Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige-2009 ST1300 Honda MC-Wife's: 2016 Soul+ Bright Silver
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to replace my tires at 50,000 miles.
They are not completely worn out yet but I want tires much better for the snow than my stock Hankooks.
I'm leaning toward Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's , they have good ratings but are expensive at close to $200. each

Any other recommendations ?

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
808 Posts
One reason I'm switching to 225.60.17 is they're cheaper than the 245.45.19's.
I did that with my winter tire & wheel setup and was very happy.
I will be changing my summer setup next year and as of now I like the Continental True Contact tires at $176 each.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
The Yokohama YK 740 GTX ($160) looks okay too but the small siping does not look cut as deep as it should be.
A high quality tire will have the siping cut as deep as the larger tread.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
318 Posts
I have the Ascends on my 2020 SX. Bought them last October for my 2017 SX and loved them so much I had them replace the Michelins that were on the 2020 with the Yokohamas. They are super in the wet, great in the dry, and more than acceptable in snow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX
126 Posts
Definitely consider downsizing. The smaller tire options are all around better rated (in most conditions) and cheaper, and new wheels aren't that expensive. I went with Goodyear Weatherready 225/60R-17 for their snow performance.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
28 Posts
I put Michelin x-ice 3 tires on my Sportage last winter and they work great up here in Alaska. You can also leave them on in the summer and that's a great feature of these tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am ready to replace my tires at 50,000 miles.
They are not completely worn out yet but I want tires much better for the snow than my stock Hankooks.
I'm leaning toward Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's , they have good ratings but are expensive at close to $200. each

Any other recommendations ?
I've had Avid Ascends that went 82K miles. I wish I had replaced them with the same but after moving to coastal NC I couldn't find a Yokohama dealer. I went with Kumho Crugen which was the WORST wearing tire I've ever had. Trashed at 28K with NO help from dealer, after they rotated every 5K and did 4 wheel alignment a number of times. From there I got Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country Tour. It's a bit noisy. But, has the scariest handling characteristics I've ever had from a tire. Downright attention getting. I'm no longer driving the car much but am considering biting the bullet and buying another set of Avid Ascends. My 2013 V6 Sorento has 166K on it and I drive 6K yearly with it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,702 Posts
I've had Avid Ascends that went 82K miles. I wish I had replaced them with the same but after moving to coastal NC I couldn't find a Yokohama dealer. I went with Kumho Crugen which was the WORST wearing tire I've ever had. Trashed at 28K with NO help from dealer, after they rotated every 5K and did 4 wheel alignment a number of times. From there I got Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country Tour. It's a bit noisy. But, has the scariest handling characteristics I've ever had from a tire. Downright attention getting. I'm no longer driving the car much but am considering biting the bullet and buying another set of Avid Ascends. My 2013 V6 Sorento has 166K on it and I drive 6K yearly with it.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I have the Ascends on my 2020 SX. Bought them last October for my 2017 SX and loved them so much I had them replace the Michelins that were on the 2020 with the Yokohamas. They are super in the wet, great in the dry, and more than acceptable in snow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I'll give you $100 for your set of Michelins :devilish:

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
318 Posts
The Michelins were kept by the dealership, as I was just having them swap the tires from my 2017 to the 2020. I assume that they either put them on the 2017, or something else.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX
47 Posts
I just replaced mine the other day, I happened to go with the Michelin ProContact LS. Too early to provide a review of them myself but they're rated much better than the OEM Kumho Crugen tires. I'll echo what N2141R said above, those Kumho tires sucked. They were pretty much done at about 26k miles and they were absolutely terrifying in even a tiny bit of snow. Whatever you do, I'd avoid those!

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige-2009 ST1300 Honda MC-Wife's: 2016 Soul+ Bright Silver
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did go with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's last week (10/17/19). Too early for an evaluation.
I immediately noticed that my steering effort was noticeably lighter and the tire pressures were right on.
I know its subjective but these Yoko's feel real good, ride good and the garage did an excellent balance job.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ken, thanks for the update. I was just in for an oil change today and I had a great view of all four tires - I will not be in the tire market for quite some time - very even all around and quite a lot of tread left at 30K miles. However, I am avidly pursuing tires for the wife's Odyssey and will keep the Yokos in mind for the Sportage.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I did go with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's last week (10/17/19). Too early for an evaluation.
I immediately noticed that my steering effort was noticeably lighter and the tire pressures were right on.
I know its subjective but these Yoko's feel real good, ride good and the garage did an excellent balance job.
I just had a chance to compare up close the Continental tires I was looking to buy and the Yokohama's.
Now I think the Yokohama's look better and have deeper siping than I thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts