide of a tire you can put on an SX without getting rub issues?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe 245, but watch how large of a wheel size you go. That will make the real difference on rubbing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts